Post ver6.10 fixes

DRAKO

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
VA
This thread is so that you can post "fixes" with the latest update, I will keep it up to date:

so far by reading other threads I saw:

Fixes
-no microstutters
-no sparklies
-faster channel surfing

Features
-transparent program guide
-Installation wizard
-OTA scanning
-Ability to "hide/remove" unwanted channels from the program guide (channels under 100 only)

Bugs/Problems
-Transparent guide becomes solid Workaround: "pressing voom button and then watch button seemed to fix the bug and send it back from solid to transparent"

(I do not have the new firmware yet, but Im sure we can all use a thread like this to see what's coming / what's fixed / what broke )

Transparent Surf Bar bug? - First, I really like the transparent Surf Bar feature. In the few minutes I had a opportunity to play with the new FW, I noticed the transparent Surf Bar would go away (back to solid) whenever I hit the "VOOM" guide button and came back out. The only way to recover the transparent Surf Bar was to place the STB in standby and turn in back on. Can anyone verify this? Also, did anyone noticed if the transparent Surf Bar was configurable?

It seems like the OTA signal strength numbers were different...although the OTA signal strength numbers appear not to have changed. Not a bug, but can anyone verify my observation?

I saw the Transparent PG bug too. Very little time to play this morning, but i found that pressing voom button and then watch button seemed to fix the bug and send it back from solid to transparent. If this is the worst of the bugs we find i will stand up and do a little dance.

There has been no new functionality added to the program planner. For example, the ability to put a weekly, daily, or M-F entry into the planner.

Hey guys you say you got a transparent surf bar?I got the update but I am surfing and the bar is solid.

Yes my OTA Signal quality has doubled but I think it has to do with the update, and not actually double your Signal quality because OTA siganal power has stayed the same.. Cya Slick

Slick said:
Hey guys you say you got a transparent surf bar?I got the update but I am surfing and the bar is solid.

Yes my OTA Signal quality has doubled but I think it has to do with the update, and not actually double your Signal quality because OTA siganal power has stayed the same.. Cya Slick

Mine too! I got the update but it's still solid! Plus when I added new locals they mapped and showed the correct call letters but after standby the old mappings from stations that I can't get but have the same channel number are there. Weird!

Received my update from v6.0 to v6.10 this morning. I'm in the Washington DC area and noticed that OTA scanning/mapping of channel 5.1 (36.1/37) FOX WTTG is now fixed!!! Thanks VOOM!!

Before the upgrade, if you did an OTA auto-scan, it was displaying the video of either 4-1 or 7-1 when you changed the channel to 5-1. Previously the only way to fix this was to do a factory reset and refrain from doing an auto-scan.

See this post regarding the fixed problem:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=147339&postcount=162

WOOOOW - This is awesome!!!! I didn't really think I had problems with my OTA, but scanning revealed new channels - Telemundo and Univision - which will be awesome for the Olympics, since a lot of the soccer matches will be televised via Telemundo

(not to mention that I went to a friend's house who has Telemundo via Dish Network (that she pays $30/mo) to watch Brasil play in the Copa America semi-finals! And it was on a 19" TV!

The transparent guide is also a HUGE upgrade. And there seems to be less macroblocking when changing channels. Hiding the OTA channels I can't get from the program guide will be huge for my wife - that was her #1 complaint.

I thought I was 100% happy with Voom - but now I'm just ecstatic!

PS - add the ability to "hide/remove" unwanted channels from the program guide - channels under 100 only - to the new features list.

MasterFX1 said:
I have always had a channel 8-15 that is a mirror of 999. Will the add/delete channel function allow me to remove 8-15, despite it not actually being an OTA channel? (I didn't get update yet.)

Yes, 8-15 is in the removal list.

No need for red button

I havent seen anyone mention this yet but you no longer need that pesky secret red button to change resolution. I got the upgrade last night and checked in the settings menu and there was a place to change the resolution. It displays a sentence and says press the red button until it is very clear. Well it cycles through th different resolutions. And even displays the one you picked.

In that same menu - you can also directly choose the resolution using the multi-colored buttons on your voom remote. No need to cycle through or anything.

The only thing you can't do directly - at least that I saw - is "native" mode.

Yea sorry you press a diff color button for different resulutions not the same.. couldnt remember.

Issues in 6.10

I have verified pretty much all of the previously reported issues (except for two or three that I have never been able to reproduce).

Here is what has been fixed:

1. Temporary screen black-out or "snow" effect when switching channels
No longer happens to me on satellite channels, but still occurs on OTA channels when switching between HD and SD channels in native mode.

2. Microstutter/frame drop on all channels, including OTA
Fixed!

3. Closed Captioning
Improved. I no longer get messed-up and overlapped words. And the CC seems to be passed to the TV set as well (though I haven't tried too many input/channel combinations). Still no CC on HD channels.

4. Black screen after pressing WATCH in Configuration
Doesn't happen to me any more. Seems to be fixed.

5. Wrong Polarity Displayed in "manual tuning"
Fixed!

6. Program Planner does not work with PlayboyHD: the STB locks up
Fixed, I think.

7. Lockup when rapidly switching channels
Not happening to me. Perhaps this is now fixed.

Here are some of the most important remaining issues (see this thread for a complete list of known issues in 6.10):

1. No sound (or picture) after switching channels
Seems to be happening less often than before, but still is not fixed completely.

2. Stuck pixels after navigating through the Program Guide
Not fixed.

3. Unable to save video output adjustments
Was anyone able to figure out how to make it work?

4. Problems with HD Audio & Video Test
Not fixed.

5. PG Navigation does not preserve the Channel Selection
Not a big issue.

6. The PG only displays 2 out of 3 lines of program description
7. Program description with quotation marks is not displayed

Rather inconvenient.

If you have any questions about these and other issues, please post them here in this thread.

Transparent Bar?

When i power on and off I can get the transparency to work, but as soon as I go into the menu for PG or FAV it seems to get solid again and will only revert back when i power off/on. Any suggestions? (the voom/watch combo doesn't work for me)

thanks,
TONY

This was posted elsewhere. Go to the installation menu, and from there select Watch. Not terribly convenient, but probably marginally better than going to/from standby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)