Poor picture from WPIX baseball.

Clancy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Just watched a baseball game from Toronto and the Mets were visitors.
Picture resolution quality from the ballpark was terrible. Commercial inserts from the station back in New York were ok.
Toronto stations were not airing the game.
The second generation signal of up and down and up and down on Dish was really not air worthy.
It's about time that WWOR and WPIX gave the satellite providers better quality pictures from remote locations.

I noticed the same thing too. Whenever I don't catch the Mets games on WPIX live, I usually watch/record the Encore feed on SNY later in the day (e.g. tonight at 7pm). Most of the time the PQ is better.

zitro said:
I noticed the same thing too. Whenever I don't catch the Mets games on WPIX live, I usually watch/record the Encore feed on SNY later in the day (e.g. tonight at 7pm). Most of the time the PQ is better.

I was going to watch the SNY feed at 7PM also instead of watching it live from WPIX.
I did not because I usually find out the final score before the tape delay begins.

If as you say the picture quality is usually better of the same game from SNY, then realizing that WPIX's uplink commercials were ok during the game, one could assume the difference is in the downlink reception from Toronto between WPIX and SNY. SNY being the clear winner.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. :hatsoff:

I did a short checkout of the taped delay broadcast on SNY last night , the difference between SNY and WPIX was astounding to say the least.

It would appear that SNY had twice as many lines of resolution as WPIX.

Because the commercials from WPIX were of good quality and the remote ball game of poor quality, it would absolve Dishnetwork of the problem. SNY showed the same game with very good quality, comparable to reception from a Star Choice remote feed.

I have noticed in the past that WWOR and WPIX both usually have very poor quality video from remote games of any sport.

It's time that both satellite providers paid those two stations some much needed technical scrutiny and get the problem corrected for us subscribers.

reply to poor picture on WPIX

This is something that WPIX actually has no control over. WPIX provides the Dish Networkwith a direct feed of analog feed (thier choice) on a fiber that they provide. After that DISH compresses the signal to fit it on their satellite with everything else they air. Typically sports networks are given a higher data rate than plain old TV stations.

If you are in NYC and are able to get WPIX via OTA forget about the channel via satelite. WPIX digital and WPIX HD has great PQ.

jjbell said:
This is something that WPIX actually has no control over. WPIX provides the Dish Networkwith a direct feed of analog feed (thier choice) on a fiber that they provide. After that DISH compresses the signal to fit it on their satellite with everything else they air. Typically sports networks are given a higher data rate than plain old TV stations.

My point is that WWOR and WPIX both have poor quality video resolution of remote sporting events but good quality resolution with the commercials that are inserted by them into the total package that they both send to Dishnetwork.

SNY showing the same game has good quality commercials and good quality from the remote location as a package that is delivered to Dishnetwork.

I am talking a major difference in lines of resolution between SNY and the other two stations.

Monitor the problem and you will see what I'm talking about.
It's time the quality was improved.

I feel HD downcoverts to SD broadcasts look blurry on purpose so people think HD is so spectacular, that's my thinking. It's a scam. FSN-Bay Area has been looking AWFUL on their SD broadcasts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)