GEOSATpro Post November 2012 firmware reboot cycle

northgeorgia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
North GA
I took a few minutes today to play with the miniBUD, and unfortunately, discovered a still present reboot cycle issue. While it's fresh in my mind, I decided to post the steps here:

SCENARIO 1
Blind scan aborted. Radio channel selected on 99W. Motor moving to last Radio channel scanned. Hit Exit to abort command and pressed TV/Radio to switch to TV. Reboot cycle starts.

Cable used via Ali Editor to reload .udf file. Uploaded latest personal .udf file saved to USB when connected. Factory reset performed.

SCENARIO 2
All C-band channels deselected. C-band TV channel in receiver on 99W. Press All Satellite to find Ku band list. Reboot cycle starts.

Cable used via Ali Editor to reload .udf file. Factory reset performed. Uploaded personal .udf file from USB.

I'm not sure why this didn't happen a few weeks ago during the Beta-test. Perhaps the issue here is that there isn't a "next valid channel" when the entire C-band list is deselected (no adjacent channel)? Anyway, thought I'd comment in case anyone else had this problem.

1. Did you use the default satellite list provided with the new firmware 0.13 and perform a fresh scan for all C and KU-band channels?

or

2. Did you at anytime since installing the new firmware load a user file (.udf) that had been saved or created using old firmware previous to 0.13?

If there is any question regarding the possibility that you loaded an old .udf, please perform a Factory Reset and reinstall new firmware version 0.13 then configure and scan the satellites.

1. Did you use the default satellite list provided with the new firmware 0.13 and perform a fresh scan for all C and KU-band channels?

or

2. Did you at anytime since installing the new firmware load a user file (.udf) that had been saved or created using old firmware previous to 0.13?

If there is any question regarding the possibility that you loaded an old .udf, please perform a Factory Reset and reinstall new firmware version 0.13 then configure and scan the satellites.

Looking at No.2 above:
Though, I haven't had any issues, I may have to do a Factory Reset as my *.udf file is old and created from an old version.

No, I used my old .udf list which was saved directly through the STB with the previous firmware (not edited in ALI editor)

Yes, I just uploaded the list as mentioned above. It was saved to USB drive via the STB before installing the new firmware.

So, let me make sure I understand. Basically it means that any old .udf file carefully saved on the microHD before the new firmware, even if not edited with ALI Editor, can't be used. Therefore, no old user list before the November firmware should be used and I should start completely anew: do a factory reset, reinstall the new firmware, delete all my satellite channels, and rescan. I just want to be sure I understand the full implications of your directions! :)

Looking at No.2 above:
Though, I haven't had any issues, I may have to do a Factory Reset as my *.udf file is old and created from an old version.

We had briefly covered this in posts 8 and 9 of the beta testing thread.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/297517-microHD-Beta-Testing-Comments-version-13-11142012

The new firmware does not fix rebooting issues associated with a corrupted user file (.udf). I may have made this information a bit more clear in the Version 0.13 Firmware Release post.

So, let me make sure I understand. Basically it means that any old .udf file carefully saved on the microHD before the new firmware, even if not edited with ALI Editor, can't be used. Therefore, no old user list before the November firmware should be used and I should start completely anew: do a factory reset, reinstall the new firmware, delete all my satellite channels, and rescan. I just want to be sure I understand the full implications of your directions! :)

I wouldn't go as far to say can't be used, but rather shouldn't be used. As discussed in the beta testing thread, the new firmware version 0.13 does not repair or clean corrupted .udf files. You may have unknowingly transferred a corrupted .udf file to be used with the new version 0.13 firmware. The use of the ALI Editor on the User File has nothing to do with the corrupted .udf data.

In the new version release thread we strongly suggest using the database attached to the firmware and setting-up and scanning for a new user file.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...te-(OTA-SSU)-11-14-2012?p=3035937#post3035937

I hope that this clarifies this situation.

Last week I loaded new firmware and loaded my old .udf file. I never had any of the issues others had. Looking at all the manual entries i've done I dont want to re enter all that info. At this point i'll take my chances

Last week I loaded new firmware and loaded my old .udf file. I never had any of the issues others had. Looking at all the manual entries i've done I dont want to re enter all that info. At this point i'll take my chances[/QUOTE
Yea..me too...It took me 8 hrs. to scan and enter all my channels ( C-Band and Ku )..not about to do this again,if I don't really have to..anyway,so far so good with the new update..

I originally had scanned far more satellites than I ever intended to actually watch just because I could. Previously I couldn't scan S2 signals and went crazy with it at first when I got the microHD. Now I have the satellites scanned in that I use on a regular basis and a full rescan of only those satellites doesn't take that long.

If you aren't experiencing any cycling reboots, then it is likely your .udf file is not corrupt. Why fix something that is not visibly broken if you accept the risk of needing to correct if a corruption occurs. :eek:

We perform full Factory Resets and complete 58w to 139w C and KU-band Multi-Satellite scans several times each week.

The automatic multi-satellite scans occur overnight after business hours, so the only time investment is cleaning the list using the PC editor software. Usually takes about an hour to sort, delete, rename and save.

OK...I now have my new .udf file. So, I'll save this to my usb drive, and make some changes in Ali Editor later, etc.

I did a full factory reset after reinstalling the new firmware. If I do a Factory reset at this point, it would wipe out my .udf file, right? Or would a factory reset actually save my current .udf file as the new user.udf file?

The User Data Base must be saved to USB prior to performing a Master Reset.

Master Resets resets the User Data Base (.udf) to the Default Data Base (.ddf) that is provided with the .abs distribution.

We had briefly covered this in posts 8 and 9 of the beta testing thread.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/297517-microHD-Beta-Testing-Comments-version-13-11142012

The new firmware does not fix rebooting issues associated with a corrupted user file (.udf). I may have made this information a bit more clear in the Version 0.13 Firmware Release post.

I understand that the new release doesn't fix issues associated with corrupted file. The *.udf file that I loaded is not the bad file that I sent to you when the MicroHD was initially released, but was generated before ver .013. Acting on the side of caution, I have reset, and reinstalled version .013 and using the default .udf file to rescan my Satellites.