Power off at at night? Will I lose channels in memory?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TiminMb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 10, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Can I turn the rear power switch off at night on my Fortec Ultra? Or will the memory lose the channels? Sorry for such a stupid question, but the manual doesn't describe this feature and what the consequences might be.

I turn mine off with the switch sometimes at night and the channels / Satellite positions are still there next day!

With my Digiwave, if I turn off the power switch on the back, I loose the time setting. When I turn it back on, I have to re-enter the clock settings. The channel setting remain fine.

Most receivers have PROM memory. Programable Read Only Memory. Means that the memory chip inside should retain all settings if the power is cut off. Some don't save the time because the clock is a chip that counts and is seperate from the PROM memory that holds your satellite settings. When you set the clock on the counter chip, your telling the counter where to start.... When you set your satellite settings your re-programming your PROM chip.... Each time you add/delete to/from the infromation the PROM chip is pretty much being reprogramed.

The way this stuff works is really close to how it works on a computer.

Like any electronic component, heat is generated during use. I would not be overally concerned unless it resides in a poorly ventilated area. If that's the case, improve ventilation but there is no need to turn off every night.

I think if each time you need to power on and off the receiver, you will shorten the receiver life. Any receiver should has the standby mode.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)