Poor little babies ban a kid from pitching because he is too good!

Have you heard the so called league president DENY IT?! Nope, he has kept his mouth shut and just order kid to not pitch anymore.

No, because they didn't interview him or they didn't add his comments to the interview. Like I said it makes for a good story if you only interview one side.

Also, I am just sticking to what is in the article you should also. You can't comment on something that isn't part of the article you are just guessing.

And I suppose you know THIS FOR SURE??!! Please....I am sticking to what was said in the new article, not conjurred up crap that you are coming up with.:rolleyes:

Is there a story from a reputable source that IS NOT an "opinion piece"?

Just because it is an opinion piece doesn't mean that every thing in it is an opinion. It means that he is giving his opinion about something.

He is giving his opinion about the fact that the kid was asked not to pitch. He also was giving an opinion about the fact that he also played in a more advance league.

It would be nice if when a new story is told they would tell both sides, but like I said that doesn'yt make for a good story.

So now I ask you... What is your opinion of this, If the kid did play in a more advance league and is playing at a lower level so that he could be the top pitcher. Do you still think it is fair? Do you think it is Ok that they asked him to step down? Do you think that kids who play in a more advance league should be allowed to step down to a lower level and dominate it? I could see if they lower league was still a competitive league, but not a learning league.

Let's keep this simple, for two reasons: (1) It's inherently a simple story and (2) they've got lawyers running around New Haven, Conn., filing lawsuits about kids' sports, which can't be good news for us if we dive into the deep end too quickly.

So cut it to the bare essentials and solve it. Jericho Scott, the boy at the center of this week's baseball storm, is in the wrong league.

It really is that basic. Not as sexy as the hyperventilation that is occurring over the civil rights issues around the story, I know. But just that basic, all the same.

Scott is not Cy Young; he's a kid who throws a good fastball against mediocre competition and struggles against better players. The organizing body that doesn't want him pitching anymore is not the "Satanic Summer League"; it's a group of volunteer parents who clumsily tried to clean up a gaping inequity between Scott -- a midseason import to his team, by the way -- and most of the other kids in what is clearly a developmental, low-wattage, newbie-strewn kid baseball enterprise.

And the national rush to judgment on the relative merits of the "case" is being led by a body of columnists and commentators who don't necessarily set out to come to dunderheaded conclusions, but who (it must be said) likely haven't seen a youth baseball diamond in either years or decades, depending upon whether we're talking about the MSNBC or CNN demographic.

The kid is just in the wrong league. Trust me: It happens all the time.

I've spent the past year researching and writing about kids' sports, along with the standard 10 years of Little League and travel-ball coaching that many dads my age seem to accrue. My youngest son is still 10, as is Scott, who just hit that birthday on Wednesday, and my son has played on (and I have coached with) a national traveling team. I don't know everything about youth baseball, but I've seen plenty

And Scott is just a kid who shouldn't be playing in the LJB, the Liga Juvenil de Baseball de New Haven. Forget the legal ramifications for a minute and deal with the player himself. Scott is good enough to pitch in a much better league -- and that league, the Dom Aitro Pony League for all-star teams, is already available to him.

In fact, Scott plays in it when he isn't suiting up for the Will Power Fitness team in the LJB.

But in that other league, Jericho doesn't dominate.

And that, I suspect, is the real genesis of this story.

"We'd just move him up," said one of my colleagues, a man who runs a youth baseball league in California.

That's dead-on accurate. The most common response to a dominant player in kids' sports is to move him or her up to the next level of competition -- an older age group, a higher classification of league, whatever remedy is available.

The reasons are both obvious and multifaceted.

First, age is an almost useless calculator of youth sports talent. The more significant factors, by far, are physical size and coordination, level of interest and overall competitiveness. The behemoths standing alongside the Lilliputians at the Little League World Series were actually on the same team, but some kids grow bigger and faster than others. After that, it's about intensity, know-how and love of the game.

In all the blathering on about deprivation of rights and the de-Americanization of youth sports (and consequent wussifying of the Guitar Hero-addled U.S. child), this basic tenet has escaped the grasp of too many adults who should know better. The most American thing that a youth sports league can do for a talented kid is to get him the absolute best competition available to him, no matter what the "age" bracket says.

Little League Baseball figured this out years ago, which is why, in its national charter, it allows for its majors division to be filled with players who range in age from barely 9 to nearly 13. That's a huge gap, and it brings with it some natural disparities in terms of pure strength, size and the like. But that latitude allows little league coaches and board members in communities all across the country to annually identify, say, the 10-year-old who has no business being in the minors anymore, and moving him "up" to majors to face the best competition in town.

In the case of Scott, he already has been given that opportunity. As a member of that advanced, Dom Aitro Pony League, Scott is a good player -- but not the best. He is the No. 4 pitcher on his staff, good enough to go against the top players in the area, but not guaranteed of a blowout victory every time he steps on the mound.

