Popup Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be that it is now out of the ad rotation, or that the people that didn't get the popup just happen not to hit it, etc. I've only seen it happen once, while I was not logged in and using the new style of the board. (Last week if I recall) As I mentioned before, I was using OS X (on an Apple G4 powerbook) when I saw the pop-up. It behaved differently as well. It hid the Main firefox window and only showed the pop-up part. It was trying to get me to click the link which was to a windows binary. Of course this would not have done anything since I wasn't using windows, but the popup was still annoying. I would agree that it would turn new non registered users away if it happened to them. It's not that big of a deal to me but if others notice the same behavior it might be worth looking into. I only mentioned it because I saw someone else also saw it.

I just surfed SatGuys for 30 minutes while logged off and not one popup ad was attempted. A logfile posting of HijackThis would be helpful in determining if there is something hiding on your machine. There are some malware that are good at hiding, very good.

gdarwin No popups using IE, NS and Firefox on three different PC's.

It was associated with the "mediaplex" banner ad that splashed across site during returning to forums. I do not see the "Media plex" banner ad anymore.

Re: Another WinFixer infiltration...this time on www.wfaa.com - dslreports.com is a link explaining more of what happened here at satellite guys. The media plex banner ad was one of many banner ads rotated. The mediaplex banner ad redirects to winfixer. Value click owns media plex and had ran winfixer ads. Value click now says they dont run these malicious ads and they are right. They get their subsidiarys to do their dirty work. These ads run on mojo which is java. These ads affect many sites besides this one and that one was removed. Thank you scott. I dont mind banner ads except for those that are as malacious as the ad that was removed.

WinFixer is a variant of one of the most common trojan
infections, Vundo. According to Sandi Hardmeier, who first
found they had infiltrated AOL's and MSN Messenger's ad
networks, the company responsible is Valueclick. They
claimed to have dropped Winfixer as a client, yet Sandi
has found that flash ads from a Valueclick domain,
adfarm.mediaplex.com, are still redirecting web surfers
to Winfixer domains:

I noticed pop up ads the other day and today my browser frose up with an ad with some chick talking and some hip hop music. Anybody else notice? I wasn't logged in at the time, so it might be from some of the extra ads that appear then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts