SD Picture quality/dropouts

Hawkshaw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2004
I’ve had Voom for three weeks now and have experienced the usual problems…confusion on install dates, equipment showing up at the last minute and incomplete. But I finally did get installed. I had to ‘peak’ the dish myself (signal was 80-85 when the installer left) and had to adjust the Winegard OTA myself.

I’ m fairly pleased with Voom. The HD picture quality is really nice, but I get …. Don’t know what to call ‘em…drop outs, I suppose, on the SD channels. I watch CNN a lot and it’s really annoying for the picture to disappear every minute or so. My signal is 94 to 95. It doesn’t seem to be weather related as it happens all the time.

I have a Toshiba 34HF83 connected via DVI. (Humm…I haven’t tried the component connection.) I see the problem in both ‘natural’ and stretched mode.

I know this probably isn’t enough information but does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Moderator Note: Title of thread changed to better describe the issue.

SD Picture quality

I've been experiencing the same drop-out problem (on occasions) since I started with Voom. I had the STB switched out but it still occurs. I requested a new DVI cable which is coming in a couple of weeks so I hope that solves the problem. I'd like to know who else is having or has had the same problem and what possible solutions are.

I had this problem using DVI connection switched to component and problem is gone ,hoping i can go back to DVI with next software update

I have used both DVI and component and they both have drop outs. However, the component seems to be less. I had this problem since having Voom. This is supposed to fix when ever the "new release" comes.

I really don't noticed a drastic difference in PQ between component and DVI.

The only time you'll see a difference between component and DVI is if your TV doesn't do a good job of conversion between analog and digital. So dependent on your TV manufacture there may or may not be a difference in picture.

I dont really see a difference between the two ,I just need the DVI to work so i can free up a component input for my xbox

thanks for the suggestion

I tried the Componet input and no dropouts! I didn't have time to watch but an hour or so but did not see any on CNN and MSNBC.

Aagin, thanks.
Hawk

Ok, this one really boggles my mind. If this were happening the other way around it would make a whole heck of a lot more sense :p Course were never that lucky hehe

So I'm gonna think out loud here and see if we can come up with a probable point of failure.
Digital input from Sat to STB
Digital input from STB to DVI
Digital input from DVI to TV
Compared to
Digital imput from Sat to STB
Analog input from STB to Component
Analog input from component to TV

Our failure points as I see them.
1. Decompression of the digital Sat signal in the STB. (Unlikely as it has to do this for analog as well though there may be a difference someplace)
2. Bad or low quality DVI cable/connectors
3. DVI data conversion to picture in the TV software (unlikely but still there)

Not sure how we would go about isolating these possibilities other than for number 2, buying a different cable. Any thoughts, I'd like to hear them.

I just had Voom installed the other day. Screen goes black for a few seconds constantly while using DVI. Component works fine. I only have one Voom box, but I tried it out on both of our Samsung DLP's and the same thing happened.

Did a couple searches and found "Flashing DVI" referenced back in march as one of the fixes coming for the patch around 3/31/04. The version at the time was 5.08 as far as I can tell.

Top of page 16, issue #5
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=79864#post79864

I wouldn't mind so much, but I need that component input for other equipment.

-Eric

eparker, this was a common problem with the old software, check to see which version you have. Leave your stb off over night for a few days. You'll know as soon as you have it because the channels change must faster, the blackout are all but gone and you get a warning screen when entering the setup menu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts