Poor HD Signal and Cancellation Penalty

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Starski

Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
I used to have dish network and never had issues with losing the HD signal during normal rain and snow showers. With direct TV if there is a drop in the sky I lose the HD channels. When it's working all of the signals are strong so not sure why it loses the HD signal so easily.

My other question is how does Direct TV's current policy work for cancelling while you are under contract.

It's $20/month for each month left on your commitment. If you have loss of signal from the weather, there is something wrong with your install. There may be a loose connection, or a bad lnb, or a misaligned dish. Can you post your signal levels for all of the satellites?

Normal Rain and snow showers shouldn't affect signal.
I'm not sure where the dish is, But if it was mine , I'd ajust it myself before I wait for a service call.

Can you post your signal strengths on here? You probably need a realignment. It rains a lot here, and mine rarely goes out, maybe once or twice a year at most during the torrential downpours.

I go along with the others. Normal rain or snow should not cause a loss of signal. Something is not right at your end. Have you call DirecTV?

You say when the weather is fine, all your signals are fine.
Look at the 99 and 103 which is where your HD comes in on.
There are slight variations depending on areas but if most the transponders are in low to mid 90's I doubt it is due to misalignment.

If that is the case, then it could be LNB as some are better then others.
Also, look at the lines and connectors because if moisture is getting in, it play havoc on your signals.

Which Satellites and which tuners should I report numbers on. When I look I think they look good, but I might not be looking at the right ones. I don't if this matters for where I am pointed, but I am in Cleveland Ohio.

The hd channels are on 99 and 103, but it may be helpful to see the numbers for all of the satellites.

I had the same issue, here in the Kent, Ohio area. Direct came out and replaced my 5LNB with a 3LNB and haven`t had a problem since. Good signal strength, rain fade rarely an issue except in the worst of storms

I had the same issue, here in the Kent, Ohio area. Direct came out and replaced my 5LNB with a 3LNB and haven`t had a problem since. Good signal strength, rain fade rarely an issue except in the worst of storms

This is basically it.

Most the times when you lose signal due to small storms, it is either a misalignment issue or poor LNB.
If the signals are lof in good weather then it is obviously the dish needs to be peaked.
If they are where they need to be but you lose signals in small storms then it is an equipment issue which often traces back to but is not limited to a weak LNB.

If you look at at the 99 and 103, most the numbers should be in the 90's (preferably mid to low 90's).
If you are seeing most the numbers in the 70's and 80's (or even lower) then it is a peaking issue.

One thing I failed to mention. On my old 5 LNB, the plastic covers had cracks in them (cold weather?)

One thing I failed to mention. On my old 5 LNB, the plastic covers had cracks in them (cold weather?)

The back side cover doesn't really do anything to keep the weather out.
If you snap that off, you will see it is sealed off under that.

Certainly, severe cold has given LNB's some issues (we have had a run of them lately that won't work in severe cold but they are only shipping those to warmer regions)
It is possible I guess that without that back cover at all and the metal exposed, the cold could effect it a little more, but I doubt it and certainly doubt that just cracks would could do this.

I have heard the term "the Golden LNB" used before.
Basically, all LNB's are not created equal as many of them come from different assembly lines.
It is even possible for one to come out of the same box that acts differently.

Here is 99 and 103. I called DirecTV but they didn't even want to hear my signal strengths and told me to call back when it happens

103(cb) - Tuner 1
83 46 70 54 72 47 69 56
72 44 69 56 70 44

103(cb) - Tuner 2
74 46 71 43 72 47 69 42
72 44 69 41 70 42

103(ca) - Tuner 1
61 30 59 35 60 54 56 37
60 26 55 36 56 26 51 24

103(ca) - Tuner 2
62 30 59 30 61 26 56 27
60 26 55 26 55 26 51 23

103(s) - Tuner 1 (Numbers very slow to come up)
89 0 0 0 0 0
60 0
79 54 0 0 0 0 0 0

99(s) - Tuner 1 (Very slow to come up with numbers)
68 68 52 30 69 0
0 0
96 91 0 0 95 89 0 0

99(c) - Tuner 1
92 87 84 76 93 83 84 77
92 86 84 79 94 88

Yeah, you definitely have an issue.
Call Direct, they need to get a tech out there.
I would start with having them realign the dish but there could be other issues too (not saying there is) there could be some other issues like bad cabling, bad multistch/LNB, bad connector, BBC, etc.

Call them back and tell them it is happening.
Tell them you lose channels even when it is sunny.
With those signals, I guarantee you are, you just might not notice it.

There's no reason for any of those numbers to be lower than 90 on a clear day (the zeroes are supposed to be zero). Those are the kind of numbers you would be getting during a heavy storm. Either it wasn't ever aimed properly, it wasn't tightened enough and the wind twisted it, or it took a whack from something that knocked it out of alignment. Is this a pole mount by chance? Maybe the cross bolt was never installed in the concrete and the pole twisted?

I called again and I got a much better person this time. They had me run a diagnostic and it showed an alignment issue. So they are arranging a appointment. Thanks everyone for all of your input

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)