Poor little babies ban a kid from pitching because he is too good!

Well.....the problems are different as the kids you coach/manage get older. AND if you coach private school....forget it. That is a set of problems that goes BEYOND PC and all about "MY KID" and "do you know who I am?" bull****. Not to mention the scumbags that wanna snag you kids to sign free agent contracts and coaches from universities with the wrong intentions as the lists goes on and on.

IMO, that's the worst type of parent. What's worse, that "do you know who I am?" mentality and sense of entitlement, inevitably filters down to the kid.

From my past experiences of working in sports related activities and with kids/teens, this is my opinion:

1. Get this kid into therapy, (psychological)

2. (Optional) If he gets better with his pitching speed as he gets older, get a sports agent! :D

I just wonder how much practice time he put into getting that good a speed?

Face it, some adults can't stand it when their kid isn't as good as a team mate.

Looks like in my opinion, there was a whole mess of jealous green-eyed whiney adults in this story who have hurt this child's self-esteem!

What wimps.

Can you imagined if hockey banned Wayne Gretzky when he was destroying scoring records?

Ditto for Wilt Chamberlain or Babe Ruth.

Although I do not agree with them banning the kid, I can kind of see their point especially considering the speed of some of the pitches this kid is throwing.

I've read about this story in other forums and it doesn't seem like 40mph is atypical for a 9 year old to reach. The pitching machines are set up to 45mph at that age level in many leagues.

This is a story about manipulating adults ruining a child's game for petty gain.

I've read about this story in other forums and it doesn't seem like 40mph is atypical for a 9 year old to reach. The pitching machines are set up to 45mph at that age level in many leagues.

This is a story about manipulating adults ruining a child's game for petty gain.

I spoke to a friend in Conneticut and he stated it started when the defending championship team.....run by the commissioner, wanted this kid to play on HIS TEAM and he refused because he wanted to play with his friends.

Hmmmmm......:rolleyes:

IMO, that's the worst type of parent. What's worse, that "do you know who I am?" mentality and sense of entitlement, inevitably filters down to the kid.

You have no idea. I have one kid who's dad is a judge, I have one kid who's dad is a city commissioner, I have another kid who's dad is a very powerful "mover and a shaker in this city"......I kid you not, those where his EXACT WORDS. I have been threaten with "I can destroy your coaching life with a snap of my fingers". The I sit his kid for a couple of games and suddenly, "this is one of the best coaches we have ever had here....". LOL!

All these kids show up with $300 baseball gloves, $350 bats and $150 cleats and think they are INSTANT starters. Then I get a kid from the inner city that has his parents working 2 jobs to pay for his tution, IS BORROWING a glove from a friend or relative and works twice as hard as the rich kid....and I get called a "know nothing coach" because the poor kid is out hustling a rich kid....LOL!

THAT is why my practices are closed, NO PARENTS are allowed in or around the dugout NOR in and around the diamond. They can ONLY drop them off or pick them up before and after practice and in the parking lot. I avoid confrontation and they avoid saying stupid and irractional things that will ge their kid kicked off the team.:up;):D

You have no idea. I have one kid who's dad is a judge, I have one kid who's dad is a city commissioner, I have another kid who's dad is a very powerful "mover and a shaker in this city"......I kid you not, those where his EXACT WORDS. I have been threaten with "I can destroy your coaching life with a snap of my fingers". The I sit his kid for a couple of games and suddenly, "this is one of the best coaches we have ever had here....". LOL!

All these kids show up with $300 baseball gloves, $350 bats and $150 cleats and think they are INSTANT starters. Then I get a kid from the inner city that has his parents working 2 jobs to pay for his tution, IS BORROWING a glove from a friend or relative and works twice as hard as the rich kid....and I get called a "know nothing coach" because the poor kid is out hustling a rich kid....LOL!

THAT is why my practices are closed, NO PARENTS are allowed in or around the dugout NOR in and around the diamond. They can ONLY drop them off or pick them up before and after practice and in the parking lot. I avoid confrontation and they avoid saying stupid and irractional things that will ge their kid kicked off the team.:up;):D

At least you remember the most important thing about coaching - you're there for the kids. Bravo.

At least you remember the most important thing about coaching - you're there for the kids. Bravo.

Thanks.....:eek:

Well...I live vicariously through them.....I was a pretty talented ball player when I was 17/18 years old...but these kids...geez, the have the world by the ballz if they want it. IF I was playing now with the talent I had back then, I could not start on the team I coach now...and I was drafted in the 4th round in '83. I let the head coach deal of the Xs and Os....I deal with mentally and emotionally preparing them with their game and the life beyond baseball.

