Potential New Customer: Billing/Fee Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mgoblue99

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Hi. I'm thinking about switching from cable to either DirecTV or Dish. Can anyone help me determine what my monthly bill will actually look like with the following set-up? I don't want to sign up and then see extras and fees I wasn't expecting when I receive my first bill. Here is what I hope the set-up will be:

TV-1: HD DVR
TV-2: HD DVR
TV-3: standard receiver.

I plan on subscribing to the PLUS HD DVR programming package, the sports package, and the HD extra package (I believe the $9.99/month HD fee is already included in that package).

Please let me know what I should actually expect to see on my bill (not taking promotional pricing into account). I'm afraid of lease/receiver/phone line fees I'm not expecting.

Any help you can provide is GREATLY apprecaited.

Plus HD DVR $69.99
Sports Pack $12.00
HD Extra Pack $5.99
Lease Fee $4.99
Lease Fee $4.99

This should be what your bill will look like plus any local taxes. The DVR fee included in the Plus HD DVR package will cover all your DVRs (I believe with E* you pay for each). The Plus HD DVR package also includes 1 receiver free, so you'd have to pay the lease fee for the other 2. This is your monthly bill. Not sure what your startup costs would be.

Also, your locals would be included free too. I think you have to pay extra for them with E*.

Thanks. I just wish I could get this set-up without paying $500 for the two HD DVRs. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks. I just wish I could get this set-up without paying $500 for the two HD DVRs. Any ideas, anyone?

Do some searching on this forum... there are a TON of other threads talking about how to get deals on equipment. Honestly, though, not many people have had luck doing it as a new customer. It's usually through retention that existing customers get free upgrades...

Tell D* that E* is offering their HD DVR for free. That's what I did as an existing customer and I immediately got the $299 HR20 for only s/h $19.95. And D* is usually nicer to new subs than existing subs.

Tell D* that E* is offering their HD DVR for free. That's what I did as an existing customer and I immediately got the $299 HR20 for only s/h $19.95. And D* is usually nicer to new subs than existing subs.

I actually have to disagree, based on my experience and the various threads here on the topic. It's been much easier for existing customers to get free upgrades through retention than it has been for new customers to get a free upgrade up front.

But I would definitely mention the E* deal when you call and tell them you really don't want to pay for equipment if you don't have to... maybe they'll come through with something, although it will probably be some kind of programming credits to offset the cost of the receiver rather than waiving the lease upgrade fee completely.

Just tried and they basically stonewalled me. $299 per HD DVR, with a $100 credit off of one. No luck...

Just tried and they basically stonewalled me. $299 per HD DVR, with a $100 credit off of one. No luck...
Then it's time to play CSR roulette. Keep trying and you (hopefully) will get a good deal. Maybe build a system on E* site so you can have some real numbers to give the D* CSR instead of just talking in abstract terms.

Problem is that E* will only give me one free HD DVR. But if I can get D* to match, it would be better than the $100 off deal they're offering me now.

I asked about the "leased" nature of the boxes, and about any opportunity to cancel service if I don't like it after trying it out for a few weeks. He told me the cancellation policy is 3 days (!) and that even though I would be able to opt out of my contract and not pay the $20/month cancellation fee, I'd be out the nearly $500 on the boxes, and I'd still have to return them. Seems a little harsh, in my opinion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)