POLL: Ala Carte

andrzej said:
Excuse me. Do you expect anybody to vote No?
I don't expect so, but somebody probably will. If there was Ala Carte, I would unsubscribe to all of the SD programming. If it is not in HD, then I do not want it. I would also only subscribe to only one feed of HBO. I do not need 2 feeds of HBO, especially once the DVR comes out.

Jerry

;) What channel is Ala Carte on?

If it's in HD, then I want it, if it isn't, then it better be Sci Fi, Food or HGTV.

:rolleyes:

You need to explain what you mean by Ala Carte. If you are talking about adding additional channels (e.g. Spanish channels) and making them Ala Carte, I would vote YES.

But you are probably talking about making existing (21 HD channels) Ala Carte. And I vote NO on this. Here are my reasons:

To maintain the average bill at the same level as now, VOOM will have to charge significant amount of money for each Ala Carte channel, so that those who subscribe to those channels would pay for those who don't subscribe to them. In other words, we would end-up paying more money for less channels. And those of us who want as many HD channels as we can get would be in a disadvantage.

Of course it would be nice if current packages could stay at the same price level, but we would be able to save some money by removing some channels from our subscription. But realistically this is not going to happen!

What Ilya said.

Sadly, ala carte will mean higher prices for the same channels. Possibly much higher. We would end up with less channels for more money.

I wish Voom had a tier for their service for JUST their HD channels. We still have Directv and really don't watch any of the SD.

i'd like to get one channel of HBO (The Wire and Boxing), but won't pay $15.00 for a bunch of channels. So, for now, it's Marquee baby!

lostcause said:
What Ilya said.

Sadly, ala carte will mean higher prices for the same channels. Possibly much higher. We would end up with less channels for more money.
I vote for more quality of channels... not quantity of bad channels. So if that means less channels, but more quality then I will take it. Even if that means more money, which long term won't happen.

Jerry

I have said this before about a la carte. I am willing to pay the same amount to not get certain channels. It gives me the ability to vote with my pocketbook, which no one can do currently with the tier pricing. Think about it. Wouldn't some of you pay the same overall so none of your money goes to FoxNews but more goes to CNN? Or vice/versa? Maybe you hate sports and don't like the idea of paying 5% of your bill to ESPN. You'd rather that money go to the French-Canadian circus-folk channel.

A few years ago, Dish had DishPix where you could choose 15 programs out of a bunch of about 30 and sub to them for $19/month. I chose that route because they offered a few shows like Sci-Fi, Discovery, AMC and TCM that were only available in a higher price tier.

I want Ala Carte if it means I can remove what I don't want and pay less.

I don't want Ala Carte if it means I can select what I want and pay more.

Basically, I want everything, and I want to pay nothing. What a concept.

1080iBeVuMin said:
I want Ala Carte if it means I can remove what I don't want and pay less.

I don't want Ala Carte if it means I can select what I want and pay more.

Unfortunately given the way cable and sat companies are, this would never happen. No way in hell will they let you drop channels ala carte and lower your rates. If you really wanted the same channels you have now, you would probably end up paying a lot more. Trust me...if they are forced to go ala carte, they will turn it into a way to make lots more money.

Ok...let me get this strait. Cable and Satellite make more money AND the consumer gets what he/she wants or chooses. The bad part is short term it will cost the consumer more money until competion between the channels begin which should lower pricing eventually. Basically its like getting a booster shot as a kid, short term pain for long term health. I figure its worth a try. So who has a few billon dollars kicking around?

-Chris-

-Chris

It would be a strong possibility that the government would subsidize this until the ala carte system had fully realized its financial benefits for the consumer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)