PPV smart card updates?

Dodge Ram Nut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Mizzourah
Ive been with Dish for 8 years. In the last 4(?) years...I've gone cell phone and no landline phones. Which is great..saves me a tonna money. I've ALWAYS ordered my PPV through the internet, and I've always paid when I get my bill. I've always checked my purchase history and it shows what movies I bought..then after a week or two..they go away or disappear (after I pay my bill of course). Perfect. Never a problem.

Now recently..I've noticed that the movies I've purchased in the last 4 months (I dont watch THAT MUCH PPV) is still "stuck" on the purchase history even tho I've paid my bill and all the PPV channels are in the red color now. (About 8 movies are stuck) I called Dish and explained to them that I have always purchased my movies in the internet and it disappears after a couple of weeks. They said I MUST have a land-line phone in order to order PPV. I tried explaining to them what I've done for the last 4 years and it works great this way. They tried to tell me BULL..its never been done that way. I started thinking this was a new 1st day Techie guy who didnt have a clue what beans in the bean bag were. He said I have to connect to a land line to update my smartcard to clear out all my purchases in which all the PPV channels will go out of the red and I probably will be double charged and at that point I would hafta call Dish and resolve the double charge issue. I pretty much flew off the handle there.
Techie said I hafta keep a land line phone connected at ALL TIMES even tho I claim I order my ppv thru the internet. AAAACCCKK! Its safe to say I pretty much gave him the click. Any one help me? I dont unerstand this. After 4 years of doing it this way...is it now "catching up with me?" I have 2 501's and a 301 so I watch my movies on any/all of them throughout the house.

If it is ABSOLUTELY NECCRESSARY to hook up a land line..I GUESS I could go over across the street and have a beer with my neighbor and ask to borrow their phone line...bring my small 13 incher tv...and bring all my recievers and update em..but geez..what a hassle!!

Help? suggestions!! TIA!!

Hooking up to neighbor's phone is big mistake, Audit dept will pick it up and shut you off for no reason, and you cannot get them to download immediately just because a phone line is hooked up. Plus, even with phone line hooked up, purchases stay on the history for a couple of months anyway.

The guy you talked to is full of s**t. You don't have to have the phone line connected to order pay per views over the internet. And even if you do have a phone line hooked up the purchases will still show up for awhile after. I still have purchases from back in January that are still on the receiver. I have paid for them months ago and I have a phone line hooked up 24/7.

Besides keeping a copy of your bills to show you've paid.

Go to Radio Shack and get enough phone cords to run to the neighbors,
Log onto your Dish account on the internet.
Change your phone number.
Log out.
Connect the receivers to the phone line.
Dial in and clear your receivers.
Remove the phone line and let traffic pass.
Log back in and change your phone number.
Log out.
:) :)

Maybe it's because I only have one receiver at each account, but each receiver is linked to a different cell phone number and I've never had any problems. Usually I have my primary account hooked up to a regular landline number and it has dialed in, but still no hassels.

So you guys basically are telling me to leave everything well enough alone? What happens if the reciever hits it's credit limit on it? What then? Or will it just keep adding to the purchase history until the reciever is smart enuf to delete the OLD purchases?? If it will just keep adding to the purchase history and it wont affect me anything whatsoever, then i'll leave things be. Im just "concerned" that I will rack up tooo much movies over a great deal of time...follow me? Thanks again guys...keep em coming. Im open to ideas/suggestions!!:D

dish has gotten overly serious about receivers being used outside your home. in some ways i cannot blame them if we all had four receiver gave 2 to a friend you each have service at half price. even if dish has 10% doing this it adds up quickly! what i cannot stand is there rudeness and out right LIES!!!! there not that dum. even a moron after 8hrs a day can figure out the normal stuff. i say never ever hook up to another phone line ever! keep doing as you were. if it does prevent you from ordering later then i really don't know what to advise. i very rarely order pay-per-view. i unplug ed my phone lines long ago!!!! my account is a cell phone also. i hate rules i hate being told what to do. maybe we should all disconnect the phone lines! there only used for pay-per-view updating. and this new vod i have not yet used.

OK here's the deal...Charlie said years ago that you could take the card, put it in a neighbor's receiver and download PPV.

Also, as far as the audit people. So what? They call, you read the numbers, done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)