Poll: Fire Stick or Roku?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fire Stick or Roku?

• Fire Stick

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Roku

Votes: 27 79.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Again, I haven't read the entire thread, but there are plenty of videos that explain how to disable that advertising and remove some of the bloatware, plus stop it from auto-downloading/updating
I understand. And I have incorporated some of the "fixes" on the firestick. It's just that my family prefers the roku interface overall. Both formats have pluses and minuses. Competition is good. The world would be a boring place if there was only vanilla ice cream. Before you say anything, I love vanilla ice cream. ;)

I am dumbfounded; I never expected to be able to do that. Once you connect a thumb drive (can it be bigger?) to a FireTV Stick, do additional menu options appear? Is the recording on the thumb drive accessible from a PC?
Extra options don't appear, but some apps that stream live TV, have the option to record if storage is available. There are a few on the LG Store I might install to check and see. My buddy is going to try a 2TB EHD connected by USB so I'll let you know when he does.

Reactions: TheKrell
I already have the ethernet adapter attached to my Firestick. I am trying to picture how I might add this adapter to my existing setup.
This is mine without the ethernet connector.
PXL_20201216_020209452.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using the SatelliteGuys app!

I wonder if I could plug in the ethernet connector either in front of or just behind the other adaptor. It might be worth a few bucks to find out.
I had mine attached that way. It's just cascading Micro-USB slots but it seemed like I had a faster connection with WiFi than Ethernet when I did a speed test - although I'm not sure how accurate that test was. That was before my Velop routers were all hardwired to a Switch, though. I might try ti again when I get a chance this week

Again, I haven't read the entire thread, but there are plenty of videos that explain how to disable that advertising and remove some of the bloatware, plus stop it from auto-downloading/updating
I don't believe it is totally removed but rather disabled.
We have done that on one of our 4k firesticks and it did not free up any more space, however it did disable the amazon apps we did not want running in the background and updating things when we did not want it to.
The process can be undone very quickly so there is no harm done to the firestick.
The app we loaded allowed us to pick and choose which items we did not want running that can pre-loaded in the firestick. Left only Amazon Prime on it as we have side-loaded our own apps we wanted and that is basically only what is used on that firestick.
Now the only ad is Amazon prime videos and nothing more.
Once again without this thread we would not have known about all these tricks that can be done! :hatsoff

Reactions: HipKat
I had mine attached that way. It's just cascading Micro-USB slots but it seemed like I had a faster connection with WiFi than Ethernet when I did a speed test - although I'm not sure how accurate that test was. That was before my Velop routers were all hardwired to a Switch, though. I might try ti again when I get a chance this week
I've ordered the equipment and it will be here tomorrow. I'll find out! :)

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
I can get better throughput through wi-fi than ethernet on my firesticks, but I use ethernet to keep the noise floor low in my house, so the devices that do need wi-fi get the best experience.

Regarding storage space: my 55" Insignia TV with FireTV only has about 4GB of reported storage, but it seems to need a lot less than my FS4Ks. It has about 1.5GB available with all the same apps installed as on the sticks, which typically have only a few hundred MBs available. Anyway, I thought this was odd.

I found that I was getting a lot of buffering via wifi on my Firestick, even with 200 down, so I went ethernet and haven't had an issue since.

Reactions: HipKat
Extra options don't appear, but some apps that stream live TV, have the option to record if storage is available.
Oh, nuts. Which apps allow you to store the stream? I was hoping that Prime Video was one of them, but I'll bet not. What fs should be used on the thumb drive?
I've ordered the equipment and it will be here tomorrow. I'll find out! :)
Mine arrive Friday. ;) I doubt I'll have much use for the storage, though.

Oh, nuts. Which apps allow you to store the stream? I was hoping that Prime Video was one of them, but I'll bet not. What fs should be used on the thumb drive?

I haven't done it as of yet, but Prime Video has offered me the chance to download certain movies before. I just don't yet have this adapter and a way to do it with either my Firestick or new just set up Chromecast with Google Tv.

I'd guess just apps that have Live TV with Program Guides. Pluto, etc? I use an app called Tivimate (paid version) which you can run various streaming sources through via MTO or a direct URL. Tivimate has a record option.

Here's a video, too that may help. It uses a capture card, though

With HBO Max now on Roku, that gives them every major streamer. Can't see how they are not the winner.

I agree. Roku’s UI is simpler in many ways, only lacking any semblance of an ‘up next’ strip for other than channels purchased through Roku.

Amazon’s FireTV is no slouch, but the UI is very much Prime/Amazon oriented. For me the plus with FireTV is the Recast OTA DVR. Works so well, integrated well and offers DD5.1 audio.

With HBO Max now on Roku, that gives them every major streamer. Can't see how they are not the winner.
If they added BlueTooth headphone functionality I might give Roku the win. Their wi-fi or app "private listening" is buggy and burns through batteries.

Edit: I see the latest Ultra has BT. I can't tell whether it support BT headphones though.

I am getting pretty annoyed at the lack of one perfect device. I run into annoying problems with all of them. I thought I had settled on AppleTV, and then the latest tvOS update changed ff/rw behavior for IR remotes to the point that neither of the ones I have is as functional as I had hoped. Tonight I am back to trying the FS4K in the living room, but I was reminded that the CBS AA app on FireTV has an issue where ff/rw are way too fast when doing something like trying to skip the titles on ST: Disco.

Can we have an AMEN on the one perfect box!! :)

Tonight the audio from the AirTV on the 2020 Ultra just was off in an irritating way. Same AirTV on the FireTV Cube was much better. Of course just stereo.

On the Ultra the CBS app decided it didn’t have any audio until I rebooted it.

And of course my favorite on the AppleTV and HULU not doing DD5.1.

• Sad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)