Policing of The Pit

Status
Not open for further replies.
if a mod gets involved in a pit report, they need to read the entire thread before closing it/deleting a post.. generally a parental "keep it down in there" needs to be piped up more often than any action..

Yes which is why I nominate Kevin. He can see between the "playing" and figure out what is really trouble and what is just having fun.

Of the top 50 posters on this site by post count 28 of them I recall posting in the pit at least once in the last 30 days, and a good % of them posted way more then once

Here is the thing I see about moderating in the pit... in the general forums if people start calling each other chickens#$% or sh@$ head, its going to be caught quickly, and dealt with immediately. Numerous reported posts, and lots of staff seeing it to deal quickly.

Because not everyone goes into the pit, and even those who do don't read everything, stuff that would be dealt with quickly in the other threads are not necessarily seen except for a reported post.

In many ways the problem would go away if the pit-users would not report stuff (but they do, and quite regularly actually), so the so-called banter between friends in the pit (who love to name-call at each other, even if it usually involves a hidden ;) ) does violate the rules of the site. AND so if we moderate something in the pit, its like holy hell has been unleashed. Witness today.

That does not justify posting multiple threads criticizing staff decisions. Or expecting that we will allow Anything to happen in pit, and make it a moderator-free zone. That ain't gonna happen. Nor are we likely to designate pit-only moderators; the staff have moderator power over the whole site. That said, do I do much in the FTA area? No, but I have been taught by Iceberg how to recognize hackers, and will gladly nuke them as I encounter them.

And if a staff member moderates a pit thread because by all standards it violates the terms of the site, so be it. Just don't assume that anything goes, because you click a button to enter the pit.

Here is the thing I see about moderating in the pit... in the general forums if people start calling each other chickens#$% or sh@$ head, its going to be caught quickly, and dealt with immediately. Numerous reported posts, and lots of staff seeing it to deal quickly.

Because not everyone goes into the pit, and even those who do don't read everything, stuff that would be dealt with quickly in the other threads are not necessarily seen except for a reported post.

In many ways the problem would go away if the pit-users would not report stuff (but they do, and quite regularly actually), so the so-called banter between friends in the pit (who love to name-call at each other, even if it usually involves a hidden ;) ) does violate the rules of the site. AND so if we moderate something in the pit, its like holy hell has been unleashed. Witness today.

That does not justify posting multiple threads criticizing staff decisions. Or expecting that we will allow Anything to happen in pit, and make it a moderator-free zone. That ain't gonna happen. Nor are we likely to designate pit-only moderators; the staff have moderator power over the whole site. That said, do I do much in the FTA area? No, but I have been taught by Iceberg how to recognize hackers, and will gladly nuke them as I encounter them.

And if a staff member moderates a pit thread because by all standards it violates the terms of the site, so be it. Just don't assume that anything goes, because you click a button to enter the pit.

How about removing the access to the pit of those who want to complain? That should get rid of that problem quickly.

I am in the pit every once in a while but I don't hang out there. If a rule is violated, it doesn't matter if it happens in Chit Chat or in the Pit. It is still a violation of rules.

Wow!! I never thought I would hear of people boo-hooing :riverand whining:( from the PIT.....

People actually complain about PIT posts??:what

Wait, is there not a disclaimer about how rough it gets in the PIT?? :exclamati

Of course for a disclaimer to work, one would have to assume that it is being read...Imagine that!:eureka:

People actually reading a warning label....and then taking it's advice!!
That's so crazy it just might work!!....Oh wait!!:yikes

I forgot some people are stricken with selective reading....:rolleyes:

Thats a great idea. Make the report button create a post in a sub forum in the pit so we can see who is being a cry baby and reporting a post :)

I have actually thought of that idea actually. :D

I'll vote for that :up

Also the practice of sending posts to The Pit that get out of control in the other forums needs to end. It draws in posters who don't understand what The PIT is about and who otherwise would/should never go there.

NightRyder

I'll vote for that :up

Also the practice of sending posts to The Pit that get out of control in the other forums needs to end. It draws in posters who don't understand what The PIT is about and who otherwise would/should never go there.

NightRyder
Ditto Dat.:up Then too, I see mods actually say things like "clean up" the thread by sending it to the PIT. I beg your pardon???

It gives the non-PITers the impression that we are a bunch of unwashed out of control hooligans....Well.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts