pole installation in winter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

waltah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
NE Ohio
Hey folks, can anyone elaborate on what a pole mount actually entails? do they have to pour concrete or not? Will there be any issues for the tech since it is winter and the ground is hard?

thanks

The installer at my house last month dug a small hole, put pole in the ground, and did use that Kwik-Crete concrete. It was above 32 degrees. Hope this helps. :)

Hey folks, can anyone elaborate on what a pole mount actually entails? do they have to pour concrete or not? Will there be any issues for the tech since it is winter and the ground is hard?

thanks

It does need concrete. If the ground is solid the tech can use his mortar drill bit and break through then start the dig but this isn't always going to happen. I try but if its too cold, it's not happening. Also, if it does, don't expect the tech to trench the line up. If the ground is that solid you'll end up having to bury it yourself come spring or when the ground warms up enough to break through easily

I use a gas powered auger and have had no problems as long there is no packed clay. as far burying cable it all depends on how far I have to trench. if the pole is within 10 feet of house I will bury the cable using some special tools I made. if more then 10 feet I ask the customer to call me when ground is soft and when I am in their area I will come and bury the cable.

The other approach is a temporary mount. This could be a non penetrating roof mount; like a tray with a pole and weight to keep it stable.. The cable gets run along the ground with lumber, sand or mulch dumped on it to control trippine etc. The whole mess gets redone in the spring.

Even if you succeed in digging into frozen earth it will loosen up when it thaws. The soil will have to be tamped against the concrete.

Try to put the dish on the building.

Joe

I am an installer. Winter digs are pretty hard due to frozen ground. You can pour hot water onto the ground and dig but it does take longer to do the job. You may also have an installer that will decline the dig. Put it on the building if you can. The non penetrating mount is a option if you don't want to or can't put it on the building.

Now if you had the hole dug prior to the techs arrival it would be REALLY appreciated on his part and make his day a lot easier. If he has three installs after you, he may get to them a lot sooner if he did not have to dig a hole.

i actually opted for the roof mount, it worked out perfectly because the dish is hidden off on a side roof that extends from the house.

tech was great, he had everything for the pole install and was willing to give it a go. almost seemed like he wanted to do it, we chatted a bit and decided to go ahead with the roof. Tony in CNY is the man.

Its great you let him install on the house. In winter here in ND the frost can go down more than 24 inches this time of year.
Your not going to get me to install a pole this time of year.

I do pole installs but really, they are so ugly! The roof mounts are in the end more stable than pole mounts. The poles used in Directv installs has such a thin wall the dish can flop around quite a bit. If the pole is mounted int they yard it is forever in your way.

I do pole installs but really, they are so ugly! The roof mounts are in the end more stable than pole mounts. The poles used in Directv installs has such a thin wall the dish can flop around quite a bit. If the pole is mounted int they yard it is forever in your way.

Mine is mounted up close to the house but yes, they can look nasty at times! I always pour concrete in the pole for 1) it keeps it from rusting out and 2) it keeps the pole and dish much more solid and sturdy

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)