Possible New Business?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
After previously having a successful popcorn business (hence the name PopcornNMore) and being employed within the electronics \ communications field for many years, I have been thinking about starting a new online company. This company would be selling new and used electronic equipment (mainly satellite and OTA related) via a website as well as on Ebay. All equipment would come with a guarantee and I would treat my customers the way I would want to be treated. Along with selling new and used equipment I will also be offering some exciting new products that I have been developing during the past several years.

These products include the following:
•An AC-3 audio decoder which would easily attach to any digital FTA satellite receiver to receive channels such as PBS without the use of a stereo receiver.
•Mounts for the Channel Master 1.2m dishes that are lightweight and used along with the SG2100 H-H motor drive. These will be powdered coated and adapted to the Channel Master 1.2m dish with ease.
•Mounts for the Channel Master 1.8m dish that work with an actuator motor arm.
•Three HTPC (Home Theater PC) models which include digital FTA satellite receiver card, plenty of DVR storage and come preloaded with applications such as TS Reader and Channel Master. They will arrive all setup and ready to plug into any LCD TV or home theater projector.

All used equipment will be fully tested, cleaned, come with new batteries for remote controls and a full warrantee. I will not be happy until my customers are happy.

What do you guys think? Would I have any customers interested in these products and services?

Mounts for the Channel Master 1.2m dishes that are lightweight and used along with the SG2100 H-H motor drive.
How about mounts for the 1M Primestar (Channel Master) and the 84e Primestar (Channel Master) dishes that fit right onto a SG2100?

You would sell more because there are a lot more of those than the 1.2M dishes.

If you did, you would have at least one customer. :)

What time do your doors open? It all sounds good to me, I'm definitely interested in a few AC-3 Audio Decoders. And I've considered getting an HTPC in the past, but have yet to do so. My PC has every PCI slot filled, and I want to put a BLSA in there somewhere? As is, something will have to go?
Of course all of this would depend on pricing and my financial resources availability....

PopcornNMore - I like the idea of your store.

My PC has every PCI slot filled, and I want to put a BLSA in there somewhere? As is, something will have to go?

moonglow.net said:
Using the tuner standalone: If you have a mobile application, it is possible to remove the Sharp tuner from a BL card and make a small circuit to power it. See here for a schematic of a circuit that will accomplish this. I have not built the circuit but am 95% confident it will work.

I don't know anyone who has tried this yet but it sounds like it is possible to make an "external" BLSA. Another option might be to find out the pins the the PCI card receives power on and connect an external power supply to the BLSA and have the card outside the computer.

How about mounts for the 1M Primestar (Channel Master) and the 84e Primestar (Channel Master) dishes that fit right onto a SG2100?

You would sell more because there are a lot more of those than the 1.2M dishes.

If you did, you would have at least one customer. :)

I do have these dishes as well and mounts could possibly become available. I have worked as a software and hardware engineer for many years and now want to put my skills to good use by providing products that people want. Two of my best friends (one a mechanical engineer and another a RF engineer) are helping me get started in this new business.

I currently have over 100 new and used analog, digital, digicipher II, DirecTV, Dish Network and rack mount receivers that I will begin selling once the business opens. All receivers will be fully tested, cleaned, firmware updated and a pack of new batteries for the remote control will be provided along with support and a warrantee.

PopcornNMore - I like the idea of your store.

I don't know anyone who has tried this yet but it sounds like it is possible to make an "external" BLSA. Another option might be to find out the pins the the PCI card receives power on and connect an external power supply to the BLSA and have the card outside the computer.
qwert, I think this is a great idea, but it's more than a little above me? Maybe popcorn could build something like this and sell it in his New Store..??? Hint..Hint.. Hint....

would be a niche market but would probably be work out. Good Luck!

Great idea.. Yes, it would be a niche market, but most successful online businesses are. I am surprised Sadoun didn't mention this since he already posted in this thread, but I think I saw him mention in another thread how to become a business through his. I think it was about wholesale dropshipping or something. You might look in to that sort of stuff if you do plan to go with ebay. Good luck.

Also, besides your own website and ebay, you might try places like Craigslist since Ebay costs someting to the seller no matter whether you actually get a sale or not. Most stuff usually gets sales on there though, I think. Also, if you do it, you might look to become a sponsor here eventually.

Part wanted

I do have these dishes as well and mounts could possibly become available. I have worked as a software and hardware engineer for many years and now want to put my skills to good use by providing products that people want. Two of my best friends (one a mechanical engineer and another a RF engineer) are helping me get started in this new business.

I currently have over 100 new and used analog, digital, digicipher II, DirecTV, Dish Network and rack mount receivers that I will begin selling once the business opens. All receivers will be fully tested, cleaned, firmware updated and a pack of new batteries for the remote control will be provided along with support and a warrantee.
OK, sounds good to me. Do you have a gearbox cover for a Birdview dish?
Tom :)

Sometimes a niche market is great. We are a small company of 8 employees that is the only one of it kind. My sister is the President and my brother in law and I ran everything for the last two years ourselves. It took us a year to maneuver all the political red tape for our first contract. Now 2 years later that contract has brought in 7 figures and allowed us to get in doors that were slammed shut before. We proved a small specialized company could perform better than a large non specialized one. We now have 8 clients and outperform their previous in house efforts by 85%. If it is something you enjoy and want to make a success then go for it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)