BD price per disc if Warner is going blue

• Total voters

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Just curious what people think will happen to BD disc prices if Warner is in fact going blue.

obviously I'm a complete newcomer here... but why the heck do they call it BD for Blu-Ray Disc? That is completely non-intuitive. I had to look it up. It should be BRD.

Say goodbye to BOGO free. Plus $39.99 becomes the norm even for catalogs. I doubt Sony and the BDA will continue to subsidize disc replication. We'll see the real costs.

Pr0n and the indys that barely supported HD-DVD will stick to SD DVD and only release on Blu for the surefire killer titles. Maybe, just maybe... "Digital Video Essentials" will finally come out on Blu.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw laserdisc level pricing for Blu-Ray in the near future. :eek:

I voted stay the same (but I believe that is only in the short term). I believe unless large scale adoption occurs then prices will rise and BD will stay niche or be rental only.

Its funny, higher BD prices will just slow down BD sales and speed up HD DVD sales who will run more BOGO's. I see a see-saw patttern in front of us. Fine by me, since I own both I will just buy the best deal. F*ck the silly war.

In the near future, the BDA will still be promoting adoption of their format by the next tier of consumers, thereby keeping prices down and offering specials. They'll also be going after the HD DVD expatriates, who can finally get those Disney, Fox, and Columbia titles they've been dying to own. I predict prices to stay the same, but not as many BOGOs that we saw during the holiday season when both camps were battling it out for supremacy (and Warner).

In the near future, the BDA will still be promoting adoption of their format by the next tier of consumers, thereby keeping prices down and offering specials. They'll also be going after the HD DVD expatriates, who can finally get those Disney, Fox, and Columbia titles they've been dying to own. I predict prices to stay the same, but not as many BOGOs that we saw during the holiday season when both camps were battling it out for supremacy (and Warner).

This is what i am Hoping for!

Fine by me, since I own both I will just buy the best deal. F*ck the silly war.

This is how i feel also!:up

I think that the prices of the actual movies will not really be affected by this. The BOGO's will go away but the price of players will not come down in price for some time.

I think you will see prices of the players continue a downward slide. No reason for them to stay up when more will be sold and as you know when more are sold the price for electronics goes down. As for the movies, I think that the BOGOs have shown that we are willing to buy more movies if they are priced more reasonable. I think we will see prices for BDs settle into the $24 to $28 range for new releases and $30 to $35 for special releases. Much the same as DVDs were just 4 years ago.

I think we will see prices for BDs settle into the $24 to $28 range for new releases and $30 to $35 for special releases. Much the same as DVDs were just 4 years ago.
too high when we have been used to getting 2 BD's from AMazon for 30 dollars total on BOGO's.

If they want to crack the masses, the discs have to be under $19.99, otherwise it's just you, me, and the other folks who actually read this forum.

too high when we have been used to getting 2 BD's from AMazon for 30 dollars total on BOGO's.

I agree with you Vurbano but if you consider that a new release would be priced at 20% off the first week you would see prices on new releases at $20 to $23 for a BD release. That is a price that most would buy at as we have been buying at those prices from Amazon.com for awhile when not making purchases thru a BOGO.

The prices will stay the way they are now. The BOGO is all but gone. Sony and the Blu group got what they were wanting with all the BOGO sales by faking numbers to get WB. I can only hope that the Blu group gets a 2.0 player out soon otherwise no Blu for me.

I suspect in the long run prices will drop. If BD becomes as common as DVD, stores will have new release loss leaders in BD. I suspect a new release will go 30-40 then after a month drop down to 20-30 eventually settling 10-20. It will be a while before old BDs go to the $5 walmart clearance bin.

Short term prices will not rise, but stay the same. This will be a price increase though since I think that sales will be less frequent and it will be a while before stores start using them as loss leaders like they do with DVDs.

BD took out HD-DVD out, now its time for them to take out DVD, in order for us to do that is to keep the prices the same or lower, production cost will keep going down.
so the chances for BD prices to go up, from where it stands now are 1/10.

everyone that thinks prices are going to go up I believe has some kind of hatred for Sony to say that. In order for Blu Ray to become An item for the masses then the Blu ray board has to find ways to cut costs and get the price down to Dvd Prices or Just above...I for one wait till I see a movie on sale at wally world or amazon before I buy and I am sure that alot of others do....guess what that sends a message and these companies arent stupid, they know our price point and I am 100% sure they are working towards it.

I really don't see a price drop any time in the near future. There is too much money that needs to be recouped at this point. Especially since I've seen the $500 million dollar figure attached to Warner. Don't get me wrong, I think Toshiba had that same figure out there, also. When the BD studio decided not to turn with Warner, their decision was made to end this. There are also the production line numbers and costs. Not enough production lines to replace DVD and the cost to refit a line is 10x the cost of an HD DVD production line. Players aren't bringing in cash. The best selling BD player is the PS3 and we all know that it is losing money.

Hopefully BD prices will go down. Sony and Fox prices are totally outrageous $38.99 and up MSRP? Give me a break. $29.99 for a catalog title after 30% off at Amazon? Give me another break.

So now at this point. I don't see prices dropping on players or movies. Even Sony said players are expected to remain at $399 this year. Hence, HDM will still not become a mainstream product.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)