Poor HD Picture

I have a year old 50in LG plasma in the bedroom, great tv. My dad just replaced his old 60in lcd in the living room with an LG 60in plasma right before Thanksgiving and always talks about how great it is.

Update: Still looking better this morning. As far as the motion blur, I imagine the only sure fire way fix that would go with a plasma. Never owned one, but I am looking at the them online...wow much more cost effective and seem to carry the best reviews. I may just have the LG repaired, donate it to a family member and then go with a 50-60in Panasonic or Samsung plasma. A buddy of mine said it made his sammy plasma made everything look much better.

It won't help. What your seeing is the result of too many channels crammed into 1 satellite transponder! Sorry!

I have heavy curtains that completely block the light, and I have my TV set up to where there is never any glare. I definitely prefer dim lighting while watching TV, its much better on my eyes. I'll take a look at the LG's too then, I will probably head back to best buy this afternoon to see them in person. My partner has been wanting a plasma but I was always concerned about the burn in issues. I guess I will get in the habit of turning the TV off if it is going to be paused for more than a couple of minutes.

My partner has been wanting a plasma but I was always concerned about the burn in issues. I guess I will get in the habit of turning the TV off if it is going to be paused for more than a couple of minutes.
Burn-in is a pretty much a thing of the past.

Burn-in is a pretty much a thing of the past.

It may be, but image retention (IR) which can lead to burn-in is not. I've set up one of the "expert" picture mode inputs on my LG plasma with low contrast and brightness settings which I use when watching channels with bright logos and static lower third graphics. They can lead to burn-in at normal contrast and brightness settings.

It may be, but image retention (IR) which can lead to burn-in is not. I've set up one of the "expert" picture mode inputs on my LG plasma with low contrast and brightness settings which I use when watching channels with bright logos and static lower third graphics. They can lead to burn-in at normal contrast and brightness settings.
I have never experienced it with normal brightness and contrast settings on my LG. Only way I could think of to make it happen is to freeze on a dark/bright image and let it sit too long.

I must say, the plasma sets definitely look nicer...even in the store. The LG 50PA6500 stuck out with it's $599 price tag (promised to keep this purchase as low as possible :p). While it is not a smart tv, it doesn't really matter since my bluray player has all of the streaming services. The other one is the Samsung PN51E550D1FXZA, which is $100 more with the smart tv features. Didn't really notice a difference between the 2 as far as PQ. Is either brand normally more reliable than the other?

I must say, the plasma sets definitely look nicer...even in the store. The LG 50PA6500 stuck out with it's $599 price tag (promised to keep this purchase as low as possible :p). While it is not a smart tv, it doesn't really matter since my bluray player has all of the streaming services. The other one is the Samsung PN51E550D1FXZA, which is $100 more with the smart tv features. Didn't really notice a difference between the 2 as far as PQ. Is either brand normally more reliable than the other?
Though most are all very decent sets, Panasonic has a long standing stigma as being the best. I would have bought one instead of the LG 60", but I was dealing with dimension limitations, and the Panny was a bit too wide. BTW, you can get an LG 60" for $200 more than the 50"....well spent money.

It won't help. What your seeing is the result of too many channels crammed into 1 satellite transponder! Sorry!
That is a cause of motion blur? Might want to rethink this statement.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

As for plasma sets, most of past problems are just that. Past problems.

I've had plasma for years, and they have only gotten better. Burn in isn't a real issue, and not much matches the pq from what is available now.

I am partial to Panasonic as I have had several, and have two now.

I have also had Samsung, and it was good as well.

They all do.

Well that's good to know. The LG was the first I've had that had the feature. Ive got to get a replacement for my lake house soon, as some sob broke in and stole the lcd over the holidays. Thinking a heavier plasma that's not as easy to carry off.

Sent from my blazing fast galaxy s3 using SatelliteGuys

That sucks about your house getting broken into. Yes, it is good to know that they all carry that feature. I didn't really look at the 60 inch, but maybe I should have. I'll take a closer look at the Panasonic line as well.

I use a Panasonic TCP65GT30 (plasma) for my primary monitor & it's superb. As others stated, image retention is virtually a thing of the past as is, insufficient brightness for well lit rooms. Not only do modern models use anti-retention features built in but the networks have made their static images semi-transparent and less apt to create problems. Additionally, plasma (good ones) are more than bright enough for most any environment & they provide spectacularly deep color. If you enjoy movies then a good plasma is worth a serious look...the black levels are truly impressive and viewing from any angle is not a problem.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

While there are certain issues with plasma such as glare, retention, heat, power consumption, etc, if image quality is the viewer's primary concern, plasma is simply superior to LCD. (That includes so-called LED, as well, which are still LCD, but with LED backlighting instead of fluorescent tubes.)

LED is not to be confused with OLED (Organic LED). I have no hands-on (eyes-on) experience with those. But, they are said to be magnificent. I understand that LG is a leader in the OLED TV space.

While there are certain issues with plasma such as glare, retention, heat, power consumption, etc, if image quality is the viewer's primary concern, plasma is simply superior to LCD. (That includes so-called LED, as well, which are still LCD, but with LED backlighting instead of fluorescent tubes.)

LED is not to be confused with OLED (Organic LED). I have no hands-on (eyes-on) experience with those. But, they are said to be magnificent. I understand that LG is a leader in the OLED TV space.

Thank you for the reply. I went ahead and ordered a Panasonic TC-P60GT50, it will be delivered next Saturday (could not find one in stock locally). A tad more than I wanted to spend, but easily justifiable as this is a long term investment. I normally spend my tax refund on toys anyway :p.

That is a cause of motion blur? Might want to rethink this statement.
Motion blur is present in all MPEG transmission signals. The severity is directly proportional to the bit rate and scene complexity. Satellite has a relativity low bit rate per channel which results in considerable motion blur. Blue-ray has a very high bit rate and very little motion blur.

Thank you for the reply. I went ahead and ordered a Panasonic TC-P60GT50, it will be delivered next Saturday (could not find one in stock locally). A tad more than I wanted to spend, but easily justifiable as this is a long term investment. I normally spend my tax refund on toys anyway :p.
Nice choice. I have the P60ST30, which is the line one step below GT. ST30 is also 1 or 2 model years prior to GT50. I am extremely happy with it. So, I can assume you will like yours.

I'm glad to see that Panasonic did not leave the TV business like they said they would, and that plasma is still alive, as well. (Panasonic LCD TV's are fairly crappy, though, which is weird.) It looked like California's new EPA laws might have been too tough for plasma. But, just like with increasing auto emissions and mileage standards, the manufacturers somehow always manage to meet them despite their whining and crying that it's impossible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)