Power Consumption VIP722

bertherr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I have a VIP722 at my home that I only get to on weekends. I have been considering turning off the power to this during the week if I do not intend to record anything. I figure that I could extend the life of the receiver and not consume the electricity it uses for the fan, etc. by doing this.

Do you think this is a good or bad idea & why? Thanks, Bert

I have a VIP722 at my home that I only get to on weekends. I have been considering turning off the power to this during the week if I do not intend to record anything. I figure that I could extend the life of the receiver and not consume the electricity it uses for the fan, etc. by doing this.

Unless you disabled it, it will go into standby.
No need to do anything.

Bertherr,

The 722 will use almost the same amount of Electric whether on or in standby. If you unplug the receiver it will not be able to function properly.

John

Thanks. I was thinking of essentially unplugging it (turn off the surge protector). Bert

I was dissapointed to note that my 722 is pretty much on when on "standbye" that sucker is always warm and a fan on.
Think about how much power is consumed by these guys and other equipment that is pretty much just sitting there.
I for one would be willing to endure some sort of start up time in order to save on power consumpton.
Mike

Or we should be at least able to program in times that we want it "OFF" off. Like the 8 hours I am at work and during the middle of the night. But then between 4pm-Midnight let it be in standby mode so I can just flip it on real quick. Yes? No? Maybe?

I have a 'Kill-A-Watt' meter that measures the power consumed by an appliance. I plugged my new 722 in, and it consumes a steady 55 watts of power. Putting it in standby mode only drops power consumption 1 watt (to 54 watts).

Just for comparison, my new Sony 40" LCD consumes 220 watts...

Rick

Bertherr,

The 722 will use almost the same amount of Electric whether on or in standby. If you unplug the receiver it will not be able to function properly.

John

It uses less in standby. I saw the figures somewhere but dont remember how much less. Certainly uses a fair amout even in standby.

I have a 'Kill-A-Watt' meter that measures the power consumed by an appliance. I plugged my new 722 in, and it consumes a steady 55 watts of power. Putting it in standby mode only drops power consumption 1 watt (to 54 watts).

Rick

Rick, does the Sony pull any power when off?

That's not bad on the 722 when running, I thought someone (awhile back) had computed what a 622 drew and it seemed like it was more than 55 watts, so maybe the 722 is more energy effecient?

Rick

That's horrible! My 46" Samsung LCD only consumes 113W. Have you tried playing around with the power saving modes?

Ted

This reminds me of a different subject. Can you believe, computer companies are making 1200 watt + power supplies? They have the exact same number of connections, as a typical power supply but just offer 1200 watts!

Who NEEDS that much electric and is not running a network?

As for my 2 cents about this topic, Get an electric meter, research the device when its off and on, and how much it takes to power it. You'll find, its almost the same READING. And We aren't talking much at all.

JEEZ, find something better to do with your TIME!

That's horrible! My 46" Samsung LCD only consumes 113W. Have you tried playing around with the power saving modes?

I've got them all disabled right now. Still playing with all of the settings to see what I like. I'll experiment with the power saving once I get the display where I like it.

I thought someone (awhile back) had computed what a 622 drew and it seemed like it was more than 55 watts, so maybe the 722 is more energy effecient?

In my experience (with my cheap little meter), the marked power consumption of an appliance seldom comes close to reality. Generally, the measured consumption is less than the label would lead you to believe. Markings generally reflect absolute maximums that the power supply can deliver.

On the other hand, it's the things you think aren't drawing any power that can sneak up on you. All of those power 'bricks' you leave plugged in draw significant current, even when not attached to their device.

This reminds me of a different subject. Can you believe, computer companies are making 1200 watt + power supplies? They have the exact same number of connections, as a typical power supply but just offer 1200 watts!

As for my 2 cents about this topic, Get an electric meter, research the device when its off and on, and how much it takes to power it. You'll find, its almost the same READING. And We aren't talking much at all.

Exactly, but for you :p.

Those PSU (1000+ W) doesn't taking the power from your outlet - it is POTENTIAL MAX power for feed DEVICES/PARTS in your computer.
Keep reading.

Ted

I did some more monitoring. The Sony draws the 220 watts when it's cold. As it warms up the draw drops back to around 100 watts. I'm just guessing, but perhaps the backlight CCFLs draw more power until they get up to operating temps.

I did some more monitoring. The Sony draws the 220 watts when it's cold. As it warms up the draw drops back to around 100 watts. I'm just guessing, but perhaps the backlight CCFLs draw more power until they get up to operating temps.

That sounds about right.

Well, it only draws in the amount of power it needs. 1200W is the maximum supported

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)