Pole to raise dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Hi,

A installer will be coming this saturday to install a dish pointed at 61.5. I already know that, currently I don't have line of sight (at least from one position) for the satellite (lowest angle is 20, and It would have to be around 15 to see 61.5). So, I want to try to add an extension to the dish hoping that it will do the trick. my questions are:

1. Are there any comercially available "extension poles" that I can buy to just hand it to the installer on Saturday?
2. If no available poles, does anyone know the approximate width of a pole I'd need to get that would fit both the lower part of the dish (the part that gets attached to the roof) and the part behind the dish? I guess I could just go around and measure it, but in case someone has done something similar, an in put would be appreciated.
3. How tall can the pole be and still be stable? I'm having this up on the roof so I don't want the whole structure to fall because of the weight, or wind, etc.

Thanks!

The standard dish mounting base can be attached to a mast using U bolts. I'd say anything much over 5' - 6' should be guyed to avoid swaying in the wind. I've got my 61.5 dish mounted on my TV antenna mast (20') at about the 12' - 13' mark, which is right above where the first guy wires attach at 10' so it's pretty stable.

Doug

Attachments

• HT 019.jpg
    HT 019.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 199
Nice setup Doug. The mast would definitely be swaying in the breeze if not for the guy wires. Job well done.

dougmcbride said:
The standard dish mounting base can be attached to a mast using U bolts. I'd say anything much over 5' - 6' should be guyed to avoid swaying in the wind. I've got my 61.5 dish mounted on my TV antenna mast (20') at about the 12' - 13' mark, which is right above where the first guy wires attach at 10' so it's pretty stable.

Doug

Very nice indeed. Thanks!

Thanks guys. I did it overkill just so I wouldn't have to do it over again since it is such a PITA to take care of. Plus we don't want that sat dish waving around when the wind blows. I actually used 1/8" plastic covered wire rope as guy wires instead of the regular antenna mast wire as it rusts over time and a strong blow will snap it (as evidenced by experience). Not this stuff... :D Didn't cost that much more and now I'm done until the roof gets redone in about 5 years.

Cheers,

Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts