Poll: Fire Stick or Roku?

Fire Stick or Roku?

• Fire Stick

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Roku

Votes: 27 79.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The AppleTV is an excellent choice and hopefully you’ll like the universal remote with it.

I always had issues with FireTV sticks and I always thought it was poor WiFi performance on them. Now I have a 2nd Gen FireTV Cube and it has worked flawlessly both wired and WiFi. I like its remote a whole lot better.

I did try the 2nd Gen cube a while back. It was fine, and it still has the flexibility of side-loading apps like the Sticks. The remote was the same as my Firestick 4K remotes, which we generally like. I didn't have any networking issues with it. It didn't seem like it was worth the extra cost vs. the 4K stick if you already have the stick, unless you want to use Alexa for more things, then its true value becomes apparent.

The One For All Streaming remote. The reviews are a bit mixed, but I think the negative ones are largely due to people not wanting to learn how to program it. At least it is inexpensive, and might solve my Roku remote issues if I don't keep the AppleTV.

I have two of those remotes, you'll love it. It's just a simple learning remote with a nicely weighted feel in your hand. The buttons have great tactile feedback and the backlighting is excellent.

Reactions: mackie99 and ncted
I have two of those remotes, you'll love it. It's just a simple learning remote with a nicely weighted feel in your hand. The buttons have great tactile feedback and the backlighting is excellent.

I didn't have the chance to setup the remote yet, but the AppleTV 4k is very nice so far. It has a smoothness to it that no other devices I've tried do, even the NVIDIA Shield products. Apps load so fast, and the UI is so responsive. It ought to be good given the price though. Anyway, I hope to try out the remote tomorrow some time.

Reactions: KAB
I didn't have the chance to setup the remote yet, but the AppleTV 4k is very nice so far. It has a smoothness to it that no other devices I've tried do, even the NVIDIA Shield products. Apps load so fast, and the UI is so responsive. It ought to be good given the price though. Anyway, I hope to try out the remote tomorrow some time.
I got a refurbed one this weekend. Really like it so far. The only problem I've had is navigating the Apple tv+ channel, of all places. My Harmony works just fine with it, with the exception of 10 second skip back/forward which are bluetooth commands. I also use my phone. Really don't like the Apple remote.

I got the One for All remote setup, and it works quite well. It is IR, so line of sight is required, but other than that, it does everything we've needed so far. Not sure about the 10 second skip. Is that just an AppleTV+ app thing?

I got the One for All remote setup, and it works quite well. It is IR, so line of sight is required, but other than that, it does everything we've needed so far. Not sure about the 10 second skip. Is that just an AppleTV+ app thing?

The 10 second skip is usually in all the Live Streaming apps, not so much for VOD stuff.

No, it's an Apple TV thing. The skips are, again, bluetooth commands, not IR.

In what apps? Like I said above, I can still skip ahead in YTTV.
Try doing it on Amazon or Netflix or Apple tv+. I'm talking about the 10 second skips. Only AppleTv remote or phone can do it...via bluetooth.

Try doing it on Amazon or Netflix or Apple tv+. I'm talking about the 10 second skips. Only AppleTv remote or phone can do it...via bluetooth.

OK. I cannot get a skip forward/back behavior with the IR remote in those apps. That said, I am not sure why I would want one, since they have no commercials like live TV. Well, I guess Amazon does at the beginning of shows., but the ATV 4K seems to fly through those if I hit the FF button. So, not a big deal for me personally.

OK. I cannot get a skip forward/back behavior with the IR remote in those apps. That said, I am not sure why I would want one, since they have no commercials like live TV. Well, I guess Amazon does at the beginning of shows., but the ATV 4K seems to fly through those if I hit the FF button. So, not a big deal for me personally.
If only the Roku Ultra (new built 2019) for Dolby Vision AND made a deal with HBO, I would not have gone to 2017 Apple TV. That's how they screwed the pooch!

Last edited:
If only the Roku licensed/built for Dolby Vision AND made a deal with HBO, I would not have gone to Apple TV. That's how they screwed the pooch!

It is so strange that they do not have Dolby Vision but the better TCL Roku Televisions do, I have a TCL 8 series and 3 of the 6 series and all of them do DV and quite well, especially the 8 series.

It is so strange that they do not have Dolby Vision but the better TCL Roku Televisions do, I have a TCL 8 series and 3 of the 6 series and all of them do DV and quite well, especially the 8 series.
I've been thinking about buying a TCL to replace my old 720P television in my bedroom.

I've been thinking about buying a TCL to replace my old 720P television in my bedroom.

Last year’s 6 and 8 series are on clearance at Best Buy and Amazon, well worth it.

Stay away from the 4 series.

I have a 4 year old TCL bought for my office, it's okay. I would say it's pretty good for what I paid. The downside is the Roku interface has gotten slow so I plugged in a fire stick.

Reactions: TRG
I have a 4 year old TCL bought for my office, it's okay. I would say it's pretty good for what I paid. The downside is the Roku interface has gotten slow so I plugged in a fire stick.
That is a concern I'd have with any smart tv.

Reactions: TRG
I have a couple of the Samsung 4k sets (a 55" and 75") and the smart features seem to be pretty snappy. I rarely use the LG smart features but I also have a 32" monitor and it works fairly well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)