Possible HD-DVR price drop

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bentpushrod

Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
First post here. I just ordered Directv from a local satellite contractor a couple of days ago including a HD-DVR. Yesterday the contractor called back and asked if I wanted to wait because the price of the HD-DVR is going to drop to $99 on Jan. 10th.

I've been lurking here for about a week, but figured I better register and let everybody know about this deal.

First post here. I just ordered Directv from a local satellite contractor a couple of days ago including a HD-DVR. Yesterday the contractor called back and asked if I wanted to wait because the price of the HD-DVR is going to drop to $99 on Jan. 10th.

I've been lurking here for about a week, but figured I better register and let everybody know about this deal.

Thanks for posting but Scott already posted that info along with some other news on 12/15, http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/117932-directv-news.html

Last edited:

You mean the upfront rental fee is dropping. You will not own it.

You mean the upfront rental fee is dropping. You will not own it.

Yea, yea thats what they all mean Vurbano...Good golly man, everytime someone mentions a price on the thing you have to let the world know that they won't own it. We get it. Everyone gets it. Who needs to own the damn things anyway. The price is being dropped. Thats what is new here. Geez, dude are you running low on negatives this week. Come up with something decent already, something informative, or even make something up. That would be more fun. Your posts are starting to look like they are coming from some old bitter man.

Yea, yea thats what they all mean Vurbano...Good golly man, everytime someone mentions a price on the thing you have to let the world know that they won't own it. We get it. Everyone gets it. Who needs to own the damn things anyway. The price is being dropped. Thats what is new here. Geez, dude are you running low on negatives this week. Come up with something decent already, something informative, or even make something up. That would be more fun. Your posts are starting to look like they are coming from some old bitter man.

Hey, let's cut Vurbano some slack. He has 16,000 posts and is a "Founder" member so I say he can say whatever he wants unless of course his 16,000 posts all say "you don't own it".

I'm considering switching to DTV soon from Echostar and I'm not sure I understand the "not owning it" thing completely.... Am I just basically buying a 2-year programming commitment with my equipment selection assuming an HD-DVR? Is this payment the same in concept as prepaying what should have been a much higher equipment rental fee? If I discontinue service after the contractual commitment -- do I have to return the equipment or is return of equipment only done when upgrading equipment?

Since I'd be a new subscriber, would it be better to take the current offer which expires Monday or to wait until 1/10 for the HD-DVR price drop?

I'm considering switching to DTV soon from Echostar and I'm not sure I understand the "not owning it" thing completely.... Am I just basically buying a 2-year programming commitment with my equipment selection assuming an HD-DVR? Is this payment the same in concept as prepaying what should have been a much higher equipment rental fee? If I discontinue service after the contractual commitment -- do I have to return the equipment or is return of equipment only done when upgrading equipment?

Since I'd be a new subscriber, would it be better to take the current offer which expires Monday or to wait until 1/10 for the HD-DVR price drop?

The up front price is what you pay to have it in your home, this is how D* recoops some of the money they spend on the units.
A HR20 for example cost approx. $750-850 you get it for $2-300 depending on your deal with them, you are obligated to have programming for 2 years on advanced units. After your contract is up, if you decide to leave, you simple send the units back in the box they send to you., you don't own it.

The older units you could by, prior to March 05 I think it was. when you are done with them , they sit in your closet.
With the way technology is constantly changing now, I am glad to be leasing, when my 2 yr contract is up they will probably have something else better that I might want, then you would get the lease rate on that as well, instead of haveing to shell out the big bucks to try it.

It also allows people to get the new equipment easier, I doubt that the HD DVR's would be in the number of homes that it is if they were $800 bucks a piece, I for one know that I would not have more than one if thet was the case.

Jimbo

Seems like with $100 off next year on the receiver verses $20/month off for 1 year (good until Dec 31) it looks like ordering now would be the more cost effective solution. True?

Except that no one here yet knows what promotion Direct will be giving when this current $20 off for 12 months expires. One could see the HD price cut and some other programming incentive offered at the same time. Will have to wait and see.

First off, BoisePaul - love your avatar. How old is your Husky? Ours is 6 1/2 & spoiled rotten!

Second, you shouldn't have to pay for your equipment at all if you play your cards right. Just be ready to leave DTV. I don't want to pay for equipment if I don't own it. That said I now have a HR10-250 and a H10 sitting in my basement but at least I wasn't paying an equipment lease fee. I now have a HR21 & H21 and wish I had the 20 series since half of my local HD's are not on the birds and it's a pain to switch through the inputs to get to the tuner on my Sony Bravia. Another issue I am having is the DTV remote doesn't work with my Toshiba HD-A20 and doesn't control half my tv's functions. Still fighting with DTV over these and other issues related to my half install. My 4*8 multiplexer was bad out of the box and the installer still has not come back out to replace it and run the other two feeds off the dish to the house so basically I only have one functioning unit.

Yea, yea thats what they all mean Vurbano...
Sorry but a newbie to D* could be easily misled and this type of topic is just the type of thread they would create or read. You obviously wouldnt care about that. Nothing wrong with clarifying that "price" means rental fee not ownership.

If the said Newbie reads the forums for a bit, he /she will clearly know that the purchase is actually a "Lease" and is not owned !
This site tells you that in every other thread.

Jimbo

I don't mind so much paying upfront costs for equipment but I hate paying for a 2-year contract. In my ideal world -- they would allow you to keep the equipment indefinitely after your original "purchase" of the equipment but require you to pay a monthly rental fee while subscribed and require the return of the equipment for any upgrade promotions. This seems fair.

Service requiring a 2 year contract for use of an HD-DVR seems extreme and does not promote competition between the service providers. To my knowledge, there is no way around a 2-year contract with DirecTv if you want an HD-DVR. I think Dish at least allows for a month-to-month option if you purchase rather than lease equipment. I'd prefer going with DirecTV at the moment since they have superior HDTV offerings but who knows what the field will look like in a year and would like the option of choosing whichever provider has the best content choices at any given time.

I see the $20 off for 12 months discount is still be offered today even though yesterday was suppose to be the end of this. If I'm reading the fine print correctly, the offer has been extended to June 30th. Also the Visa $50.00 cash card is still be offered as well. Now if one can combine this with the upcoming $100 drop in price of the HD DVR, then you've got a good deal.

I don't mind so much paying upfront costs for equipment but I hate paying for a 2-year contract. In my ideal world -- they would allow you to keep the equipment indefinitely after your original "purchase" of the equipment but require you to pay a monthly rental fee while subscribed and require the return of the equipment for any upgrade promotions. This seems fair.

Service requiring a 2 year contract for use of an HD-DVR seems extreme and does not promote competition between the service providers. To my knowledge, there is no way around a 2-year contract with DirecTv if you want an HD-DVR. I think Dish at least allows for a month-to-month option if you purchase rather than lease equipment. I'd prefer going with DirecTV at the moment since they have superior HDTV offerings but who knows what the field will look like in a year and would like the option of choosing whichever provider has the best content choices at any given time.

Personally, I don't mind the initial 2 year commitment, but I feel that after you have been with them for 2 years, you should not have to be under any commitment after that.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.