Oct 23, 2003
Tulsa, OK
I would like to hear from any of you that have both HDTivo and Voom
about which yields the best PQ and which connection method, DVI/HDMI or
component.
All input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin

I only had it for one day but the HD Tivo was far better than Voom via component video. The reason being the PQ on Voom is poor in general and good on DirecTV in general. If you want my honest opinion I'd wait out past Christmas to see what you really want ...

There are many battles in the war, today and here and now. D* and the HD Tivo far outperform Voom.

zmwp01 said:
I would like to hear from any of you that have both HDTivo and Voom
about which yields the best PQ and which connection method, DVI/HDMI or
component.
All input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin

Voom has much better PQ than DirecTV on their HD channels. Voom's SD channels are of a less PQ. But, the reason to purchase a HDTivo is to record in HD. So, when you record in HD on a HDTivo the PQ will be the same as watching the PQ directly from DirectTV. Since Voom does not have a HD PVR, there is no way to compare the two. The other problem is one will spend big bucks for the HDTivo, yet DirecTV has so little HD programming to record (HD Net and HDMovies are very poor in content). Can't wait for the Voom HD recorder. DVI/HDMI, of course, is the way to go if you have the connection.

andrzej said:
slacker, you canceled your Voom subscription, didn't you?
Yup, with 6 free weeks of VaVaVoom remaining ... that is how bad the PQ is. This is verses the 7 YEARS I have had DirecTV.

I also agree with keno ... hard to compare what Voom doesn't have and will not likely produce in 2004.

Oh one more thing! If you are in a metro area that has a decent selection of OTA channels (NBC, CBS, etc) an HD Tivo will also record these, which from my readings across many, many forums is what most are watching in HD anyway.

DirecTV's full time HD lineup DOES STINK currently but has Discovery HD, HBO HD and SHO HD. The lineup will get better but not until about this time next year. Unless you are a football fan ... The NFL Sunday Ticket (D* only) will have 100 live NFL HD broadcasts this season, PLUS what you can pull over OTA. Voom is the King of HD but the PQ will kill you, I got it mostly for StarZHD which was breaking up ALL THE TIME.

If you buy an HD DVR from anyone for any service it will cost you out the nose until 2006, that is why I returned mine ... too much money too little quality programming.

Well, here's my opinion. I had both hooked up to a 56" DLP vizio TV using componant. I compared shows on TDCHD and ESPNHD. It was VERY close, but I give the SLIGHT edge to D* and the HDTivo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)