Popup Ads

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceT3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Rainsalot Florida
What's with the influx of popup ads? Switch to a new ad provider or something?

I've had popup blockers disabled on this site for a while and now so I get the PM popup and links to work normally.. I've had to re-enable blocking of popups because of these ads.. they're the worst too.. minimized windows with javascript doing the dirty work..

I don't mind the ads, but popups are the worst..

It could be one of 2 things. Either one your computer could got a virus or you encountered the Vibrant Ads feature. I noticed that myself as my screen reader can no longer read the site. This board does have a high percentage of advertising on it then most other vB boards around, although most of it is only viewable if you're a guest and Scott needs to feel the server.

What's with the influx of popup ads? Switch to a new ad provider or something?

I've had popup blockers disabled on this site for a while and now so I get the PM popup and links to work normally.. I've had to re-enable blocking of popups because of these ads.. they're the worst too.. minimized windows with javascript doing the dirty work..

I don't mind the ads, but popups are the worst..

I'll double check.. but I'm an anal programmer, I never install anything I'm not familiar with and always keep an eye on things running in the background and addons on my IE..

Plus I only get popups when visiting this site.. i'll disable pop-up blocker for this site again and when I get them again I'll adivse you of the ads causing them if I can.. I'll even snippit the code from the source if I can :)

If you have access to another computer, check this site in it and see if the plop-ups show up. What products are showing up in them? If they're pr0n, then it's something on your computer.

ok.. I checked every executable running on my system against process watchers, everything checks out..

Add-on manager has only shockwave, win media player, and adobe enabled..

Only things open were Outlook, and 3 tabs w/ Sat guy pages (search, The next channels on E* we want, and Anyone reading happy potter)..

This link was for PCTurboPro which popped open minimized in the corner, ran a javascript link that asked if you wanted the software then took you to the site and tried to install the software if you attempted to close the javascript box..

Here's the link that popped up

Code:
http://pcturbopro.com/.download_now/index.php?p=23&ax=1&ed=2&ex=1&hv=10&j=1&aid=nightwas&lid=intl&affid=&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]&aid=nightwas_rdt&lid=intl

I would have suggested the recommendations everyone is offering if it weren't for one simple thing. No other site is popping open these popups.

I visit yahoo fantasy sports.. yahoo & google news.. as well as engadget almost all day.. yet the popups are relegated to this site and this site alone.. coincidence.. possibly.. :)

Attachments

• popup.JPG
    popup.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 174
Nope definately not from us.

You might want to also try the New Satellite Guys look style, there are much less ads there. Or better yet become a Pub Member and the ads go away (although I think you will still get the popup since its not coming from us) :(

From looking at the image, you definately got a virus. Here's more information on that nasty bugger... It maybe sitting on the sidelines somehow and a script on this mboard on SatGuys may be triggering it. You can also go to WHT (webhostingtalk.com) and ask someone in the Lounge there as they might have an answer too.

You can do a Google search for PCTurboPro which link to some sites with tips to nuke it. There's also some free scanners like Ad Aware, Spybot search and destroy, etc that might help. The link below should help...

Link: PCTurboPro - How to Remove Spyware and Virus Discussion

I can't explain enough that its not ad-ware or a virus.. it's a url popup from one of the ad vendors.. I've disabled javascript for all the ad providers and it stopped showing up (along with all the ads btw)..

I'm telling you that one of the providers isn't being truthful about not using popups.. or accidently has one in their loop..

I asked someone over on another board and they mentioned it might be one of the providers causig it instead of something on the computer. Someone at the bus lot checking this board just got a simular pop-up when an ad inside a Vibrant Ad was showing a PCTurbo ad. Just a matter of tracking it down. I temporary turned off the ad-blocker on one of my browsers so I can see if it's from one of the ad providers here.

I can't explain enough that its not ad-ware or a virus.. it's a url popup from one of the ad vendors.. I've disabled javascript for all the ad providers and it stopped showing up (along with all the ads btw)..

I'm telling you that one of the providers isn't being truthful about not using popups.. or accidently has one in their loop..

I block most of the nastier URLs on my Netgear router like doubleclick, viberant, etc., so I miss some of these.

That PCTurbo pop-up sounds like what my son picked up a couple of months ago on his PC. I never did figure out where he went, but he got something that kept popping up a warning and it installed a Systray icon that would continually warn of an infection (No Sh!t!) and "click here to download" this "free" "Spyware Cleaner" to get rid of it. Yeah, right.

I took over from there, and fortunately, all it took a little registry hacking and a cleaner program that targeted this nasty to get rid of it. Microsoft One Care had nothing to say about it, though; neither Anti-Virus or Defender detected it.

I asked someone over on another board and they mentioned it might be one of the providers causig it instead of something on the computer. Someone at the bus lot checking this board just got a simular pop-up when an ad inside a Vibrant Ad was showing a PCTurbo ad. Just a matter of tracking it down. I temporary turned off the ad-blocker on one of my browsers so I can see if it's from one of the ad providers here.

The ads Vince sees are present when not logged in as a member and they are nasty. Log in as member and they do not appear. I believe your statement above is more correct than others imply. Vince's computer is not infected one of the ads present on this site is causing this. I saw the same popup visiting the Dish network forum. when returning from first read post the pop up appears and wont go away. Logged into member id and visited same page and no nasty popups. Ran antispy adaware and spybot and nothing shows.

Okay its been a coup;e of days since I last reported about the pop up ads here on satellite guys. It seems to be associated with the mediaplex banner ad that runs whenever one is not signed in and returns to the same forum after visiting a post in the same forum. If one changes forums the media plex banner ad does not appear and the pop up ads do not appear. If one signs in the pop up ads never appear. This will reduce traffic here at this site as newbies having not registered here will be subjected to these nasty pop up ads that want to install adware on your computer.I have pop up blocker activated and these ads still appear when not signed in at satellite guys.

I have got the same pop-up mentioned above before log in..... Using OS X with Firefox.
I was not too happy about it. I had to force quit the browser, I'll agree that it is nasty and not the kind of thing I would expect to see on this site.

NEver seen a pop up either, alot of time windows like that are from the windows RPC messanger. You can block RPC from your firewall, and they go away. or disable RPC from your services manager.

I just surfed SatGuys for 30 minutes while logged off and not one popup ad was attempted. A logfile posting of HijackThis would be helpful in determining if there is something hiding on your machine. There are some malware that are good at hiding, very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)