Possible San Diego Voomer

Bilodeaumj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
San Diego
Anyone from San Diego have any good news stories about VOOM? I'm close to getting VOOM service, especially with their new lease option, but wanted to hear about any local stories first. Are you getting the local stations, especially KPBS? Thanks, MJB :p

So I couldn't wait... Mainly due to this Forum (Thanks Sean & others) I signed up and am scheduled for installation this Saturday. Still if anyone from SD has any lessons learned I'd appreciate it...Eagerly awaiting HD 24/7...MJB

I am in Encinitas. Have VOOM and get all the OTA stations with a channel master 4228 (no amplifier).

For OTA information check out this site http://hdtv.forsandiego.com

Carlos

Bilodeaumj said:
So I couldn't wait... Mainly due to this Forum (Thanks Sean & others) I signed up and am scheduled for installation this Saturday. Still if anyone from SD has any lessons learned I'd appreciate it...Eagerly awaiting HD 24/7...MJB

New Voom Install in San Diego, CA

Hello, as you can see I'm a new member of this board. Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm the newest member of the VOOM family. It's awesome. But before I get to describing how it looks on my TV, let me first go over the install.

I signed up for VOOM 2 weeks ago, and my install date was today March 12, between 8am-noon. Installer didn't get to my house until about 11:45am. I was kinda irked about that, but quickly forgot about it because of the professional attitude the guy had. I read how people stated the installers in the white van and whatnot. My installer came in a pickup truck. Not much to look at, but I'm not judging an installers capabilities on how his transportation looks.

We first go to my room, and map out where he would drill the hole in my wall to run the cable to the box. I just wanted to make sure that no water got through it. He assured me that it would be properly sealed off. We went back downstairs, and he brought "the big box" into my living room. We then went to my backyard, and found where East was. Turns out I had a clear shot to the east, so he went back inside and started unpacking. I just hung around and read a Sports Illustrated while he did his thing. He put together the stealth attenna and the Dish fairly quickly, and he was back outside getting ready to mount both devices. Afterwards, he started running the cable and making sure everything was secured on the house. The whole outside process took about 35 minutes.

He came back up to my room and connected the set top box fairly quickly, and connected to the optical out connector between the box and my Receiver, and the component connection to the TV. He made sure that the cable in my room was secured tightly along the baseboard with staples and connected the cable to the box. He then called it in. While waiting on hold he was showing me how the remote works and what not. Then he said it was going to take about 10 minutes for data to be downloaded to the satellite to the receiver. He went back downstairs to clean up all the mess, box included and put it back in his truck. He came back and checked the signal strength of the Dish. It was 60. He said that was the highest he's seen yet. I asked if a lot of people were signing up for VOOM. He said since the night of the Oscars, they got 500 orders in San Diego County alone to get it setup :shocked . He said he's been setting it up for 3 weeks straight now, and said he doesn't see the end in sight yet, lol.

I still have my cable box, mainly because I have cable modem service and also VOOM doesn't have Food Network yet. Regardless he checked out all the local channels over attenna. I wasn't expecting much, after reading what results most people got on the board. I must of been in the perfect area of San Diego because I got FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, KPBS, UPN, and the WB without him having to adjust the attenna. He had me sign the papers and I thanked him for his time. Just like that he was off to the next job.

I must say, all during this week, I was having second thoughts of getting VOOM, especially reading some of the install horror stories on this board. But I'm glad I did get it. Picture is crystal clear in HD. The SD isn't anything to get too terribly excited about, but still good nonetheless. The local channels was an added bonus.

All in all, a very good start from VOOM. They impressed me with the install and the quality and time of it. Excellent. Here's hoping the content is as good as the service.

Thanks for encouragement.

Kidd Supreme said:
All in all, a very good start from VOOM. They impressed me with the install and the quality and time of it. Excellent. Here's hoping the content is as good as the service.

Thanks for the good news! I'm in Carlsbad, and after reading some of the messages I was thinking - :shocked & :no - but now from your story, I'm gonna do it. I'm sick of Adelphia. I can get a DSL connection and in the end I'll save money! Plus my new Sony XBR 910 needs some HD goodness! :D

I was just playing the Oscars this morning on my TiVo (which has its problems) and saw the Voom ad and am headed down to Sears to see what all the fuss is about. :cool:

Nice post!

The good install stories being reported can only encourage those on the fence. Thanks for sharing.

Bill

San Diego VOOM Install - VOOM IS GOOD!!!

I had a great VOOM install this weekend.

Pros: I'm loving VOOM so far! The installer was very courteous and knowledgeable regarding VOOM. All stations were up and running except the CBS OTA station. I was instructed to call back to VOOM and schedule a no-cost-to-me installation of a different antenna (I currently have a stealth). The installer stated that he is doing lots of VOOM installs (I was one of three on Saturday).

Cons: I was disappointed that I was charged an additional $45 for him to install the satellite cable via the crawl space but since my TV room is in the center of the house, the floor was the only access way. The installer also stated that it would have cost me an additional $40 to run four lines vs. the diplexer. He stated that the Diplexer was in his scope of work and anything additional would be additional costs. He also was adamant that the diplexer only decreases the signal slightly and shouldn't affect my OTA signal quality. However, I wonder if this isn't the reason why my CBS OTA isn't coming in. I'm getting an upgrade to my antenna, which should get me CBS, so in the end run I'm satisfied. Question: Does anyone know if the diplexer decrease signal quality vs. signal strength?

Overall: I've read alot of the info on this Forum web site regarding the complaints of the sluggishness of the box and down time and what not. So far the complaints seemed justified as these things do happen, but to me it's minor inconveniences compared to watching HDTV full time. O hope they do think about upgrading the program guide as it does detract from being able to watch the multitude of available programs. I like VOOM's exclusive programming as well. The Anamania station is a big hit with the kids.

Special note: Thanks to this web site I was referenced a universal remote called the Harmony Remote. I purchased the remote over ebay for half of what it's going for on the web and WOW, it really works as advertised. It took about 30 min. to upload all my specific components but now watching TV is as simple as clicking one button on the remote. My wife is happiest about this. I now hit the "Watch TV" button and the TV, Zoom Satellite, & surround sound all turn on & on the right settings. I do the same with my DVD, VCR, and CD player. It's fantastic...

Bilodeaumj,

thanks for you report. There is no additional charge for addition coax lines. Local installer should be able to up to 4 without any cost to you. Please the read me thread and get the email of Joe Harkins if anyone tries to charge you for the coax lines.

I too live in san diego and am very interested in Voom. I live in the Carmel Valley area and according to antenna.org, the only local channel I may have problems receiving is Fox because they transmit from Tijuana. Is there anyone that lives in north county able to receive Fox with the antennas they provide?

rmi63 said:
I too live in san diego and am very interested in Voom. I live in the Carmel Valley area and according to antenna.org, the only local channel I may have problems receiving is Fox because they transmit from Tijuana. Is there anyone that lives in north county able to receive Fox with the antennas they provide?

I live in Encinitas and get fox with a different antenna available at Fry's called Channel Master 4228. This antenna was already installed before my voom install. (around $45)

I will try out the stealth and reply back!

Carlos

Fox loud and clear

I have had VOOM for almost 2 months now. I live in Santee up against Cowls mountain. I figured I was out of luck for Satellite and OTA since I am surrounded on the south, east, and the west by mountains.

Fox believe it or not comes in loud and clear.

Right now I can not get 8 and 10 from La Jolla. I am going to try a bigger antenna. Voom is offering a 60 voucher if you require an additional attenna.

The antennas I am looking at are big. I will let you know how it goes.

Also had trouble with 8 & 10

PBHDinSD said:
Right now I can not get 8 and 10 from La Jolla. I am going to try a bigger antenna. Voom is offering a 60 voucher if you require an additional attenna.

I live in College area and initially I had trouble getting 8 & 10 as well. My installer did a great job and after the second go around we were able to get them in. You are farther out so have your own unique situation. I have my installers card at home but I'd highly recommend him as he has been doing several VOOM installs a day and knows his stuff. I also tuned him into this Forum so he is up on the latest issues (he now is no longer a proponent of diplexers). Let me know if you need his POC and I'll get it for you.

Bilodeaumj said:
I live in College area and initially I had trouble getting 8 & 10 as well. My installer did a great job and after the second go around we were able to get them in. You are farther out so have your own unique situation. I have my installers card at home but I'd highly recommend him as he has been doing several VOOM installs a day and knows his stuff. I also tuned him into this Forum so he is up on the latest issues (he now is no longer a proponent of diplexers). Let me know if you need his POC and I'll get it for you.

I am in the carmel valley area and must be in a good location as I can get all of the locals with the basic stealth antenna. I am also using the diplexer and it seems to be working ok. The one thing that I am concerned with is that Fox's signal strength is around 30 on one receiver and hoovering around 40 on a different receiver. I also don't think the antenna is pointed correctly but I still receive all channels. Who was your installer?

Bilodeaumj said:

Please send. I can request him from VOOM. My installer also put in a diplexor. pbenson68@yahoo.com

I'm concerned about this diplexer. My install is 5/19. I'm definitely going to get DVR when it comes out so I can ditch the cable box.

Should I ask the installer to run 4 coax lines?

Also, how do you get OTA from two different directions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts