Pop-up message: “The EHD will need to be formatted and all information will be lost”

Who says the the number has anything to do with the actual key? I think some assumptions are being made here because of the diagnostics screen which is less than informative (does anybody really know what the diagnostics codes mean?).

Test your DVRs with the same EHD and if they work, don't worry.

It could be that only two recievers can be tied to one number?? My two have the same. You are a threebie. Only the Dish tech gods know for sure.

Well, I would definately agree that if you're not having a problem you don't need to worry (and there's no reason to risk a rehit).

I don't have any info besides what we've seen and what people have reported. Most people do have one key on all thier boxes.

But apparently, the last digit of the key doesn't not have to match. We don't know how the key is assigned, but the 622/722 could have been programmed to ignore (mask), the last digit of the key. Until someone reports something different, I'm assuming the rest of the key must match.

Last edited:
Well, I would definately agree that if you're not having a problem you don't need to worry (and there's not reason to risk a rehit).

I don't have any info besides what we've seen and what people have reported. Most people do have one key on all thier boxes.

But apparently, the last digit of the key doesn't not have to match. We don't know how the key is assigned, but the 622/722 could have been programmed to ignore (mask), the last digit of the key. Until someone reports something different, I'm assuming the rest of the key must match.

OK, thanks

OK, thanks

I really would like to know about this too. I just got a household key after compaining about not being able to move a drive. Before than the key was zero on all three of my hachines, and when I tried moving it, it complained that I needed to activate external hard drive(message 787). Apparently few of the CSR's know what to do, since the initial, apparently american CSR, said I had to reformat the drive. The second tech sent out a hit.

The last two digits on two of mine is now 60, and these are the two I tried moving my only EHD used for DISH. However I now looked on my third 622 and it has a household key of four less (5C). Since I currently don't have a spare drive, I don't want to try this and lose all my current recordings.

Last edited:
I really would like to know about this too. I just get a household key after compaining about not being able to move a drive. Before than the key was zero on all three of my hachines, and when I tried moving it, it complained that I needed to activate external hard drive(message 787). Apparently few of the CSR's know what to do, since the initial, apparently american CSR, said I had to reformat the drive. The second tech sent out a hit.

The last two digits on two of mine is now 60, and these are the two I tried moving my only EHD used for DISH. However I now looked on my third 622 and it has a household key of four less (5C). Since I currently don't have a spare drive, I don't want to try this and lose all my current recordings.
You will be warned about reformatting and you can quit. So, go ahead and try. If it would say you need to reactivate to that receiver, go ahead and do it.

So back in May, I started this thread becos all of a sudden I couldn’t access the information on my EHD. I ended up losing everything when I reformatted.

My problem had nothing to do with the household key discussion that followed as this is the only DVR that this EHD has ever be associated with and was activated on.

Since then everything has been fine…until this morning. We turn on the DVR and go to access the EHD and the ‘My Media’ icon is gone. I hard reboot the DRV and the EHD and the dread pop up message “the drive will need to be formatted and all information will be lost” has returned.

We had just used this right before we went to bed and now BOOM!

Before I follow RandallA’s instruction on recovering the files on an EHD is there any better understanding on why this occurs? Is this going to be a common every 4 month occurrence?

Thank you again.

It's happened to him twice so it's either a faulty receiver or the EHD. I would consider getting another drive (if you can of course) just to make sure. It's happened twice, so I think it will happen again.

It's software, contact Dish Tech Support

I had the same thing fixed yesterday via a chat with level 2 tech support. The code in the upper right corner was 866 and I have a Western Digital 500 Gb EHD that I got about a year ago when Dish added this feature.

I first got the error back in May too, when one of the software updates rolled. I didn't need the space until now as the new shows started up again.

Fixed in about a 15 minute chat session. They sent a signal to my 622 and I was able to access the files I've had on there.

I just want to chime in on the household key issue...

I have found that the household keys do NOT need to be the same for the external drive to work correctly with 2 different receivers. I recently upgraded from a 622 to a 722 receiver. Before connecting the external drive to the 722, I noticed that the household key for my 722 was completely different than the key on my 622.

I thought that this would be a problem because I had read on this forum that many people have said that the household keys need to be the same in order to successfully move the external drive to another receiver... but I decided to try the drive with the new receiver.

Even though the household key was completely different, I did not have any problem at all with the external drive on the new receiver! All of the recordings were still there and it has been working properly for a few weeks now. Also, I did not have any problems moving the drive back and forth between the two receivers.

So all this talk of the household keys having to be the same is not true. Maybe all that is required is that the household key be registered to your account.

Update.

I followed RandallA instructions and transferred the files to a working EHD.

The problem was this...there are two partition and the first one was gone....simply not there any longer...go figure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts