Poor little babies ban a kid from pitching because he is too good!

I would think the hardest one would be not hitting a baseball, but pitching one. I was really thinking more about pitchers, because that is where the real crapshoot is. Learning how to throw different velocities and have control, and not tear your elbow.

If the kid is that much better then everyone else he should move up to the next age group. If he is striking every kid out I don't see how that could be fun for either team. Also, I wonder if the kid is doing any major damage to his arm throwing so hard at such a young age.

I would think the hardest one would be not hitting a baseball, but pitching one. I was really thinking more about pitchers, because that is where the real crapshoot is. Learning how to throw different velocities and have control, and not tear your elbow.

Baseball is the only sport where they pay you millions if you are successful just 30% of the time. Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports. Loved Tom Hanks quote in "League of their own" . Talking to Gina Davis - "It's supposed to be hard, that's what makes it great."

If the kid is that much better then everyone else he should move up to the next age group. If he is striking every kid out I don't see how that could be fun for either team. Also, I wonder if the kid is doing any major damage to his arm throwing so hard at such a young age.
What why!!?? This seems to be the easy way out. I won't move my son up for the same reason's for one he is not the next groups age. That would be no fun for the kids at all. What has happen to our nation when this kind of crap happens!?

Perhaps you should read the second message in this thread and see what happens to the kid that gets bumped up just because he is too good, big, fast, agile, whatever to play with his own peers!

See ya
Tony

I stopped playing midget football because they wouldn't let me play with my friends.

What why!!?? This seems to be the easy way out. I won't move my son up for the same reason's for one he is not the next groups age. That would be no fun for the kids at all. What has happen to our nation when this kind of crap happens!?

If the kid is that good you would think he would want to be challenged. It is not fun to play a sport if you know you are always going to win without a challenge. How is it fun for the other kids on the team if every time they take the field it goes... three up three down. Since this is a pre-little league team the kids are just learning and it isn't meant to be super competitive. I say put the kid in the outfield if he wants to pitch let him do it in a league that has equivalent players.

I have seen good players move from Junior Varsity to the Varsity team because they were good. 8th and 9th graders playing with Seniors because they were good enough and they got even better by doing so.

Obviously, someone has worked with this kid to get him to have both power and control to his pitches. One would think that they would want him to "be" all that he could "be" and not have to play down to a lower level. Playing a sport and being part of a team bring people together. I am sure if this kid is as good as they say, his new team of kids that are only two years older than him would be happy to have him.

Perhaps you should read the second message in this thread and see what happens to the kid that gets bumped up just because he is too good, big, fast, agile, whatever to play with his own peers!

See ya
Tony

I did read it and I still stick to my opinion. If you are that much better then everyone else then you need to move up. It is a tough age to deal with kids and sports but if you want to play with your friends then throw the ball around with them. If you want to be part of a team then play to your level.

Age and ability are two totally different things. Great athletes made sacrifices to be a great athlete. If that means not being able to play on the same team as your friends...then oh well.

I was in fifth grade when I was nine. Yes I went to school a year early but I was bigger then a lot of the third graders. since football is such a physical sport I don't blame the coaches. If you were that much bigger and if it was because you may hurt the other kids then oh well. Wrestling was big in my School district we had grade school kids wrestling middle school kids because it went by weight class not age. Should they have put the 100 pound fourth grader up against the other 50 pound fourth graders?

I am sorry you had bad coaches, but that is what it was. Coaches of young kids are there to teach, support and grow young athletes not belittle them.

If the kid is that good you would think he would want to be challenged. It is not fun to play a sport if you know you are always going to win without a challenge. How is it fun for the other kids on the team if every time they take the field it goes... three up three down. Since this is a pre-little league team the kids are just learning and it isn't meant to be super competitive. I say put the kid in the outfield if he wants to pitch let him do it in a league that has equivalent players.

I have seen good players move from Junior Varsity to the Varsity team because they were good. 8th and 9th graders playing with Seniors because they were good enough and they got even better by doing so.

Obviously, someone has worked with this kid to get him to have both power and control to his pitches. One would think that they would want him to "be" all that he could "be" and not have to play down to a lower level. Playing a sport and being part of a team bring people together. I am sure if this kid is as good as they say, his new team of kids that are only two years older than him would be happy to have him.

Why not just let the kid play....he wants to play for THAT team because his friends are on THAT team. He is ONLY 9 years old for Christ sake....at that age, he/she should be playing FOR THE SAKE OF PLAYING AND HAVING FUN....NOT to improve to be better than other kids. You are just like 90% of the parents I deal with on a almost HOURLY basis.....Jesus, Mary and Joseph.....:rolleyes:

Why not just let the kid play....he wants to play for THAT team because his friends are on THAT team. He is ONLY 9 years old for Christ sake....at that age, he/she should be playing FOR THE SAKE OF PLAYING AND HAVING FUN....NOT to improve to be better than other kids. You are just like 90% of the parents I deal with on a almost HOURLY basis.....Jesus, Mary and Joseph.....:rolleyes:

If he wants to play with the rest of the kids then let him play in the outfield. I have no problem with that. I think it was wrong that the other team forfeited when he played second base. Just don't let the kid pitch.

What wimps.

Can you imagined if hockey banned Wayne Gretzky when he was destroying scoring records?

Ditto for Wilt Chamberlain or Babe Ruth.

Born in Brantford, Ontario, Wayne Gretzky lived perhaps the most famous childhood of any athlete. When he was six years old, his father, Walter, built a rink in the family's backyard, and it was there that Wayne skated for hours on end, every day, practising his skating, shooting and stickhandling and learning everything about the game from his dad. "It was for self-preservation," Walter admitted. "I got sick of taking him to the park and sitting there for hours freezing to death." From the time he was six, he played many leagues above his age. He scored only one goal in his first year, when he was playing with ten-year-olds, but each season his skills increased dramatically and he soon set scoring records that seemed preposterous, notably a 378-goal season in his last year in pee wee in Brantford. As he progressed, he earned the nickname "the White Tornado" because he wore white hockey gloves and because of his speed and skill. Each year he played at a higher level, and each year he maintained his superiority.

Wilt Chamberlain was born August 21, 1936, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, one of nine children raised by William and Olivia Chamberlain. His father worked in a local publishing company, while his mother performed outside housework. The Chamberlains lived in a racially-mixed middle-class neighborhood, and Wilt enjoyed a relatively pleasant childhood.

At Shoemaker Junior High School Wilt began to play on the basketball team. He also played on the playgrounds against older players who taught him a lot about the game. He later said, "I still think you could pick up a team from the street corners of Philly that would give most colleges a real hard time." Wilt attended Overbrook High School in Philadelphia beginning in 1952. At that time he was already 6'11" tall, and had developed what he termed a "deep love for basketball."

Let me ask this. At what point do you think a kid who is not able to compete with other kids in a sport should be benched? If a kid isn't good enough to play a position such as pitcher do you still let them pitch even if every pitch is a ball? How is that fun for the batters?

Now if every one this kid pitches to strikes out does that mean the other kids aren't good enough or does that mean the pitcher is to good for the other players? If the kids are there to have fun then let them play at the same level. How many possible great future players may get discouraged at such a young age because the team they are playing has member who is much better then other kids his age.

There is NEVER EVER, not even for a little while, a time when ANYONE can be "too (not to) good" in a team.

In the "Everyone plays" leagues benching a kid for not being good enough is a non-starter. You can't do it.

The point is you never ever ever ever want to bring other people DOWN to a level of play. You always every time without exception strive to bring UP the level of play from others!

See ya
Tony

There is NEVER EVER, not even for a little while, a time when ANYONE can be "too (not to) good" in a team.

In the "Everyone plays" leagues benching a kid for not being good enough is a non-starter. You can't do it.

The point is you never ever ever ever want to bring other people DOWN to a level of play. You always every time without exception strive to bring UP the level of play from others!

See ya
Tony

What happens if the other kids can't play at the level of an individual player? If it is an everyone plays team, why not let that player play another position. Maybe he is a great pitcher but doesn't have enough concentration to play outfield. Why not play him at first base or short stop? let him become a well rounded player and give the other kids a chance also.
My son is in a coach pitch league and everybody gets a chance to play every position. I help coach the team and try to work with the kids to improve their weaknesses. Some kids can throw great but loose interest when they don't have the ball. Other kids will chase a ball down the third base line even if they are playing second base. Should I help develop the kids as well rounded players or let them become one dimensional?
At this level the kids should be given a chance to hit the ball at every at bat. The parents should have no say at what positions the kids play. This kids Mom sounds like a lunatic.

"They won't let me pitch," Jericho, who turns 10 today, told The Daily News. "No one's gotten a base hit on me."

Jericho's team is 8-0. Five of the victories were no-hitters that Jericho hurled.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

See ya
Tony

Just to let you know I wasn't suggesting that kids should be benched because of ability. I don't think that kids in this type of league should be be discouraged at all. I don't understand what this league is? If it is a learning league there shouldn't be playoffs they shouldn't even keep score.
Once you start keeping score and having teams eliminated from playoffs then you need to start evaluating players abilities and pick players that will help a team win. I am not saying don't let the lesser players not play, but don't put them at first, third, short stop or pitcher. That is not what this league sounds like when they say it "is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport". As far as I know majors is where they start keeping score and then the rules change a bit. Pitchers are limited to the amounts of pitches they can throw in a game and in a week. Rules are enforced and the parents would be throw out of the stands and possibly banned from games if they started arguing and making threats.

The kid was asked to play other positions AFTER he turned down the offer from another team (in the same level, not a more advanced team) to pitch for them (which was coached by the commissioner of the league). Any other argument is specious. This is all about the commissioner trying to get this kid to play on his team so he could win the league championship!

Honestly I cannot see even for a little bit any of your arguments, Spatch. Every one of them goes completely against the grain.

See ya
Tony

The kid was asked to play other positions AFTER he turned down the offer from another team (in the same level, not a more advanced team) to pitch for them (which was coached by the commissioner of the league). Any other argument is specious. This is all about the commissioner trying to get this kid to play on his team so he could win the league championship!

Honestly I cannot see even for a little bit any of your arguments, Spatch. Every one of them goes completely against the grain.

See ya
Tony

The kid was asked to play another position after he pitched five no hitters. Not after he turn down the offer to be on another team. He played a a game at second then the next game he went to pitch again and the other team refused to play if he pitched.

"They won't let me pitch," Jericho, who turns 10 today, told The Daily News. "No one's gotten a base hit on me."

Jericho's team is 8-0. Five of the victories were no-hitters that Jericho hurled.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

The kid isn't giving the other team a fighting chance. If he pitches five no-hitters in a row, it is time he plays another position in this "developmental league". He is past development. If the games weren't no-hitters it would be a different story. This isn't little league it is one step above t-ball.
He is a ringer and shouldn't be pitching on any team in the league.
You read an article from one point of view think about the other hundred kids.

If he wants to play with the rest of the kids then let him play in the outfield. I have no problem with that. I think it was wrong that the other team forfeited when he played second base. Just don't let the kid pitch.

Sorry but as a coach of high school baseball AND plenty of traveling teams, it's people like you that take the fun out of kids just playing and making it about being better than the next kid. Sports for kids that age is about having fun and playing with your friends. Parents are the ones that start all of the trouble with jealousy, envies and trying to live their now useless athletic life through their children by enforcing the "you gotta get better" mentality. IF a kid is athletically gifted, it will come out. People do not realize how much damage physically AND mentally they do to kids in sports by pushing them when they should let things progress at it own rate. When he is old enough to go to the next stage, he will and more than likely, kids will be better. You RUSH him and suddenly, he presses too much where he is a possible talent rushed before their time or you can injure in still developing arm. You see the crap in the majors rushing kids into the show due to desperate GMs....and those 20 and 21 year old muscles are already developed.

What happens if the other kids can't play at the level of an individual player? If it is an everyone plays team, why not let that player play another position. Maybe he is a great pitcher but doesn't have enough concentration to play outfield. Why not play him at first base or short stop? let him become a well rounded player and give the other kids a chance also.
My son is in a coach pitch league and everybody gets a chance to play every position. I help coach the team and try to work with the kids to improve their weaknesses. Some kids can throw great but loose interest when they don't have the ball. Other kids will chase a ball down the third base line even if they are playing second base. Should I help develop the kids as well rounded players or let them become one dimensional?
At this level the kids should be given a chance to hit the ball at every at bat. The parents should have no say at what positions the kids play. This kids Mom sounds like a lunatic.

Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

All I have to say to that is TOUGH!! Life isn't always going to be about getting your own way or always being better than someone else at something. They should find what they are good at and do that.

He is in a rec league that is there for kids to learn. If he is that good he should join a travel team. Also at age 10 and throwing around 40 is just about average / right for travel ball. He needs to go play in a completive league that has kids of his talent. Believe me they are out there. My son is now 13 and has played travel baseball since he was 8. My son and others he has played with have thrown faster than 40 at age 10. Even in our Little League he would not be the fastest at age 10. The bottom line is the parent should get the kid in a more competitive league or travel ball then he will see there are many, many others who are just as good and better baseball players then him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)