Pondering FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
I just re-scanned Galaxy 19 and WOW there's a crap-load of FTA channels on this sat. Both TV and Radio. Granted, most are foreign language or religious (or both), but just imagine if there was a whole FTA satellite dedicated to entertainment programming. I know that it will most likely never happen, but just imagine...

One can only hope that we might see it....maybe if the economy picks up in 2010 we'll see at least some new stuff....each new channel to me is a glimmer of hope. Blind

G 19

I just re-scanned Galaxy 19 and WOW there's a crap-load of FTA channels on this sat. Both TV and Radio. Granted, most are foreign language or religious (or both), but just imagine if there was a whole FTA satellite dedicated to entertainment programming. I know that it will most likely never happen, but just imagine...

Sent you a PM.

What we need is a Ted Turner/Mark Cuban like mogul with a big fortune to blow on setting up a suite of channels to give away FTA. The cost will be partly in uplinks, but largely buying or creating desirable content.

Its funny you mention Ted Turner. If I understand this correctly he was all about uplinking on satellite to get as many customers as possible to help him sell advertising. Yet ever since he as lost control of his company (Turner Broadcasting System) the very concept he built his empire on is no longer true. Every thing TBS uplink is encrypted, and they REFUSE to even sell the authorization to the programming.

Back in the good old days of c-band, Ikki, it was a nice channel to have, along with WGN, and WPIX/WWOR. Lot of water under the bridge since then, the delivery systems have evolved, syndex came along, the MLB and other sports organizations all got so stinking greedy. It is probably still available with 4DTV but I don't know about the picture quality, and last time I saw TBS it was nothing but garbage to me. Old WB sitcoms, other similar tripe, no old movies or series at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts