Poor HD Picture

How about the PQ now that the cable is good?

Not very good, even the tech commented that it should be better. He replaced the coax, node, and hopper again. On the phone with customer retentions now, they are attempting to figure out a way to get this all straightened out. The technician called into Dish while he was here and attempted to get some help with the issues, and verified that the issues are in fact present. Apparently they set up a trouble ticket with no estimate for a resolution time.

Can wait to hear the resolution to this one....

I am grateful that we finally got a decent tech. My jaw about hit the floor when he agreed the picture was off, and did absolutely everything he could to try and resolve the issue. Still on hold with Dish, they offered additional time with the free premiums so far. I honestly don't want any free stuff, I want my service to perform as it should or contract canceled. The fact that the technician called into Dish while he was here and confirmed the problems seems to have gone a long way.

Well the executive customer service guy offered me 2 options. He can lower my rate, or waive my etf since it is a new install with confirmed unresolved issues. Going to talk it over with my partner and decide what the best course of action is.

what happened when he moved the joey over to the HDTV?

Canceling may be the right thing to do considering you've had so many techs out and it's still not resolved.

Last edited:
what happened when he moved the joey over to the HDTV?

Canceling may be the right thing to do considering you've had so many techs out and it's still not resolved.

He said that moving the Joey would have been pointless since he replaced the hopper, oh well. We are trying to avoid going back to Cox for TV at all costs, so I am asking friends and neighbors about Directv.

Yep, switched the TV from HDMI 1 to Component 1. The ethernet connection shows "OK" on the test, yet every movie I try to download says download failed. The apps work just fine, but VOD refuses to download. We've tried different routers, I even connected it directly to the cable modem with no difference.

My aunt has the same problem with downloads via internet with the hopper, but her internet works just fine for her streaming services and other uses.

Does the Hopper have any auto-downrez functions if HDCP isn't satisfied?

I'd feed the Bluray through the exact same cable and setting as the Hopper, swap the player for the dvr exchanging all the connectons. That would point to either the Hopper our your equipment.

The internet connection has been flaky for quite a few since the December update hit the streets. You may be seeing this too.

You know, I do find it odd that I am running 20mbps down on my wifi devices but the Hopper will not go above 10 via ethernet. Anyway I got a call from another executive customer rep who assured me that the VOD is a known issue that is being worked on, and offered us an additional $15 off per month for a year to stay. I grilled him about the update, and he gave me his word that it will be fixed but they cannot give estimates on update times (which I completely understand). I turned the Hopper off while we went out to dinner, came home and the PQ seems to have stabilized a bit (it stopped freezing and going completely nuts at least!). Some channels still look off to me, but that could very well be the programming being aired and not Dish. Another note, Dish branded VOD works now but Blockbuster is still not working...which is better than nothing :)

Last edited:
Quick question, how much truth could there be in Dish saying my ISP could be to blame? Regardless I am switching to Centurylink next week because I can get the 40mbps plan for less than the 18 (usually more like 20) with Cox, so its a no brainer. I have my fingers crossed that it may perform better with the DSL.

As far as the BB/VOD streaming, it could indeed be your ISP. Your PQ problem is all Dish's fault. Well, that could be the TV...

As far as the BB/VOD streaming, it could indeed be your ISP. Your PQ problem is all Dish's fault. Well, that could be the TV...

Ok, well fingers crossed that switching to DSL will help the streaming issues then. With Dish offering an additional $15 off per month (total of $45), it makes it allot easier to deal with while they try to figure out what is going on. I guess they will be contacting me within the next week to check on the progress and go from there. I will admit that Dish does seem like they truly want to make things work properly.

Sounds like the picture issue is slowly resolved. I would suggest trying a VIP 722 in place of the Hopper and check PQ from that receiver.

How do you propose he does that? Besides, it's a near unanimous opinion Hopper PQ is better.

Not to mention that he can't activate a 722 on a Hopper account. Even if he brought someone else's in, he'd have to do a bunch of rewiring to get it to work...

But it wouldn't be to difficult to switch the cables (client/host lines) on the node and swap the hopper-joey tv location. I don't see why the tech didn't at least attempt this just to see what if any effect that would have on the PQ, which of course does not seem like it would make a difference but by process of elimination at least be one less thing to factor in the equation of trying to solve such an odd ball issue like this... Either way hope it all gets fixed to your satisfaction.

Thanks everyone. The executive did offer to swap our equipment for the 722k, but that was based on the streaming issue...he didn't mention if he thought it would increase the PQ. I have been considering it, but if it doesn't make a difference idk how much of a pain it would be to get the hopper/joey back. I still have the TV tech coming next week, so there will be another possibility taken care of. Oh, and I don't know how much it will help but I picked up a new HDMI earlier, after trying 3 other ones I doubt it will change anything but I don't have much to lose at this point. To be fair, the other 3 have been in my storage shed for a while. I'm going to be pretty mad if the hopper just wanted a "fresh" hdmi cable :p.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)