And I look good occassionally with the new hotshot pitcher transfers over and think he can strike me out....LOL!;)

Thanks.....:eek:

Well...I live vicariously through them.....I was a pretty talented ball player when I was 17/18 years old...but these kids...geez, the have the world by the ballz if they want it. IF I was playing now with the talent I had back then, I could not start on the team I coach now...and I was drafted in the 4th round in '83. I let the head coach deal of the Xs and Os....I deal with mentally and emotionally preparing them with their game and the life beyond baseball.

And I look good occassionally with the new hotshot pitcher transfers over and think he can strike me out....LOL!;)

Salsa,
I realize you and I have had our share of disagreements (Manny, tuck rule, etc.), but you have my utmost respect when I read these posts of how you deal with these kids. NOTHING in the world is more important than that. Kudos, you're a good man! :up

Salsa,
I realize you and I have had our share of disagreements (Manny, tuck rule, etc.), but you have my utmost respect when I read these posts of how you deal with these kids. NOTHING in the world is more important than that. Kudos, you're a good man! :up

Thanks. I know that almost 98% of all kids that play high school baseball have very little chances of play pro OR play in a high profile university. Hell, I was drafted in the lower rounds and I didn't make it. But I think ALL high school teams, regardless of sport should have a guy that does what I do. The head coaches are worried about Xs and Os and keeping kids eligible and keeping them out of trouble....have coaches that deal with the intangibles like I do. Like mentally preparing for a game, win or lose and what to do once the baseball season is over....litterally and figuratively.

....but I still like Manny, we still got screwed over by the tuck rule...and I hate all New England teams! So there!!!:p;)

Thanks. I know that almost 98% of all kids that play high school baseball have very little chances of play pro OR play in a high profile university. Hell, I was drafted in the lower rounds and I didn't make it. But I think ALL high school teams, regardless of sport should have a guy that does what I do. The head coaches are worried about Xs and Os and keeping kids eligible and keeping them out of trouble....have coaches that deal with the intangibles like I do. Like mentally preparing for a game, win or lose and what to do once the baseball season is over....litterally and figuratively.

....but I still like Manny, we still got screwed over by the tuck rule...and I hate all New England teams! So there!!!:p;)

What amazes me is how baseball, compared to the other sports, is a total crapshoot when it comes to prospects. There are more busts with high profile players than any other sport. If your a great basketball prospect coming out of high school, you got a good chance of making it in the NBA, and even a great football prospect has a good chance to make to the NFL. But if your a great baseball prospect, your odds are still not that good. I always wondered why that is in baseball.

What amazes me is how baseball, compared to the other sports, is a total crapshoot when it comes to prospects. There are more busts with high profile players than any other sport. If your a great basketball prospect coming out of high school, you got a good chance of making it in the NBA, and even a great football prospect has a good chance to make to the NFL. But if your a great baseball prospect, your odds are still not that good. I always wondered why that is in baseball.

Because to me....and maybe I am biased....I think hitting a baseball is THE hardest accomplishment to acheive of ANY sports.....period. Once you get out of high school competition, you get in to the mimor leagues where ALL pitchers throw hard.....as opposed to high school competition where you have a couple of really good pitchers and then the rest is a crap shoot. And as you go up through the minors, the competition gets harder. That is why to me, the baseball minor league system weeds out the contenders from pretenders better than any other sport. When a kid gets drafter in baseball out of high school, you have about 3 to possibly 4 good years to see if this kid is the real deal. You do NOT have that luxury in any other sport OTHER than hockey.

Because to me....and maybe I am biased....I think hitting a baseball is THE hardest accomplishment to acheive of ANY sports.....period. Once you get out of high school competition, you get in to the mimor leagues where ALL pitchers throw hard.....as opposed to high school competition where you have a couple of really good pitchers and then the rest is a crap shoot. And as you go up through the minors, the competition gets harder. That is why to me, the baseball minor league system weeds out the contenders from pretenders better than any other sport. When a kid gets drafter in baseball out of high school, you have about 3 to possibly 4 good years to see if this kid is the real deal. You do NOT have that luxury in any other sport OTHER than hockey.
Not to mention that the switch from aluminum bats to wooden bats makes a big difference.

Not to mention that the switch from aluminum bats to wooden bats makes a big difference.

HUGE difference!! The perfect example was good ole Pete Incagvilia, who I played against when he was at Oklahoma State. He hit around 100 homers in about 210 games, give or take. He also had a slugging percentage of .915 in his 3 years at OSU. Hit 48 hrs and battting around .450 something his senior year.
In the majors, never hit more than 30 home runs nor better than .274 in one season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)