Power Consumption of Dish Receivers

Hi, that looks about right for the Dish receiver. BTW - my FTA receivers draw less then 5 watts when turned off using the remote. It does take a couple of seconds for the FTA receivers to come back on, perhaps that's why the Dish receiver was designed to stay on all the time but is sure seems like a waste IMO. DC

It's a DVR, and has to stay on to record programming at any time.

While out might be possible to lower the consumption, it won't get down to a few watts.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

So I guess we are down to 50w * 24hr/d * 30d/mo *$.1/kwh = $3.60/month
While it could power down disk and electronics, would you want that and possibly miss a recording?
What is the difference in disk failure rate from cycling?
-Ken

It's a DVR, and has to stay on to record programming at any time.

While out might be possible to lower the consumption, it won't get down to a few watts.

Really, a CPU in standby mode running a timer should be drawing about 1W, everything else should be turned off. When it is time to record, the CPU turns on everything and you don't waste 50W 24/7.

Hi all, just had a thought on why the Dish receiver might need to be on all the time. One big difference between my FTA receivers and the Dish receiver is the Dish receiver is decoding an encrypted signal. The FTA receivers are not. The Dish receiver needs to get constant updates or it will not display the picture. Later, DC

So I guess we are down to 50w * 24hr/d * 30d/mo *$.1/kwh = $3.60/month
While it could power down disk and electronics, would you want that and possibly miss a recording?
What is the difference in disk failure rate from cycling?
-Ken

1 Kwh costs about 19,8 cents here and they want a raise.

Riah said:
Not a huge amount compared to what you pay dish per month to use it

So... let's do the math here...

Let's say for the sake of argument that the receiver draws 60watts and the average customer has 2 receivers.

120 watts X 24 hrs a day X 30 days a month = 86.4 kw a month @ 10c a kw = $8.64 a month or $103.68 a YEAR. I don't know about you but that's an ENTIRE month of dish service and then some in wasted power cost.... Big waste....

If our laptops were designed by the same engineers that designed these Satellite receivers, our laptops would have been dead 2.5 hours after we turned them "off"!
If your laptops were being used as DVRs, you could never turn them off.

Putting the hard drives to sleep doesn't help much as has been pointed out above and the end result may not be acceptable in a multiple tuner environment.

I must agree with most of you that E* DVRs are very inefficient when it comes to power consumption. Directv new DVR receivers on avearge only draw 24 W when on and 22 W when off. Some say that's because the new D* DVRs do not have an OTA tuner built in but how much power will the OTA tuner use? D* DVRs use half the power the E* DVRs use. And D* receivers are also on all the time for updates, timers, etc....

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/products/prod_lists/set_top_boxes_prod_list.pdf

...D* DVRs use half the power the E* DVRs use. ...
That would be for both the E* and D* boxes processing up to six signals simultaneously? (Simultaneously recording four signals while watching two different previously recorded events?)

I must agree with most of you that E* DVRs are very inefficient when it comes to power consumption. Directv new DVR receivers on avearge only draw 24 W when on and 22 W when off. Some say that's because the new D* DVRs do not have an OTA tuner built in but how much power will the OTA tuner use? D* DVRs use half the power the E* DVRs use. And D* receivers are also on all the time for updates, timers, etc....

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/products/prod_lists/set_top_boxes_prod_list.pdf

This is true DirecTV DVRs are Energy Star rated.I like to believe the reason for this is to help the DirecTV subscriber save money so they can afford the higher programming costs that comes with a DirecTV subscription?.:confused:;):D

For D*, this is what the PDF says for additional functionalities present, I don't know about E*:

"addtl. tuners, adv. video processing, DVR, HD, home network interface"

This is true DirecTV DVRs are Energy Star rated.I like to believe the reason for this is to help the DirecTV subscriber save money so they can afford the higher programming costs that comes with a DirecTV subscription?.:confused:;):D

LOL, at least for me when the promotions and credit ends, it will only be $5.00 more but that's a topic for another thread. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts