Potential new customer: questions...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thestaton

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
I have not called D* yet because I wanted to get some info here first. I'm afraid that once I call they'll hook, line & sinker me.

I am curious on how this new promotion that is offering the NFL Sunday Ticket is working. My understanding on the promotion is that instead of paying for the Premium lineup they are giving that to me for free, and instead I'm paying off the sunday ticket. Which is fine and dandy but that is only for 4 months.

So it's December now the promotion has ran out, & the sunday ticket is paid off. So now I'm still receiving the premium package w/ the premium payment I would assume. Is this something I'm locked into, for "x" amount of months or could I just call up and say hey my bill is crazy I just want the Choice package.

If I don't take any of there receivers do I still have to sign into a contract? Or is the only way to not get a contract is to buy everything myself, install it myself, & and then call in for the activation?

I put in my zipcode for the local channels in HD and they do not show up. I have a antenna up and I'm able to pick up CBS & NBC in HD. Can DTV offer me the national HD FOX & ABC channels? I think these cost $1.50? How does one going about getting them? Being that fall will be here before we know it HD Locals is a big deal.

Finally, what this talk about this satellite that's in orbit and this national HD 100 that is happening mid September? Is there any info or knowledge that supports it could be better to wait to get a better deal? Or is this kind of like technology you could wait forever if you want the latest & greatest?

Thanks for the help,

So now I'm still receiving the premium package w/ the premium payment I would assume. Is this something I'm locked into, for "x" amount of months or could I just call up and say hey my bill is crazy I just want the Choice package.
You call them and tell them that you want to downgrade (assuming that they don't do so on your behalf).
If I don't take any of there receivers do I still have to sign into a contract? Or is the only way to not get a contract is to buy everything myself, install it myself, & and then call in for the activation?
Not to worry! You will be under contract as part of the promotion. You have no choice but to take the receivers that they offer because they will be required to receive the HD content at some point in the not-to-distant future. You'll pay through the nose to get it any other way.
Can DTV offer me the national HD FOX & ABC channels? I think these cost $1.50?
IFF (If and only if) you can get waivers from your "local" Fox and ABC affiliates. Waivers can take many weeks or even months if you have to press the issue with the local station.
Is there any info or knowledge that supports it could be better to wait to get a better deal?
The NFL Sunday Ticket promotion is usually the best offer they give all year.

As for new hardware, it is likely that something will come along at least once a year. I would avoid getting into a new hardware platform until several months after its release. The development process has been a rocky one for the current crop of DIRECTV DVRs and it still isn't complete.

You call them and tell them that you want to downgrade (assuming that they don't do so on your behalf).Not to worry! You will be under contract as part of the promotion. You have no choice but to take the receivers that they offer because they will be required to receive the HD content at some point in the not-to-distant future. You'll pay through the nose to get it any other way.IFF (If and only if) you can get waivers from your "local" Fox and ABC affiliates. Waivers can take many weeks or even months if you have to press the issue with the local station.The NFL Sunday Ticket promotion is usually the best offer they give all year.

As for new hardware, it is likely that something will come along at least once a year. I would avoid getting into a new hardware platform until several months after its release. The development process has been a rocky one for the current crop of DIRECTV DVRs and it still isn't complete.

thestaton,
I agree with most of what Harshness said here with the exception to the local affiliates, YES you can get waviers sometimes and it's a pain to do, but, BEFORE you go that route :
Do you have access to them with an over the air antenna, I see you mentioned a few... IF you can go that route you will get the best picture currently with the OTA antenna in most cases and it's free.

Next: You did not happen to say where you are at , D* has a lot of local channels from about 60+ cities up and available in MPEG4 technology for a total of $ 5 p/m, I would check and see if you are in one of those cities before going the wavier route, waviers would be my last resort.

Jimbo

I would be needing the Lexington, KY locals in HD... I can pick up NBC & ABC but Fox & CBS are just a tad bit to far out of reach. I live about 35 miles east of the towers.

I would be needing the Lexington, KY locals in HD... I can pick up NBC & ABC but Fox & CBS are just a tad bit to far out of reach. I live about 35 miles east of the towers.

With the right equipment you should be able to pick up your OTA signals from 35 miles.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts