Possible update on USA Network HD

alebowgm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Was over at PWInsider.com and Mike Johnson was reporting on word that DirecTV had put WWE Raw with HD letters in the show header, signifying the show was to air in HD. However, he reports that it is a mistake on DirecTV's part and WWE airing on USA in HD will not happen until after the Royal Rumble, which is the 27th of January. Now here is the part Dish Network HD subs care about. Accrdoing to Mike Johnson, USA HD will not offical 'launch' until the 28th of January and on that date, Raw will air in HD as well.

Thus, maybe there is some hope that Dish will launch USA Network HD on the 28th of this month, and that is why it has been sitting hidden for the last few weeks.

Pro Wrestling Insider - Pro Wrestling News Inside & Out

For those of you all excited about WWE airing Raw in HD, you are going to have to wait a few more weeks it appears. According to a source, the orignal plan was to indeed launch Raw in HD alongside the USA Network. The HD launch has since been pushed back several weeks and will likely begin the day after the Royal Runmble PPV in New York City, which will be the company's first HD PPV broadcast.

Uplink activity is usually on Wednesday. I do remember that TBS hd and I think Cine Max hd were launched on a Friday.

Well... perhaps that might also coincide with the price increases. Dish may say, "Look! New HD channels! we just raise the priced on you service shh".

I would love to see it. But really I think it's more likely that Dish wanted to carry USA and SciFi HD by Christmas and there was a snafu. AFAIK there are still no real channels on those slots named USA and SciFi.

See ya
Tony

How does this have to do with SciFI HD? WWE has a show there every Tuesday night called ECW, which will also be airing in HD. Same goes for Smackdown on The CW (only show that I belive they air in primetime that is not in HD). Odds are, NBC launches USA and Sci-Fi in HD on the same day, like noted above, and since Raw is the 'premier' brand for WWE, they arent going to waste the HD launch on ECW...

Why the hell should they have to be linked to any external event? The channels are available, the space is available, get them on already!

Dish is probably waiting for the 'OFFICAL LAUNCH', and if the marquee programing of both USA and Sci-Fi in the ratings are not airing in HD until after the Royal Rumble, no reason for Dish to activate the channels, as there is nothing airing in HD....

So all these channels we E* subs have been complaining and moaning we don't have but D* does, have not yet been "officially launched" as HD channels? They are just there to inflate D*'s channel count but not really show much HD content yet?

I am shocked, shocked to learn this has been going on.

I don't know about USA, as I never watch it, but I was under the impression that there's true HD airing on Sci-Fi.

So all these channels we E* subs have been complaining and moaning we don't have but D* does, have not yet been "officially launched" as HD channels? They are just there to inflate D*'s channel count but not really show much HD content yet?

I am shocked, shocked to learn this has been going on.

Nothing to be shocked about: lots of HD programming on USA and SciFi HD channels.:D

Unfortunately Dish Network would like to remain "mum" on the official status which is very disappointing. After reading this thread I looked for the two channels mentioned hoping to see them lingering on my receiver and have not seen them. I then contacted Dish and asked an agent about the channels and they told me that they are not currently available and that as soon as they were I would find out on their website. This is a real bummer as seeing that Directv is already posting those channels available on their site. When I informed them of that they told me they are sorry to hear that and that they are working on it and that as soon as it is available they will let me know on their website. I was at least hoping to hear "The official launch is Jan. 28th and we will have them." Instead all I got was "keep watching the website". Has anyone here been to their website lately? It's like taking a 500 page novel with no cover and loose pages. Throwing it up in the air and sorting through them after they hit the floor. Oh yeah, and the pages aren't numbered.

As an update: Raw tonight actually confirmed that they will go HD on the 21st. I REALLY hope Dish lights up the channel by then.

I wished that I would even see a channel listed. It would make me feel a little more confident but I don't even see that. This is why Dish Agents keeping mum on the news of new channels coming is not a good thing. Especially in light of their competitors already offering it.

no reason for Dish to activate the channels, as there is nothing airing in HD....

Well for you that's true since you don't have the channel. But for us that do there has been plenty of HD on those two channels. Maybe if you keep repeating that statement you will sleep better at night. ;)

Anyone know when Echostar's contract with NBC-Universal is up? I wonder if there is some kind of renewal negotiation that will hold this up, kind of like when ESPN-HD launched.

I can say that as of tonight and its about 22 hours before Raw debuts in HD on USA Network that Dish has once again let down their over billed clients. I called Dish today to ask them about the status of USA Network HD and they said that they have no new information on the status of the channel being available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)