Power Consumption VIP722

Hi Smith, P. I thought they were covering the 622, not the 722, my mistake I was wrong, and I`ll stay off this thread. I also wanted to thank all the guys that helped me and I don`t feel that was a mistake by including it in this thread. Skip

Well, my marginal electric rate is $.354 per Kwh. So that's $.354*55W*24*7*52/1000 = $170 per year to run my VIP722!@!#

Sure, there may be reasons why it helps to have VIP722 run constantly, but they could at least consider lower power processors and chips or more efficient power management for a device that is constantly on. Yes it is heating my living room, but there are much more efficient ways to heat areas of the house at times I need them heated.

I've even considered swapping the 500GB 3.5" harddrive with a more efficient 500GB 2.5" laptop harddrive. That in itself would probably drop power usage down to 45W. But I haven't seen any information about it, so my guess is that it probably can not be done as Dishnetwork probably has some approved list of devices.

Well, my marginal electric rate is $.354 per Kwh. So that's $.354*55W*24*7*52/1000 = $170 per year to run my VIP722!@!#
Nanafan: That rate is higher that Hawaii's rate which is the highest in the country. You might want to double-check that. The average rate for CA in kwh charges is about 14-15 cents. Which would put your total at just under $5.70 per month.

Check out these two sites for my source:
(http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html or ftp://ftp.cpuc.ca.gov/puc/energy/el...fs/cpuc01_276345_electric_rates_2000-2007.pps).

Maybe you are pulling incorrect numbers, getting ripped off, or maybe I don't understand.

Sure, there may be reasons why it helps to have VIP722 run constantly, but they could at least consider lower power processors and chips or more efficient power management for a device that is constantly on. Yes it is heating my living room, but there are much more efficient ways to heat areas of the house at times I need them heated.
Actually electric heat is about the most effecient heat source - but I doubt that's what you are getting at. :)

I've even considered swapping the 500GB 3.5" harddrive with a more efficient 500GB 2.5" laptop harddrive. That in itself would probably drop power usage down to 45W. But I haven't seen any information about it, so my guess is that it probably can not be done as Dishnetwork probably has some approved list of devices
Unless you own it, don't go there. And even if you do, that would only save you about $13/year - which would take about 7 years to pay for itself since they are around $100.

Last edited:

Nanafan,

35 cents per kwh, sounds outrageously high. According to the Federal Government's Agency that monitors Electric rates (Energy Information Administration) the highest electric rates in the entire country are in Alaska and Hawaii. Hawaii has the highest rate at 33 cents per kwh. The Conus Highest rates are in the New England rates topping out at 17 cents Kwh. The total National Average including Alaska and Hawaii is just under 10 cents Kwh (9.73).

This link will allow you to check my numbers, http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html

John

I don't worry about the power usage of my dish units because I conserve elsewhere. All of my TVs and appliances are Energy star. Also, I swapped out all of the light bulbs in my house with CFLs. I also have programable thermostats and basically shut the house off when I am away.

Just swapping the lights (cieling flood) in my family room saved about 10x the power used by the dish unit. ( 10 x 75w replaced by 10 x 13w CFL)

Just a thought... :)

VIP722

Well, the tiered rates in my area are 11 cents for the first X Kwh, 13 cents for the next Y Kwh, 24 cents, and 34 cents and we are at the 34 cent marginal rate. There might be even higher marginal rates. We already have all CFLs. We have two sump pumps in the subfloor though that we pretty much have to run all year, so our effective electricity rate is 34 cents/Kwh.

BTW, does anyone know what hard drives are approved for usage in the VIP722? Are any of the WD Green Power drives approved? Thanks.

Nanafan,

35 cents per kwh, sounds outrageously high. According to the Federal Government's Agency that monitors Electric rates (Energy Information Administration) the highest electric rates in the entire country are in Alaska and Hawaii. Hawaii has the highest rate at 33 cents per kwh. The Conus Highest rates are in the New England rates topping out at 17 cents Kwh. The total National Average including Alaska and Hawaii is just under 10 cents Kwh (9.73).

John

I'm unaware of anyone successfully changing the physical hard drive inside a 622/722 platform machine. You can do it in a 522/625, but not a 722. The disk inside a DVR is typically server-grade (I've never even looked at my 722), and you'd probably be radically compromising it's reliability by using a desktop/laptop disk. What you buy at CompUSA or Best Buy is not designed to operate 24/7; the DVR disk is.

As for the HD, I don't think you can open the case to change it. I guess you could go with a 211 and add an external HD.
I missed that suggestion, but it's excellent...as long as a 211 has enough tuners for you.

PS - Anybody got one of those cool auto-sensing master/slave power strips yet? Be nice to kill power to the printer, scanner, TV, and DVD recorder when I turn off the backlighting lamp. ;)

Last edited:
34 c pe kW/h is corret

You people forgetting that the rate that you see on you electric bill is for electricity not for delivery and all the fees. So now look on you bill check what is total and divide that by number of kw of energy that you used.
Here in NYC it is around 30c per KW/h total (with delivery cost and all other fees), where the bill saying that it is just 18c KW/h.
My old dual SD receiver (322) use around 30W/h. When I realize that I put power strip and connect TV and sat receiver... and turning them down when I going sleep around 11pm. It is usually not turn on until 6PM.
The design of Dish receiver are significantly outdated

You people forgetting that the rate that you see on you electric bill is for electricity not for delivery and all the fees. So now look on you bill check what is total and divide that by number of kw of energy that you used.
Here in NYC it is around 30c per KW/h total (with delivery cost and all other fees), where the bill saying that it is just 18c KW/h.
My old dual SD receiver (322) use around 30W/h. When I realize that I put power strip and connect TV and sat receiver... and turning them down when I going sleep around 11pm. It is usually not turn on until 6PM.
The design of Dish receiver are significantly outdated
And how exactly do you expect the DVR to record if it is not on? I don't see that as outdated at all. People that worry so much about their power bill this much just need to find something more important to keep them busy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts