Policy change or Directv screw up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Travis798

Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Oklahoma
Hi everyone.

I've been with directv for about 4 years now and have been pretty happy with them overall. My sister used to have them years ago, but got service disconnected due to non payment. Now that my Niece is out and living on her own, she tried to sign up only to find that somehow directv has her on my sisters old account (she was maybe 14 at the time) and refuses to let her sign up until the other account is paid.

Since this really is the fault of her mother and not of her own, I decided I would help her out. I called directv and told them I needed to open up a second account for a second home. I was eventually transferred to the movers department, where they assured me they do this all the time and it will not be a problem. We went through all the motions, and everything seemed fine. They told me that since it was a new account but not a new customer, I was not eligible for the new customer pricing. I told them that was fine, I would just cancel my current account that is not under contract and sign up with Dish at my house. They told me they would go ahead and give me a credit to make up for the difference in new customer pricing, and could either credit my existing account or add the credit to the new account once it is active. I told them to apply it to the new account since I will be giving my niece that bill.

Fast forward to her install on Thursday, and she calls me telling me the installer is asking about my receivers and where they are. She told him her install is supposed to be a new account and not an upgrade, and my receivers are at my house. He gets on the phone for a bit, says he has it figured out, and everything is good.

A little later, I flip channels to watch something, and it comes up channel not purchased. The channel did come with my choice extra classic package. I jump online, and notice her receivers are under my account, my package had been downgraded to what her install package was supposed to be, and even though I told them to leave the same billing address for both bills, it had been changed to her address. Okay, I'm now in violation of Directv TOS through no fault of my own.

I call in to get everything fixed, and they informed me they simply merged the accounts as it is easier and cheaper for me. I told them that is against the TOS, which is why I didn't do it before, since I now have service at 2 addresses under the same account. They assured me that it was fine and there would be no problems. They also told me that even though my niece got a Genie, there was no type of commitment renewal on my part. My current account is still not under contract. All she did was change my billing address back to my address. Service address still shows at my nieces house. She was going to change that back as well, but I told her it really didn't matter which address that was under.

Is this a new policy for Directv? I surely wouldn't thnk so, but the rep I talked to assured me everything was fine and I don't need to worry. I don't want to have my account closed and be banned from Directv.. Should I leave everything like they set it up, or keep calling and trying to fix this?

I could be wrong but I believe they do it by address and name. When I Resigned I had to use a new number and use my wife's name since I had Directv in my name in the past. (To sign up as a new customer)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

LOL, since DirecTV is basically giving you permission, get the everything package, split the bill, and be happy. lol.

Would be nice if you had the phone conversations recorded though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts