Possible to pick up sats lower than 61w?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

outbackjack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
maine
I have been pretty busy this summer with day vacations and now i am ready to mess with the dish again. I have been able to dial 61w-123w. i wanted to know is it possible to get lower sats like 30w and 15w. I see dish size on lyngsat which should be fine. But i have no luck getting a signal on any of them. Is there a strong tp on 30w to try to lock? I looked on the list but didnt see a strong tp to use. thanks guys for any help.

I have been pretty busy this summer with day vacations and now i am ready to mess with the dish again. I have been able to dial 61w-123w. i wanted to know is it possible to get lower sats like 30w and 15w. I see dish size on lyngsat which should be fine. But i have no luck getting a signal on any of them. Is there a strong tp on 30w to try to lock? I looked on the list but didnt see a strong tp to use. thanks guys for any help.

Not sure it that´s because of your location, but I receive it with very strong signal, mostly I use tps at 11884, 11936 and 12052, with S of around 95 and Q 99.

If your using a motorized system and the arc isnt set up just right!That would cause you not to get some satellites on the lower or higher ends.This was the case with me! was receiving good signals from sats from around 58 to 125 but couldnt get hispasat! (30w).Some strong tps with many channels can be found on that satellite.

thanks guys for the help. StanleyJohn thats what i thought because I had to increase elevation to get 125w. now im trying to mess and figure if the motor is set to high or if the dish is to hit the whole arc.

Unless it's an issue with satellite footprint, you ought to be able to see birds well east of 61ºW. (being in Maine)

Agree with the others pointing to a possible issue with motor dish alignment)

TORONTO CANADA NO PROBLEMES FOR 58 WEST 55.5 WEST T12 AT 15 WEST HISPANSAT 30 WEST ALL GOOD SIGNAL FOR T12 i HAVE 1 METER DISH AND 30 WEST 36" DISH DIFICULT TO GUET THE SIGNAL IN TORONTO ON THE BIG DISH OR ANY MOTORIZE DISH BETTER NO MOTORIZE DISH TO GUET THE SIGNALL

Last edited:
Some things to check

Before I upgraded my motorized dish - - - I did not get very much of the ARC.

When I took the old dish down, I checked how plumb it was - - It was slightly off.

I spent a whole hour getting the pole completely plumb and it paid off!

Once I put the slightly bigger motorized dish back up, I was able to get 15W to 127W.

A plumb pole is critical to tracking the ARC correctly - - - a very small error on the ground may equate to miles up at 22,300 miles in space.

Last edited:

I'm in Montreal and I can get 30w and 15w with no problems. Make sure there is nothing in the your LOS (trees, houses etc...) I had to to cut the top of my 'natural fence' to be able to get 15w.

First I tuned my setup using 61W (Amazonas2), moved to 15W using USUALS and then fine tuned the elevation there. (Small changes make all the difference)

11709 V (15w) and 11884 V (30w) are pretty strong.

I'm covering the arc from 15w to 123w from my Location.

I'm in Montreal and I can get 30w and 15w with no problems. Make sure there is nothing in the your LOS (trees, houses etc...) I had to to cut the top of my 'natural fence' to be able to get 15w.

First I tuned my setup using 61W (Amazonas2), moved to 15W using USUALS and then fine tuned the elevation there. (Small changes make all the difference)

11709 V (15w) and 11884 V (30w) are pretty strong.

I'm covering the arc from 15w to 123w from my Location.
I'm aiming for those 2 Sats in my next Dish alignment.

I'm not sure what might be wrong. i have a plumb pole (i use the johnson magnetic inclinometer). i tried moving the dish without adjusting the motor. say 30w i would move dish up and down and couldnt lock anything. then i tried the motor several movements increasing and decreasing the bottom settings ( i think elevation) from 44.6 up to 46 and down to 43 (several spots in between) then moved the dish and still nothing. with all that said could i need a better lnb (like chaparral?) i have a splitfire. again thanks for all the help guys.

I'm not sure what might be wrong. i have a plumb pole (i use the johnson magnetic inclinometer). i tried moving the dish without adjusting the motor. say 30w i would move dish up and down and couldnt lock anything. then i tried the motor several movements increasing and decreasing the bottom settings ( i think elevation) from 44.6 up to 46 and down to 43 (several spots in between) then moved the dish and still nothing. with all that said could i need a better lnb (like chaparral?) i have a splitfire. again thanks for all the help guys.

I think your Spitfire LNB should be fine, are you sure about those elevation numbers ? kind of high ?...

oh i meant the lat for the motor it is 44.5 per dishpointer. the weird thing is even with the motor set at the right spot my dish will be at 44 instead of offset bend for the sg9120 of 40 - 6.8 to be at 32 or 33 degrees. if the dish is at 33 i cant get anything not even true south.

Before I upgraded my motorized dish - - - I did not get very much of the ARC.

When I took the old dish down, I checked how plumb it was - - It was slightly off.

I spent a whole hour getting the pole completely plumb and it paid off!

Once I put the slightly bigger motorized dish back up, I was able to get 15W to 127W.

A plumb pole is critical to tracking the ARC correctly - - - a very small error on the ground may equate to miles up at 22,300 miles in space.

this is SSSSOOOO TRUE !!!!

a plumb/level pole is a MUST with a motor and i mean not even one degree off !!!!

you got lucky with one hour...i spent a whole day mounting my pole on a brick wall...but the time is worth the results....

how much of "the arc" you are able to receive depends on your location and you line of sight,

if you are in the central to eastern part of north america then you should be able to get well below 61w as long as you dont have any obstructions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts