Potential new customer wanting two HD DVRs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

psychotrope

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
When I selected two HD DVRs on the DirecTV web site, it showed that the first one was free, and the second one was discounted to $99. Then each would be $5.00 per month with Choice Ultimate. I talked to a CSR who told me that as a new customer I could get both HD DVRs free as a free upgrade. I repeated that I was interested in two HD DVRs so she wouldn't think I meant one DVR and one HD receiver. Which one is correct? Can you really get two HD DVRs free as a new customer with whole-home HD+DVR service and Choice Ultimate?

Also, does each HD DVR have two outputs? I have three TVs (Two HD and one SD) in one room only that I need to feed. Would like one HD DVR to display two programs using PiP and the other DVR to feed the other HDTV and the SDTV. So four programs to record or watch at once. Would that work with two HD DVRs? I don't know the model numbers, I'm just going off of the web site. Thanks for any advice. I'm a Dish customer thinking of switching.

Not sure on the current deals, but $99 for the second is normal. Calling in will always get a better deal.

They have no PiP, and if you get a MRV install, you should get two HR24's. 4 tuners, so you can record 4 things at once, as well as watch one recorded show, at the same time, on each tv.

Each DVR is $5, then there is a $7 DVR service fee that covers the whole house. MRV is $3 per month.

These HR's can't separately feed a second tv like the ViP's can.

The first receiver is free, so it's $5.00 for the second receiver. $99.00 is the normal deal for the second HD-DVR.

Today is the last day for the current deal. I'm wondering what will be offered tomorrow.

Not sure on the current deals, but $99 for the second is normal. Calling in will always get a better deal.

They have no PiP, and if you get a MRV install, you should get two HR24's. 4 tuners, so you can record 4 things at once, as well as watch one recorded show, at the same time, on each tv.

Each DVR is $5, then there is a $7 DVR service fee that covers the whole house. MRV is $3 per month.

These HR's can't separately feed a second tv like the ViP's can.

Let me make sure I understand you. So it's one receiver to one tv with DirecTV's HD DVR and no PiP? So you can only watch one channel or recorded show at a time per DVR? That's a bummer. I'm used to running four games at once off of two DVRs (922 and 722).

I got a flyer that had the Free DVR and Free HD receiver (or a second DVR for $99) deal good through February 2011 so i doubt that deal will go away... I think the Free service for 5 months if you get the NFL Sunday Ticket deal ends tomorrow. I have been keeping my eyes on it as i am fed up with Dish and just waiting for the right time to jump to DirecTV. I too would be interested in two DVR's so if its really true that you can talk them into a free second DVR, that is good to know!

Elwaylite... I know technically these boxes arent supposed to feed a second TV via Coax like VIP's do.. but can you not just split the Coax out to go to a different TV? I know you would have to view the exact same content as is going out the HDMI out, but it still would allow the use of the second TV, correct? Then there is the remote... i was under the impression DirecTV's remotes worked through walls like Dish's. Is that not correct?

Actually D* IS doing an unadvertised special right now, where you CAN get a 2nd HD DVR for FREE. But, you DO have to also take MRV to get the special.

I saw this special on a dealer bulletin last week...so it is a legit offer the OP got.

but can you not just split the Coax out to go to a different TV?

No RF output on the HD receivers. The DVRs have RF remotes so you could run an HDMI cable to a second TV and run component cables to the TV where the receiver is.

I guess technically I could add an SD receiver (not a DVR) to feed my SD TV and then use two HD DVRs for my two HDTVs. Anyone know how much it costs to get a third receiver that's just an SD receiver? Also, is it easy to swap between the two feeds on a single DVR? For example, is there a "Swap" button on the remote so I can quickly switch between the two different channels being streamed to the same DVR?

SD receivers are free when you first sign up. I would get an HD receiver and install MRV so you can watch recorded programs from the HD-DVRs on that TV. I don't believe there is a SWAP button.

Elwaylite... I know technically these boxes arent supposed to feed a second TV via Coax like VIP's do.. but can you not just split the Coax out to go to a different TV? I know you would have to view the exact same content as is going out the HDMI out, but it still would allow the use of the second TV, correct? Then there is the remote... i was under the impression DirecTV's remotes worked through walls like Dish's. Is that not correct?
My SD tv in the bedroom is connected and mirrored to a H24 and a small HD set in another room. The installer provided me with an RF modulator connected to the Y/R/W outputs & ran an RG6 coax to the bedroom. He supplied me with an RF remote instead of the IR remote. I later purchased an additional RF remote so I could have a remote in both rooms. I do change the format button depending on which TV I am watching. These remotes work much better than the TV2 remote I had with the DISH 622. With another H24 in the garage and MRV, I can watch a recorded program on any of my 4 TV sets.

I have never seen a person get a second DVR free. It is not offered by the retailer I work with either. Not to say you could not some how get a 2nd one free if you talked to the right person at Direct, but I would not hold out much hope.

Yeah I ordered through a dealer. They did say that the $50 was to end today. Regardless I think I got a good deal because I expected to have to pay $100 for the second DVR.

You must of ordered from a dealer? I am a dealer, and thats the temp offer us dealers could offer customers, 1st hddvr free 2nd one at $50.00 that ended today for us though :(

Yes, I stand corrected - THIS was the offer that dealers could offer new subs.
Nonetheless, it's still a great deal - & in our market, (& all MPEG4 markets) they HAVE to use HD receivers for the standard (non-DVR) receivers, so you're still getting MRV on 4 sets, with 4 DVR tuners available. :)

So with "MRV" or "Whole-home DVR" you can watch programming on any DVR in the house on any other DVR in the house? I.e., if I have a DVR (DVR 1) in the bedroom and have recorded a show on it, I would be able to watch that show from DVR 1 on my living room DVR (DVR 2)? Or is "Whole-home DVR" only for streaming DVR content on computers and internet TVs?

You can watch programming that has been recorded on DVR1 from any other MRV capable DVR or receiver. If you only have an HDDVR (HR24, for example) and an HD Receiver (H24, for example), you can use the receiver to access programs you have recorded on the DVR. You can ALSO use a computer in your home to access DVR1 (or any other DVR using MRV) but my understanding is that the DVR can only STREAM 1 thing at a time. So you couldn't use the receiver to watch something off the DVR and also try to use a computer to watch something off that same DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts