mattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 14, 2011
n/a
just got a call from 800-333-3474.

Gentleman on phone asked if i was using dish satellite for tv service and said that a location of a satellite orbital was changed and that i would lose channels in 3 to 4 days if i did not work with him to upgrade my receiver.

I told him i would call customer service later, when i had time, and work through the process.
He assured me that i needed the technical department and that i needed to stay on the line with him.
I hung up.

Anyone else gotten this call?

Good plan (hanging up) because this is a scammer spoofing Dish's phone number.

Yes, this scam has been reported here before.

Reactions: charlesrshell
When I'm in the mood and have a moment to spare, I talk with these scammers for a longer time, simulating ignorance.
But in the end I always have a good excuse, not to go into business with them.

All the time they talk to me, they cannot scam anyone else.
Also when it takes them so much time, the scamming will be less rewarding for them, I hope.
That is my philosophy....

Greetz,
A33

We all laugh about stuff like this on here but when I watch our local news consumer reporters (3 on Your Side, Call 12 for Action, Let Joe Know, etc.) there are stories like this every day about people being taken in :(

Boggles my mind...

• Sad
Reactions: Howard Simmons
When I'm in the mood and have a moment to spare, I talk with these scammers for a longer time, simulating ignorance.
But in the end I always have a good excuse, not to go into business with them.

All the time they talk to me, they cannot scam anyone else.
Also when it takes them so much time, the scamming will be less rewarding for them, I hope.
That is my philosophy....

Greetz,
A33
I do the same thing whenever I get one of these calls. I mostly get calls about car insurance or Medicare supplement plans. I don't have a car, and I am not on Medicare.

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrell
When will the FCC, FTC, Congress, anyone, get a handle on stopping this spoofing of numbers? It can't be technically that hard.

• Love
When will the FCC, FTC, Congress, anyone, get a handle on stopping this spoofing of numbers? It can't be technically that hard.
I thought they did. I thought the passed a law about it and Phone Companies were charged with installing software to stop spoofed and robocalls.

Or maybe it was just robocalls - which also haven't stopped

• Sad