PQ improving on Starz & HBO????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
slacker9876 said:
wow we actually caught directv in a lil thruster action ... this kicks ass! i am still seeing D8 at 103.48 ...
:bounce :haha :clap @party This is the coolest! I'm gonna get friggin fired for spending the day watching this thread! LOL We are seeing D* change before our very eyes!!! Damn, now bring forth the new boxes, lest we taunt ye from the watchtowers! :p

The latest word I've got is that spaceway is having a little bug and they are trying to get it under control. Right now this isn't good. I think you know what this bug is.

I just don't like the sound of my contacts voice right now.

Edit...right now D* doesn't have control over the satellite. They need to activate the truster to move the satellite back towards 101 and its not working. As of right now its slowly moving further and further away from 101 and will keep doing so until they can activate the truster. This isn't good news in anyway shape or form.

slacker9876 said:
Now at 110.39 man this bird is all over the place ... seems almost odd to me that it is moving so quickly.

Neither DirecTV-8 or SpaceWay-1 is in geostationary orbit yet, and they have been moving like that for a while now. It's confusing, but nothing new.

Read this thread for some discussion regarding SpaceWay-1 and DirecTV-8's behavior.

~Alan

do they have microsoft windows software for their guidance software? :)

all kidding aside, what kind of bug? I have no clue what you are talking about.

Scott

EDIT: Never mind you posted a reply why I was typing

LonghornXP said:
The latest word I've got is that spaceway is having a little bug and they are trying to get it under control. Right now this isn't good. I think you know what this bug is.

I just don't like the sound of my contacts voice right now.

Edit...right now D* doesn't have control over the satellite. They need to activate the truster to move the satellite back towards 101 and its not working. As of right now its slowly moving further and further away from 101 and will keep doing so until they can activate the truster. This isn't good news in anyway shape or form.

who does have control?

vurbano said:
IF it cant get or stay in orbit then it is useless.

That thought occured to me a few times. The reason that this website is keeping such updated tracks is because the Air Force is updating it on behalf of D*. Right now tracking is pretty much live or very close to it. I'm trying to get a hold of a few people at MacDill AFB and ask them what is going on. MacDill is one of the major AFB stations in the world so they might be tracking it and if not they will surely have someone that knows about it.

vurbano said:
IF it cant get or stay in orbit then it is useless.

DirecTV-8 was stationary (I believe) at both 102.8 and 99 for a day or two, but has not gone to 101 full time (I believe) yet.

SpaceWay-1 has not yet stayed in a spot, though some people believe it to not be an issue yet.

~Alan

LonghornXP said:
That thought occured to me a few times. The reason that this website is keeping such updated tracks is because the Air Force is updating it on behalf of D*.

Actually, "The US AirForce provides most of the tracking data for satellite positions and they only update the actual location every fews days to once a week in general. The rest of the time they just extrapolate its location based on the last orbit (ie assuming no engine burns).

So sometimes it appears a sat will drift past it location, then when the next real data is available it will snap into position. "

If you will look on the SpaceWay satellite tracker at Lyngsat.com, it says its position was last updated on June 24, 2005.

~Alan

upconductor said:
do they have microsoft windows software for their guidance software? :)

all kidding aside, what kind of bug? I have no clue what you are talking about.

Scott

EDIT: Never mind you posted a reply why I was typing
WOO HOO! Someone should pop this quip off to Mr Gates.

Satellites do move but 4 degrees in one day is a little odd especially when it is moving two different ways! I am sure that ground control will reign her in quickly. Not like they read this thread to realize they have a problem.

I still must say it was pretty cool watching that birdie swing around the sky!

Oh man... I thought all this activity was signaling good news. Does the loss of control of these birds shoot holes in our projections? And even so, I thought folks were saying that the percieved increase in PQ was due to D*8 lighting up?

vurbano said:
SO basically Spaceway1 is hurdling around the earth out of control. Way to go D*

Actually, unless someone knows something we don't, there doesn't appear to be an issue. I guess we will find out...

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
Actually, unless someone knows something we don't, there doesn't appear to be an issue. I guess we will find out...

~Alan

heres your answer:

LonghornXP said:

thats an issue

Boeing is working to push an update to the spaceway satellite from the closest satellite to spaceway 1. They are going to try and wipes spaceway 1s operations code and software and replace it with just basic core operations software to try and gain control of it. They don't think the satellite hardware itself is the problem but that the software and operations code somehow got corrupeted. Now the good side of this issue is that its life isn't being reduced and at worst case they could thrust it back around to conserve its usage but that might take 6 months to get around orbit. To move it back againsts orbit would require contact trusting and that would greatly reduce the life of the satellite. If they can get control of it within the next day or so they can avoid that long haul around orbit.

Oh why can't my contacts at MacDill call me back quicker.

Status
Please reply by conversation.