PQ...On demand SD vs SD channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mark40511

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Lexington KY
I downloaded an SD on demand A&E Intervention episode. The on demand SD PQ was MUCH better than the SD channels PQ!

Yeah I noticed the same thing. Bandwith contrary to popular belief, so DTV can get away with a standard compression since it just going on a server some where vs it being part of a satellite stream.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. Bandwith contrary to popular belief, so DTV can get away with a standard compression since it just going on a server some where vs it being part of a satellite stream.

Dude just cancel your D* service... The FCC regulates how much bandwidth D* can transmit, so in order to get all these channels you demand they have to compress to a point that their engineers feel is an acceptable picture quality vs channel availability per transponder. Over the internet, they dont have to follow FCC regulations on bandwidth, plus they are only sending what you request 1 at a time vs transmitting hundreds of channels within a max number bandwidth cap.

TBH its a useless cap, just like the FCC regulating dial up to 56kbs, the lines can obviously handle more.

TBH its a useless cap, just like the FCC regulating dial up to 56kbs, the lines can obviously handle more.

That's not really an accurate statement - how much bandwidth can an analog phone line transmit? If I remember, last time I had dial-up (about 8 years ago) My 56k modem never went above about 41kbps, and that was 1 in 100. Most of the time i got 33.6

That's not really an accurate statement - how much bandwidth can an analog phone line transmit? If I remember, last time I had dial-up (about 8 years ago) My 56k modem never went above about 41kbps, and that was 1 in 100. Most of the time i got 33.6

That all depends on how your sending it.
High Speed Internet is ran in many cases on the same copper line that the old Dial Up was run on.

Jimbo

That all depends on how your sending it.
High Speed Internet is ran in many cases on the same copper line that the old Dial Up was run on.

Jimbo

Right, I have DSL on the same copper line that I have voice on, and before we had this we had dial-up. I thought high speed (dsl) uses much more frequency range than analog dial-up did? maybe i'm confused again

DSL (VDSL) typically works by dividing the frequencies used in a single phone line into two primary "bands". The ISP data is carried over the high-frequency band (25 kHz and above) whereas the voice is carried over the lower-frequency band (4 kHz and below). (See the ADSL article on how the high-frequency band is subdivided.) The user typically installs a DSL filter on each phone. This filters out the high frequencies from the phone line, so that the phone only sends or receives the lower frequencies (the human voice). The DSL modem and the normal telephone equipment can be used simultaneously on the line without interference from each other.

I'll say no more, as this forum likes defending people wh0o have no clue what their talking about.

Dude just cancel your D* service... The FCC regulates how much bandwidth D* can transmit, so in order to get all these channels you demand they have to compress to a point that their engineers feel is an acceptable picture quality vs channel availability per transponder. Over the internet, they dont have to follow FCC regulations on bandwidth, plus they are only sending what you request 1 at a time vs transmitting hundreds of channels within a max number bandwidth cap.

OMG get a life!

I was commenting on while Comcast and Qwest and other want you to believe that internet bandwith is so expensive while in reality it is cheap. So what I was saying while dtv has limited resources in terms of satellites as does matter who you are you can only cram so many channel on a single satellite before having to launch another, the internet is a realitive cheap and boundless resource so less compression has to go on.

Bottom line its cheaper to add servers and pay for a bigger backbone then it to launch another bird which gives direct tv more options in PQ vs there bandwith limitations on there satellites.

I think the limit was ~53kb.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts