Post your BUD installation pictures please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jluyt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I am in the process of getting ready to install my BUD. I have been looking for a good place for the install and it sure can not be on the ground where I am. so it will either be on a pole up 8 feet or so, or on the roof (which I actually do not want to do).

Please if you have mounted a BUD on a 8-10 foot pole, post some pictures... I need some ideas for how/where I must do mine.

Also, I can wall mount, but as you know here is the US, houses are bult with only that thin brick layer and I am not too fond on nailing the BUD to my chimney.

i will post a few photos of my dish tomorrow its fairly high up in the air

i like it being up high but it does make tinkering with the lnbf kinda a pain :D

Last edited:
Here's mine:

I have a 10' mesh SAMI with a dual C dual Ku feedhorn (4 lnbs) feeding multiswitches.
This eliminates the need for a servo motor and provides multiple ports for more receivers off the same dish if I choose.

The other dish is a 7.5' sami mesh with c and ku.
both dishes have 36" actuators.

I threw in a pic of my new bike - 2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R(for the motorcycle crowd).

Attachments

• Photo_061208_001.jpg
    Photo_061208_001.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 278
  • Photo_071408_001.jpg
    Photo_071408_001.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 208
  • Photo_061208_011.jpg
    Photo_061208_011.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Photo_061208_010.jpg
    Photo_061208_010.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 215
  • Photo_061208_009.jpg
    Photo_061208_009.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Photo_061208_008.jpg
    Photo_061208_008.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Photo_061208_003.jpg
    Photo_061208_003.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Photo_061208_006.jpg
    Photo_061208_006.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Photo_061208_004.jpg
    Photo_061208_004.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 267
ok here are my photos with my truck parked below it
the pole is 9ft 4 inches to the top of the pole the dish is a 7 1/2 ft unimesh

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 287
You are lucky, having opens space. I am limited with my yard and that is why I need to make some create plan.

12 Foot Orbitron - High Mount

I installed my 12 foot Orbitron in '91 and it has been in continuous service ever since with only one tracking adjustment (shortly after installation.)

Schedule 40 pipe salvaged from an oil drilling outfit's scrap yard is concrete filled and set in a 5 ft. deep/2 ft. diameter concrete footing. In periods of very high winds it does sway enough to cause annoying signal fading. This could be cured with some relatively lightweight guying, but I've deemed it not worth the extra effort it would take to mow around the guy lines...besides, the whole point of putting it up high was not to overcome any line-of-sight issue, but to provide clearance for the tractor (and to keep it from being used as playground equipment!)

If I were starting from scratch, I would use 24'' Sonotube to continue the concrete pour up for 2-3 feet above grade, similar to the way light poles in commercial parking lots are set, this would considerably reduce wind driven swaying and protect the pole from possible vehicle impacts.

Attachments

• Orb12-Side.JPG
    Orb12-Side.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 285
  • Orb12-Back.JPG
    Orb12-Back.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Orb12-Weatherhead.JPG
    Orb12-Weatherhead.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
private observatory

Thank you, and yes. Astronomy is my other space-based hobby.
Hello GrumpyGuy,
That private observatory in the background looks interesting. I 'm interested in Astronomy myself. I have no equipment, just love looking in the nights sky and seeing all the stars. Was the obervatory your design? What type ofTelescope are you using.

Sorry if this is getting off target, just had to ask!

Thanks,
TOM

:D

Yes GrumpyGuy
i would also be interested in a new post maybe over in the FTA Shack area
with more photos of the observatory and your equipment. I also have no equipment although i almost bought a scope earlier in the year but couldn't find anyone to ask some questions about the equipment. I was wanting to use the scope to look at the skys and also be able to hook up a camera to take photos for my youth group so i could do a slide show of the photos. the plan was to make it interactive taking a group of kids out on a good night. building a light block blind and letting the kids look through the scope at a few celistial bodies. so if you don't mind a few questions make a post for us :)

Thanks, Truckracer. The weather head protects and gives an install a nice finished look. Plus, it gives me a place to hide the end of the poly twine I pull through the conduit along with the coax (which comes in handy later if/when you need to pull another cable alongside the original one.)

Tom and George, I've sent you PMs.

BUD from Space

Here is my BUD from Space, may give you an idea of how tight of a area you can fit it in.

Attachments

• BUDfromSpace.JPG
    BUDfromSpace.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 216
Here is my BUD from Space, may give you an idea of how tight of a area you can fit it in.
Hi Lak7,
Yeah thats pretty tight. Looks as tight of an area where I get my birdview in Plano Texas.

It too was located on the side of the house. Is your dish loated on the South side of the house? How tall is the home next to you for your Line of sight?

Good Luck,

Tom

This is a dish about 1/2 mile from here that's on a pole. I took this pic 3 years ago and the dish hasn't moved in years. But, it's still there. I bet these type of installations are difficult to work with and maintain.

Attachments

• dish005.jpg
    dish005.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 203
Hi Lak7,
Yeah thats pretty tight. Looks as tight of an area where I get my birdview in Plano Texas.

It too was located on the side of the house. Is your dish loated on the South side of the house? How tall is the home next to you for your Line of sight?

Good Luck,

Tom

Neighbors house is about 27' tall(2 story w/ basement) and about 50' away, LOS is just over it. :)
It is on the south side, the "blob" just below is a Pine Tree, it gives me issues with my TS Sat, Galaxy 28 @ 89west. Neighbors are nice, probably would let me trim it up a bit.

Attachments

• BUD2.JPG
    BUD2.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 177
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)