Portable/Mobile HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

southcst1

Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
We have decided to go big on our groups tailgate party setup for next year. We've been using a single lnb dish on a tripod to a single 24" screen. Very easy, we basically eyeball that one in five minutes. Next year, we would like HD from a 5 lnb dish to two 32" lcd screens. I've ordered a slimline dish, a better quality 5' tripod that accepts a 2" mast, and an Acutrac22 PRO signal meter. I've never used a meter, never set up anything more difficult than what I described, and never seen a 5 lnb dish on a freestanding tripod, but I am good at following directions and have 6 months to practice in my back yard. One advantage, the dish only needs to work for 5-10 hours at a time so wind and weather not really a concern. I am located in the Southern California/Los Angeles area.

If it doesn't work it's not a complete waste as I can replace my 3 lnb dish and ota antenna with the slimline dish at my home.

Am I trying to do the impossible? Will I spend too much of my tailgate time trying to set up the dish?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Is setup harder with the slimline? Yeah

Is it THAT much harder? nah

You'll be able to do it fairly quickly with a few practice runs, especially since you won't need to go for absolutely perfect alignment.

Am I trying to do the impossible? Will I spend too much of my tailgate time trying to set up the dish?

No, definatly not impossible, if you do some practice , and it''s easier to do on the ground than on a roof. you should get it down , by the time you get to your party , you'll be able to set it up in under 30 minutes, if you can't do that, you better give up on the TV and continue drinking :up

Jimbo

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I just haven't seen it done before but it sounds like I'll be able to pull it off. The key is to set it up before drinking.

Jimbo, I'm really disappointed it's not us Trojans playing you guys next month, but I think you're gonna manhandle them Gators. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I just haven't seen it done before but it sounds like I'll be able to pull it off. The key is to set it up before drinking.

Jimbo, I'm really disappointed it's not us Trojans playing you guys next month, but I think you're gonna manhandle them Gators. Good Luck.

I was really looking forward to playing USC too, would have been the good ol Big Ten vs the Pac Ten again, just not on your home field :)

jimbo

Done it for two years.
AT-9 after practice took less than 10 minutes.
Slimline looks easier.
Make certain that the tripod is level and plumb!!!!
I put a 6 " piece of 5/8 in theaded screws to the feet of the tripod to insure level. The e-z align bubble level in the mast worked ok for me

Doctor j

Jimbo, I'm really disappointed it's not us Trojans playing you guys next month, but I think you're gonna manhandle them Gators. Good Luck.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the Gators really should fear those Buckeyes. They sure did manhandle Northern Illinois, Cincinnati, Bowling Green, Michigan State, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois(17-10?) and Northwestern. A Big 10 murderer's row.

:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)