Poor SD quality: read this.

TheHammer69

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
As most of you probably have noticed Sd does not typically look good on Voom. As some may have tried, they discovered SD looks actually pretty decent when hooked up via composite or S-video. If you want to have a better understanding why that it can be a good thing to hook up SD via these two "lower" cable standards, read this at the Avs Forums: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=320181

When you read it, ignore the fact that the author originally wrote it to help Plasma owners adjust their SD settings, and specifically focus on the part: 5. HOOKING UP YOUR DISPLAY FOR BEST NTSC QUALITY. Hope it helps some of you.

That's why I run my box on Auto, so my projector handles the scaling of the SD images. I find the Voom SD much more pleasing to watch than Dish SD. I dropped my Dish SD 6 months ago due to their horribly compressed, fuzzy picture. I see much more detail in the Voom SD channels than I ever saw on Dish SD.

Granted, Voom has a few channels that I can't watch: Travel & BET come to mind as not even worth tuning in since they look so bad.

Question: If Voom supposedly pre-allocated transponder space for all channels, why do a few of the SD's look so bad? It can't be the source because Travel was one of Dish's better looking channels.

Enquiring minds want to know.

DarrellP said:
That's why I run my box on Auto, so my projector handles the scaling of the SD images. I find the Voom SD much more pleasing to watch than Dish SD. I dropped my Dish SD 6 months ago due to their horribly compressed, fuzzy picture. I see much more detail in the Voom SD channels than I ever saw on Dish SD.

Granted, Voom has a few channels that I can't watch: Travel & BET come to mind as not even worth tuning in since they look so bad.

Question: If Voom supposedly pre-allocated transponder space for all channels, why do a few of the SD's look so bad? It can't be the source because Travel was one of Dish's better looking channels.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Leaving your box on Auto still is no substitute for s-video or composite with SD. I also leave mine on Auto but any of the poor SD channels look tons better viewed over the composite for me.

Hammer

TheHammer69 said:
Leaving your box on Auto still is no substitute for s-video or composite with SD. I also leave mine on Auto but any of the poor SD channels look tons better viewed over the composite for me.

Hammer

I totally agre with you. I do not watch much SD but I have my VOOM box to connected to composite as well. My 721 I also use composite. Hardly watch any SD but if I have to I will use composite connection.

Sd

I have done a direct comparison on my projector of TCM on VOOM and the other satellite service. Voom is sharper. There seem to be some reception problems on some channels (TNT was one the other night). This manifests itself as what we used to call sparkles on C-band. I think this kind of problem originates before it is uplinked by VOOM. Some of these problems may be source material or reception at VOOM's source.

Your correct, the sparkles come from their c-band, before it is encoded and uplinked by voom. Us C-banders are experencing some problems with the History channel. But the others are ok. BET is on G5 VC2 analog, G5 is harder to get now days, but shouldn't be a problem for a head end with a large dish and properly aligned. Travel is on C4 DC2 digital, same format as voom, although they can get Travel from a number of sources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)