So what is this kid doing in the LJB, a league that is made up significantly of kids playing baseball for the first time? Why were he and another Pony League all-star added to the Will Power Fitness team in midseason?

Why, when the LJB organizers realized that Scott, as a pitcher, was a comical mismatch against the competition, were their offers to move him to a higher age group rejected by the boys' parents, who are now suing for relief and emotional distress?

In a news conference on Tuesday, the LJB's position was made clear: It offered to move Jericho Scott up, because he was crushing the competition at his current level.

Jericho's parents declined the offer, according to the league's attorney. Now, tell me again the part about the big bad league that is beating up on the kid who just wants to pitch.

I'm sure he does want to pitch. And he should be able to.

But at the right level.

ESPN Page 2 - Kreidler: Let the kid play ... somewhere else.

Read the entire thread....basically no one agreed with you. You figure it out...;)

I wouldn't go that far.

It is funny that you kept saying to stick to the facts, then when I bring more facts that don't support your view, you give up.

You also seem like the type of person who would never admit your wrong.

The kid play in a higher league. He wasn't dominating in that league so he joins a league mid-season where he can. Where is your let him play with his friends now?

His parents should be shot. Instead of pulling the kid and just letting him play at the correct level, they sue. They are the ones who brought this to the media. Way to teach your kid some morals. I wonder if they tell him to steal money from younger kids for lunch money. Or maybe they say if you can't get a 100 on your test cheat.

The coach shouldn't be allow to coach youth sports anymore due to questionable tactics. Why would you add two players from a more advanced league to a developmental league for beginners, other than to stack the team. If anyone should be sued it should be him for every kids league fee.

Bottom line this kids coach and parents have given youth baseball a bad name and should be forced to make a public apology for what they did.

Loose definition of "facts".

How so?

Everyone's argument was that the kid shouldn't have to move up. When in fact he moved down so that he could dominate. Others said let him stay with his friends he shouldn't be forced to play with kids he doesn't know. Well, the less advanced team is the one he is new to.

The original article could be said to have questionable facts. Since it was a press release from the parents and didn't cover both sides of the story and bent the truth until it was almost a lie.

How so?

Everyone's argument was that the kid shouldn't have to move up. When in fact he moved down so that he could dominate. Others said let him stay with his friends he shouldn't be forced to play with kids he doesn't know. Well, the less advanced team is the one he is new to.

The original article could be said to have questionable facts. Since it was a press release from the parents and didn't cover both sides of the story and bent the truth until it was almost a lie.

He didn't move down...he was playing in both leagues. So what is the problem? The problem is not the kid, it's the league. Is the league improving because a better pitcher is playing in the league or is the value of the competition decreasing because he is a very good pitcher and the other teams are not as talented? Depends how you look at the glass I guess....half full or half empty. SO in conclusion, this new information already solves the issues of "play in a more advance league" cries.....he is already there. Tell me, IF he had been playing for the team that was the defending champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators, would this kid be "banned" to pitch...?? I am willing to bet one months pay he wouldn't.

Again, this about jealous parents from another team/s that are upset they didn't get this kid 1st.

He didn't move down...he was playing in both leagues. So what is the problem? The problem is not the kid, it's the league. Is the league improving because a better pitcher is playing in the league or is the value of the competition decreasing because he is a very good pitcher and the other teams are not as talented? Depends how you look at the glass I guess....half full or half empty. SO in conclusion, this new information already solves the issues of "play in a more advance league" cries.....he is already there. Tell me, IF he had been playing for the team that was the defending champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators, would this kid be "banned" to pitch...?? I am willing to bet one months pay he wouldn't.

Again, this about jealous parents from another team/s that are upset they didn't get this kid 1st.

He started in the other league mid-season after being only an average player in the league he belongs. Leagues have standard for players, he was too advanced for the lower league. The problem is the coach and his parents would rather see him dominate the lower league then get better in the league he plays on. The coach took on two kids from the more advanced league to guarantee his winning streak. The coach and parents should be ashamed of themselves.

You are just guessing that this kid pitching in this league is making it better. Since the league doesn't want him pitching I would say it is making it worse. You are taking the parents word on the other team wanting him. There is no other proof showing that. The parents could just be saying this so they could sue and make some money. Does this really warrant a law suit?

You said you have coached at this level, Is this something you would do? Would you place a couple of kids from a more advanced league with beginners and I stress the word beginners, kids who are one step above t-ball. Leave the deal about the other team out of it since there isn't any proof that it is true. If this was your Kid would you want him to play down to a lower level because he wasn't the star of his team? Or is it all about winning at whatever cost.

He started in the other league mid-season after being only an average player in the league he belongs. Leagues have standard for players, he was too advanced for the lower league. The problem is the coach and his parents would rather see him dominate the lower league then get better in the league he plays on. The coach took on two kids from the more advanced league to guarantee his winning streak. The coach and parents should be ashamed of themselves.

And you know FOR A FACT that the intentions of the coach was to win at all cost in a developemental league?? A DEVELOPEMENTAL LEAGUE??!!!WHO is assuming now? The parents said the kid was offered a position on the defending champions team.....again, those a huge allegations....and not a PEEP from the league or the coach of the former championship team to discredit these allegations.....hmm??:rolleyes: I believe the parents because they done the talking and NO ONE from the league has done nothing to disprove the allegations. As far as what I would do, I would let him play. Not because of the possibility of winning a championship....but to let the kid just play. Which seems to be the thing forgotten here....the kid just wants to play.

And you know FOR A FACT that the intentions of the coach was to win at all cost in a developemental league?? A DEVELOPEMENTAL LEAGUE??!!!WHO is assuming now? The parents said the kid was offered a position on the defending champions team.....again, those a huge allegations....and not a PEEP from the league or the coach of the former championship team to discredit these allegations.....hmm??:rolleyes: I believe the parents because they done the talking and NO ONE from the league has done nothing to disprove the allegations. As far as what I would do, I would let him play. Not because of the possibility of winning a championship....but to let the kid just play. Which seems to be the thing forgotten here....the kid just wants to play.

Nobody interviewed the others involved or if they did they didn't add it to the story. I don't believe the parents because when asked about the whole thing they left important key elements out. Then the crazy mom calls the police because a team forfeits a game? Then she wants to sue the league because they found that the kid is too good for that league? She sounds stable and trust worthy.:rolleyes:

I am glad you don't coach around here because you sound like a horrible one. You would take the feelings of one spoiled brat over that of the rest of the league. your views are so narrow minded that you would ruin fun for the rest of the kids so some kid could be a super star in beginners baseball. Nice!:(

Here is some more info from articles around the web....

"For other kids it’s a scary thing."

That’s parent Nana Velez. She and other parents complained that the ace pitcher frightened kids and left them feeling discouraged. League officials agreed. They decided that Jericho should play a different position and shouldn’t be allowed to pitch. When his coach refused, the League disbanded his team.

Last night the League held a press conference to discuss Jerichos’ situation. League lawyer Peter Noble says Liga Juvenil is independent and not affiliated with Little League.

"It is really the directives or the prerogatives of the League to decide how it wants to handle the development of the players and in this particular case the League decided that the player while still on the field, shouldn’t pitch."

Wayne Morrison coaches the All Star Pop Smith – Little League team in New Haven. He says he’s never seen anything like this controversy

"I just think a kid if he’s good at what he does he should be allowed to do what he does. I hear the team was dominating other kids and then kids was losing interest cause they losing by 20 and 30 runs

another....

Jericho Scott also plays for an all-star team in the Dom Aitro League in New Haven, where he is coach Mark Gambardella’s fourth-best pitcher and only recently installed as the regular second baseman. We should all be sad when Gambardella says that “the kid is a wreck” over all the attention and the associated guilt trip of a 9-year-old who thinks he has done something wrong.

Conversely, we’re guessing that Nicole and Leroy Scott, the

parents of the young man, are on a thrill ride, judging by the comments made by Nicole Scott when a league team threatened to pull its team off the field if Jericho pitched in a game on Aug. 20. According to several earwitnesses that day, Nicole Scott threatened to bring the league to its knees, using vulgar language within earshot of the players.

and another....

Like most around the country upon hearing of Jericho Scott’s plight, I was appalled that this kid was being harassed, indirectly as it may be, by league administrators and parents. What do you mean he’s a menace to the batters? Everyone agrees he throws hard and straight. Moreover, I talked to no less than four kids who have faced Jericho Scott without fear in the Dom Aitro League, and at least a couple of them profess to have hits off of him.

But there is a foul smell when a team that is 4-0 with a full complement of players and suddenly adds two Dom Aitro all-stars in mid-year while other teams of modest ability, including at least one team with a short roster, are left to struggle.

“This is a fun league, and it really doesn’t have many rules,” said Chris Helland, whose daughter, Danajah, and nephew, Frankie Scalo, both 10, play for J&I Luncheonette. ”I’ve been with this league from the start, and whenever they have a discussion (over some league issue), they get together and agree on rules. That’s how we decided upon the pitching (total pitches). Otherwise you’d have the same kid pitch every game.”

And here’s where the whole affair takes another sordid turn. Some people in the league bemoan the fact that Jericho has pitched more than is reasonably necessary. In his first day in the league, Aug. 9, a Saturday, Scott pitched five innings. The next day, he pitched three more innings. In the following game, Wednesday, Aug. 13, he pitched another five innings — after which the league was ready to disband Will Power Fitness, unless it gave assurances the Scott wouldn’t pitch any longer.

Understand that this is not your Williamsport-styled little league. It is not affiliated with the official brand and it is best called a developmental league. So when little Jericho and his fastball turned up in mid-season to blow 40 mile per hour smoke past uncertain newbie batters game after game, there were raised eyebrows throughout the league.

Tuesday, in response to threats of a suit from an angry Nicole Scott, the LJB held a disjointed press conference at Criscuolo Field. Attorney Peter Noble, the league’s advisor, hemmed and hawed his way through real questions and kept getting back to the fact that league parents were in fear for the eyes, ears, and noses of their precious kids.

So is this whole Jericho Scott story a political backlash at Will Power Fitness, to some, an increasingly renegade team in a league where the emphasis of many is on the most elemental teaching aspects of the game? Therein lies the inherent inconsistencies of the LJB because in one breath, the league purports to be all about “Community and Family” (the words on the T-shirts that were distributed to parents for press conference purposes Tuesday). Yet, if it truly wants to be a developmental league, don’t keep score and don’t crown champions. You either play to win or you play only for fun.

One interested observer to the dysfunctional attempt at the press conference was Wayne Morrison, coach of the 9-10 all-star team in the affiliated Pop Smith Little League in New Haven. He came here thinking, from everything that he’d heard the past couple of days, that a gross injustice was being perpetrated upon Jericho Scott and Will Power Fitness.

“I’ve never heard of anything like this ... it was unbelievable ... a kid kind of being denied a chance to play because he’s too good,” Morrison said. “Our first reaction was, Wayne, go over there, find the kid and bring him over to Pop Smith. We’ll welcome him with open arms. It kind of took me for a loop. And then I came out here and I was talking to some of the people who are involved in this and my understanding is that this team was beating other teams (by lopsided scores), and they were trying to kind of balance things.

“The more information I get, the more I understand. You’re talking about 9- and 10-year-old kids here. Is the main thing winning? Sometimes it’s not. I’m just amazed how they let him on this team. I would question that. If a team is 6-0 and you put two all-star kids on it, are you balancing things out? So I’m kind of confused at what the issue is here.”

And another...

But despite that nationwide coverage and commentary, I have heard or read less about, as Solomon revealed in his objectively illuminating column, that Jericho Scott also plays for an "all star" team in the city's Dom Aitro league, and was put onto his new team in the LJB, which is of a more developmental origin, in mid-season. That makes about as much sense as recruiting players from either the Yankees or the Red Sox (How's that for diplomacy?) and having them play against these kids midway through a season. It's the same scenario here, albeit on a smaller scale. These kids threatened to walk off the field, not out of bad sportsmanship, or not bucking up to adversity, but because they were scared, and they should have been scared.

In Jericho's defense, his high-speed pitching was reportedly always accurate and he never hit anyone with the ball. I once caught a ball in the forehead (as opposed to in my hand) when I was nine years old, and now, decades later, the bump is still there, as well as the vivid memory. Being hit with a speeding ball is not a requirement to be rightfully scared of one. Jericho Scott, through no fault of his own, was literally "out of his league."

And I blame his coach, and the league officials for that. The LJB reportedly has few formally written rules, so the coach, at least on paper, did nothing wrong by playing Jericho. But common sense and common decency should have directed his decision over a vicarious unquenchable thirst to win at all costs-in a league for little kids! Growing up as a kid, my father always encouraged me to participate in organized sports, but he was never really enthralled by them. He often regaled me with his stories of his growing up as an urban street kid and playing "sandlot ball," just with his friends, spontaneously, with whatever resources they had to play or even improvise with at that time, and without the need, or the desire for adult supervision and intrusion. Now I see why. My Dad, who also played semi-pro football and is no shrinking violet by any means, always emphasized tough competition, but not nearly as much as he did good sportsmanship. Maybe the LJB should now begin implementing some more written rules, and sportsmanship should be on page 1.

As for the coach, Wilfred Vitro, he's history. Apparently, he did violate one of the league's actually formal directives by not taking Jericho off the mound to give both he and his opponents a break. And the nature of Vidro's demise as a coach in the LJB only further accentuated his arrogance. He was only fired by the league when he refused the opportunity to resign. As for some of the kids, they have now been scrambled around throughout the league since all the hoopla. But this is all a little too little, and much too late.

Now, lawsuits are involved, press conferences convened, T-shirts have been made up, written propaganda dispersed, angry parents and hired lawyers are now involved in the mix, and even accusations of angry and vulgar threats being made by parents within earshot of the kids. Jericho's parents, and another player's parents have already consulted prominent civil rights attorney John Williams, and are threatening to sue for the alleged suffering of their kids.

DieThreadDie.jpg

(Posted upon request ;)).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)