sound of music problem/abc problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

direc248

Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Philadelphia
I live in Philadelphia, TV ABC6. Sound of Music movie was broadcast last night on ABC network, on 12/28/08. The broadcast here (as shown by DirecTV) was not right--the picture on the screen 'cut off' the sides of the film and broadcast--including part of the little abc logo on the bottom corner of the picture. The cable company (Comcast) got it right with the correct broadcast ratio, but DirecTV got it wrong. It seemed what they did was take the middle of the picture of a 16:9 (or whatever ratio), blew it up to fit the top-bottom of the screen, and left the sides in the wind.

The interesting thing, though, is that all other broadcasts on CBS, NBC, TNT, etc were correct and the commercials on ABC were correctly sized, even with the little black bars on top and bottom of the screen for letterbox.

Therefore, I lost about 20-30% of the visualized picture. I called D* to complain and question them, and they claimed that it was not them. They had no idea what I was talking about. They said it was ABC and that I should call them. I told them the cable company was broadcasting a complete picture, and that my settings for D* were set for 4:3 TV and not to enlarge the picture (in the DirecTV settings on my box), and the DirecTV customer support was useless.

Anyone have similar problems and how do you solve them? I have noticed this come up from time to time in ABC only.

I live in Philadelphia, TV ABC6. Sound of Music movie was broadcast last night on ABC network, on 12/28/08. The broadcast here (as shown by DirecTV) was not right--the picture on the screen 'cut off' the sides of the film and broadcast--including part of the little abc logo on the bottom corner of the picture. The cable company (Comcast) got it right with the correct broadcast ratio, but DirecTV got it wrong. It seemed what they did was take the middle of the picture of a 16:9 (or whatever ratio), blew it up to fit the top-bottom of the screen, and left the sides in the wind.

The interesting thing, though, is that all other broadcasts on CBS, NBC, TNT, etc were correct and the commercials on ABC were correctly sized, even with the little black bars on top and bottom of the screen for letterbox.

Therefore, I lost about 20-30% of the visualized picture. I called D* to complain and question them, and they claimed that it was not them. They had no idea what I was talking about. They said it was ABC and that I should call them. I told them the cable company was broadcasting a complete picture, and that my settings for D* were set for 4:3 TV and not to enlarge the picture (in the DirecTV settings on my box), and the DirecTV customer support was useless.

Anyone have similar problems and how do you solve them? I have noticed this come up from time to time in ABC only.

I watched part of it last night and it looked great :)
No problems at all.

I live in Philadelphia, TV ABC6. Sound of Music movie was broadcast last night on ABC network, on 12/28/08. The broadcast here (as shown by DirecTV) was not right--the picture on the screen 'cut off' the sides of the film and broadcast--including part of the little abc logo on the bottom corner of the picture.

You didn't accidentally hit the zoom button on your TV, or the "format" button on the D* remote? That's what it sounds like to me.

I thought the picture looked like ABC had used a low-resolution source. It is fairly old and possibly the only available prints aren't of the best quality.

Then how do you explain the wonderfully restored version that Fox put out on DVD a few years ago. Are you suggesting that DVD purchasers get better quality "prints" than a major TV network?

Then how do you explain the wonderfully restored version that Fox put out on DVD a few years ago. Are you suggesting that DVD purchasers get better quality "prints" than a major TV network?

Having worked for many years in television programming, I can assure you that sometimes they do. Just because a newer version comes out it doesn't mean the older one will be withdrawn. Many times, the distributor will sit on the newer version until the current contracts are about to expire and then put the new version up for bid as a way to increase the licensing fee.

As for ABC's broadcast of THE SOUND OF MUSIC, my wife and I watched it (don't ask me why, I have the restored DVD sitting on the shelf 6 feet away) and I didn't notice any problem. We were watching the ABC station in Syracuse, NY.

sound of music

Well, I don't have a zoom function on my remote. I have 2 direcTV boxes on two different 4:3 TVs, and on both TVs, the picture was not right. Incidentally, last night, Pirates of the Carribean had the same problem, but again, not the commercials, not the news or local broadcast, and not on cable. Interestingly, on the local cable, at 9 PM, the little abc icon in the corner had a channel 6 icon next to it appear over it (for station ID, I guess), and on the dish, that did not appear. It makes me wonder where the directv folks are getting their signal. also makes me wonder what will happen if there is local breaking news and how I'd get it.

My boxes are somewhat old boxes--one is a 9 year old RCA box and one is a 4.5 year old RCA box--with Tivo built in. They have menu functions where I can indicate what size TV I Have (4:3 or 16:9); if I choose 4:3, i can then choose whether I want the picture "zoomed up" or "shrink to fit"--and I choose "shrink to fit, letterbox" or whatever.

I hope that football games don't have this because if it does, direcTV will be getting exited from my house.

Anyone else in the Phila market out there?

And by the way, the ABC broadcast has nothing to do with low res or high res--it is actually cutting off part of the picture vs not cutting it off. It could be hand drawn black and white 1950s footage, and the problem would be the same.

And another--you watched Sound of Music because you, like me, are a sap and love that good old movie. It is a wonderful movie, despite the sappiness.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)