Powering LNB's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stecle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Between the North and South Pole
I am using a Manhattan RS-1933 STB with a California Amplifier C/Ku feedhorn on my 10 foot dish. I am thinking that the Norsat LNB's that I am using were never meant to be used with an FTA receiver like the Manhattan which switches the LNB voltage from 13-18 volts based on polarity.

Should I be using an external power supply to maintain a constant 18 volts to the LNB? If yes, what would be the most effective way to accomplish this? I am using an old Drake 1224 analog receiver to change the polarity.

Thanks

Correct! LNBs do not perform well powered with 13Vdc. In fact, some LNBs will not function on 13Vdc. Powering the LNB with 18Vdc will increase performance on vertical channels. This is one reason that we built in a fixed 18Vdc option, while providing automatic servo polarity positioning in the ASC1 controller.

Here are a few options to power the LNB:

1. Set the RS-1933 LNB Power selection to 18V.

2. Use the Drake to power the LNB. Use a 2 way 2.3GHz splitter / one port power passing with the power leg connected to the Drake.

Correct! LNBs do not perform well powered with 13Vdc. In fact, some LNBs will not function on 13Vdc. Powering the LNB with 18Vdc will increase performance on vertical channels. This is one reason that we built in a fixed 18Vdc option, while providing automatic servo polarity positioning in the ASC1 controller.

Here are a few options to power the LNB:

1. Set the RS-1933 LNB Power selection to 18V.

2. Use the Drake to power the LNB. Use a 2 way 2.3GHz splitter / one port power passing with the power leg connected to the Drake.

Thanks for the great information Brian! Can you recommend a high quality 2.3GHz splitter?

No recommendation, but be sure that the switch is marked for voltage flow to one port (not all ports) and rated for at least 2.3GHz (or higher). The splitter is technically referred to as a 2x1 1PPP (One Port Power Passing).

Reactions: stecle
I do the same thing, using my 2710R to move the dish and change polarity, and provide full LNB power.

I use a more common power pass splitter, then use a DC voltage block coupler to separate the voltage from the FTA box. One splitter and voltage block coupler for each LNB.

Reactions: stecle
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)