Pole not plumb????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

toolnutbelew

Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
HI,
I have always made sure that my mast (pole) is very plumb. But about 3 months ago I went to a customer house to do my install. Upon arrival there was an existing dish mounted to his brick under the eave. He requested that I used the existing dish but I notice from looking that it wasn't plumb but he insisted the people he purchased it from used it.
After checking the skew I found it was set on 110 instead of our normal 120. So to make a happy customer I figured I would at least try it. The previous was just a single receiver so I put on a LNB and tried a receiver and to my surprise the check switch came back with ALL and I had a signal strength of 122 on 119 and 114 on 110.
It really surprised me that it would work. I do believe if I would have plumbed the mast then the eave would have blocked the 110 signal.
Would like to hear from other installers on this type situation.
thanks

My 61.5 is off kilter so that I can't avoid my rook peak while being strapped to the chimney.
Having a plumb mast isn't really needed for a single sat dish, as there easy to peak. Plumness is mostly needed for multi-sat dishes, as the skew settings are given for a plumb mast.
But as shown, you can pull in the signals with trail and error without a plumb mast, just takes longer.
I would never do a superdish without a plumb mast, as they are hell to peak in the first place.

Seems like the last installer compensated for the skew being off by adjusting it 10 degrees. The plumbness for the skew is more important than for the elevation since the elevation can be adjusted a lot easier than the skew. The skew is supposed to be set on a particular number then left alone.

I have had to put superdishes off plumb because of a eave or some other object.
As long as you know to compensate for it it will be fine.
The only dishes I have seen that absolutely need to be plumb is Dway.

yeah, i've done a couple off plumb to get far enough off a wall, or away from the eave... or whatever. it just takes some tweaking to get everything compensated right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts