Potential DirecTv sub - Quality of HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rmims404

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2007
I am a potential DirecTv customer. I've had Dish Network HD for almost a year and some of the HD channels I would like to have are only on Direct. My question is- How's the quality of the HD picture on Direct? Is is noticeably better than SD? My HD picture on Dish Network is excellent, I just feel Dish is lagging behind in the HD game. Any help appreciated.

Its ALOT better than SD.

The newer channels that D* has added are Mpeg 4, and most of them are as good or better than you can get with any provider. Some of the older Mpeg 2 channels, while still good, get alot of complaints, however they will be converted to mpeg 4 in the near future

Thanks, msmith. So I should be satisfied with Direct's HD if I swap from Dish Network?

Its ALOT better than SD.

The newer channels that D* has added are Mpeg 4, and most of them are as good or better than you can get with any provider. Some of the older Mpeg 2 channels, while still good, get alot of complaints, however they will be converted to mpeg 4 in the near future

I know things are subject to change, etc but is there a rough timeframe in which they are trying to convert over to MPEG4? Are we looking at weeks, months, next year or beyond? I hear talk over on the E* forums about an all MPEG4 system as though it were unique to E* but I thought that I had understood that D* was in the process of doing the same thing. Am I wrong?

I presently have a single dish for SD and HD with E*. Will I have to install a separate dish to get HD with D*?

I know things are subject to change, etc but is there a rough timeframe in which they are trying to convert over to MPEG4? Are we looking at weeks, months, next year or beyond? I hear talk over on the E* forums about an all MPEG4 system as though it were unique to E* but I thought that I had understood that D* was in the process of doing the same thing. Am I wrong?

Sort of. The new hd channels, launched since last September, are all mpeg4, as will be all subsequent ones. The older mpeg2 will likely (no one knows exactly when) be converted to mpeg4 sometime after D11 is turned on.

Sort of. The new hd channels, launched since last September, are all mpeg4, as will be all subsequent ones. The older mpeg2 will likely (no one knows exactly when) be converted to mpeg4 sometime after D11 is turned on.

I wonder if D* will be forced to offer us current mpeg2 HD subs a better offer on new HD equipment if/when they kill mpeg2 HD ?
I'm currently debating my HD options.
I have Fios internet but have no idea when they will have TV in my area.
Cablevision is another choice, but with fewer HD channels.
I'd like to stay with D* but don't like to pay for 'leased equipment' and have to sign up for a contract commitment.
I'm not crazy about the idea calling retention and having to bargain with them to get a break on new HD equipment.

I wonder if D* will be forced to offer us current mpeg2 HD subs a better offer on new HD equipment if/when they kill mpeg2 HD ?
I'm currently debating my HD options.
I have Fios internet but have no idea when they will have TV in my area.
Cablevision is another choice, but with fewer HD channels.
I'd like to stay with D* but don't like to pay for 'leased equipment' and have to sign up for a contract commitment.
I'm not crazy about the idea calling retention and having to bargain with them to get a break on new HD equipment.

IIRC, Directv has offered all hd subs that have only mpeg2 receivers a free upgrade. It would come with a new commitment I am sure.

I switched from dish to D* 6 weeks ago,and the PQ difference is not very noticeable,maybee a hair better on HDlocals,nats are a touch sharper now,as are sd's.now,both my tvs are 720p,if you have a 1080 I/p display,HD should be better on D*.sd probably has as much to do with the quality of your' tv.the difference is negligeable to 90% of viewers.so dont let this be the biggest reason to switch.

I switched from dish to D* 6 weeks ago,and the PQ difference is not very noticeable,maybee a hair better on HDlocals,nats are a touch sharper now,as are sd's.now,both my tvs are 720p,if you have a 1080 I/p display,HD should be better on D*.sd probably has as much to do with the quality of your' tv.the difference is negligeable to 90% of viewers.so dont let this be the biggest reason to switch.

Wait a minute there.
You telling me that D*'s HD channels are only slightly better than the SD channels ?????

If thats the case, you have something DRASTICALLY wrong on your end.

Most people that are changing to D* are doing so for more HD channels and /or have other issues with thier current set up.

As for the 720p, 1080i and 1080p issues, that is a total different issue.

Don't let the 1080p stuff effect your design as NO ONE D* E* or fios or cable broadcast ANYTHING in 1080p as of yet and I don't expect it any time soon, not very cost prohibited for the networks.

Jimbo

Wait a minute there.
You telling me that D*'s HD channels are only slightly better than the SD channels ?????

If thats the case, you have something DRASTICALLY wrong on your end.

Most people that are changing to D* are doing so for more HD channels and /or have other issues with thier current set up.

As for the 720p, 1080i and 1080p issues, that is a total different issue.

Don't let the 1080p stuff effect your design as NO ONE D* E* or fios or cable broadcast ANYTHING in 1080p as of yet and I don't expect it any time soon, not very cost prohibited for the networks.

Jimbo

exactly where did I say that?
I was not saying in relation to SD,which I know was the original post.just giving an overall synapsys being a new sub with "fresh eyes"

exactly where did I say that?
I was not saying in relation to SD,which I know was the original post.just giving an overall synapsys being a new sub with "fresh eyes"

Post 11.
From the way I read it, it sounded like you were saying that D*'s HD was no better than SD channels.

Jimbo

I have had D* for just over a week now and do notice a difference in PQ on the HD channels over the SD. The HD channels both D* and E* have are very similar for me, but the channels like NICK HD which appears to not broadcast many HD shows as of yet, does look much better than the SD version.

My 10 year old was watching a show and actually told me it looks so much clearer now. He knows I changed service but he clearly told me the NICK HD channels looks great...I would have to agree.

Also on a side note, I watch the two Battlestar Galactica specials on SciF channel in HD, a world of difference over SD. These were broadcast in HD and Battlestar Galactica never looked better.

I'm interested in this too.

A lack of SpeedHD and SciFiHD are getting to be an issue for me.

However I've always felt that E*'s PQ was better than D* and I never cared for their poor advertising tactics regarding HD.

The only thing that has kept me with Dish is the 622. Best DVR bar none and its the reason I stay.

I have 2 HDTV's both running off the same 622 with the RF remote in the bedroom(one is component, the other is HDMI), can I do this with any of D*'s DVR's?

The channels we watch in HD are great but some of the ones we don't like Food and HGTV pixelate badly although they are all mpeg4.

LIL's took a big leap a while ago from being marginal to nearly onpar with OTA except for CBS.

Both our TV's are 1080p.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)