Pre-Amp voltage on RV Antenna

Tvland1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
ohio
The amplified OTA antenna that's on my RV is pretty much useless unless I'm camping in Walmart parking lot..I currently have a 30ft flagpole mounted on the rear that I'm upgrading to a Rohn 9h50 telescopic mast and want to add a decent lightweight antenna with a Pre-Amp..I would like to use the current booster power switch that's in the camper but I'm not sure what pre-amps will work with 12volt power..I know the CM-7777and 78 use 15volt..Winegard is 5volt power supply..Will the Channel Master work with 12.8 volts?Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20190609_151153695_BURST001~3.jpg
    IMG_20190609_151153695_BURST001~3.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 255
The amplified OTA antenna that's on my RV is pretty much useless unless I'm camping in Walmart parking lot..I currently have a 30ft flagpole mounted on the rear that I'm upgrading to a Rohn 9h50 telescopic mast and want to add a decent lightweight antenna with a Pre-Amp..I would like to use the current booster power switch that's in the camper but I'm not sure what pre-amps will work with 12volt power..I know the CM-7777and 78 use 15volt..Winegard is 5volt power supply..Will the Channel Master work with 12.8 volts?Any ideas?

Here is a link to an old troubleshooting page for the CM7777 from the Channel Master site that has been saved on the Wayback Machine.

Step 8 states that as long as the voltage is above 12VDC it should work. Of course there are many variables such as length of coax run, lower input voltage may reduce efficiency, etc.

And here is a link to the current page from their site which states the CM7777s are now shipping with 12 VDC power supplies.

So it really depends on how old your unit is. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it in your situation and see. If it is the older model you could also try stepping up the voltage to the expected 15 VDC with something like this if it won't work properly with straight vehicle power. :)

Amazon product ASIN B00J03PBW0

The Winegard Preamp comes with a USB style power connector. The draw of 135 ma is well within the limits of the USB standard. Any good 12 volt To USB adapter should work fine.

And here is a link to the current page from their site which states the CM7777s are now shipping with 12 VDC power supplies.
When I searched for the power supply on CM7777 it shows the replacement as a 15volt.. Good to know that they are using the 12volt..I actually was at Menard's today picking up some antifreeze and found they had the RCA TVPRAMP12E for $25 and it's 12volt inserter... I'm thinking that I should be able to put the amp at the antenna and unhook the coax at the factory antenna on the roof I won't be using and add cable from there to the new amp and antenna.Then I will still have the original Booster power switch..I'll give it a try and see how it works once I get the mast..I also have 2 of the Little Orby OTA antennas that are very lightweight so I'm going to try them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200929-150007.png
    Screenshot_20200929-150007.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: FTA4PA
When I searched for the power supply on CM7777 it shows the replacement as a 15volt.. Good to know that they are using the 12volt..I actually was at Menard's today picking up some antifreeze and found they had the RCA TVPRAMP12E for $25 and it's 12volt inserter... I'm thinking that I should be able to put the amp at the antenna and unhook the coax at the factory antenna on the roof I won't be using and add cable from there to the new amp and antenna.Then I will still have the original Booster power switch..I'll give it a try and see how it works once I get the mast..I also have 2 of the Little Orby OTA antennas that are very lightweight so I'm going to try them
I use the RCA TVPRAMP12Z model with separate VHF/UHF inputs and it works very well for our home antenna setup. I believe the only difference is the E has a combined VHF/UHF input so it should work fine too. :)

Reactions: Tvland1
believe the only difference is the E has a combined VHF/UHF input so it should work fine too
I didn't really pay much attention to that until now..The one I got was the TVPREAMP1E..It also has the separate VHF and UHF inputs..The ad shows 12E model.They had 3 in stock all the same

I didn't really pay much attention to that until now..The one I got was the TVPREAMP1E..It also has the separate VHF and UHF inputs..The ad shows 12E model.They had 3 in stock all the same
Did not even know that they had a 12E and a 1E model. Good to hear that the 1E you got still has the separate inputs. I have been looking for a spare Z model for when the inevitable happens and I need to replace the one on the mast. Those stocked at the local Lowes had the combined input, which I do not want because I have separate VHF and UHF antennas. Too many models! :rolleyes I will now look for a 1E model (or two) for spares as well. Thanks for the info and hope your project goes well! :)

P.S. After doing some looking around apparently the 12E (combined input) is a replacement for the 1E (separate inputs) so you were lucky to find an old 1E still available. Hoping my luck is as good as yours! :D

I mounted my televese antenna about a month ago. So tryed the orby antenna just to see what it would do. My zip 16130. I received some erie pa channels which is around 45 to 50 miles. Tryed youngstown ohio and got all the channels probably about 40 miles. .My televise antenna has a built in amplifier and I think the power supply is also an amplifier. Orby antenna doesn,t have a built in amplifier and worked better without bieng connected to the power supply. Thanks FTA4PA for your post about the Cm 7777 as I am working on my antenna and will check voltage. My Cm7777 has a bone white box for a power suooly.

My Cm7777 has a bone white box for a power suooly.
That sounds like the CM0747 power supply/power inserter for the original CM7777.

When testing a preaamp, it is often necessary to measure the voltage to the preamp at the preamp. This creates a problem, because you need access to the center conductor when the coax is connected to the preamp. I use a T-Adapter.

Attachments

• 0747inside4.jpg
    0747inside4.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 224
  • CM0747PSrev_1.jpg
    CM0747PSrev_1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 219
  • 0747test1a_1.jpg
    0747test1a_1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 0747test2a_1.jpg
    0747test2a_1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 223
  • T-Adapter.jpg
    T-Adapter.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 222
  • RCAPreampVload3.jpg
    RCAPreampVload3.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 211
Please keep us posted.. especially interested in how the flag pole/antenna mast works. Especially in wind. My plan is to bring the new antenna into the coach via the satellite antenna coax, power supplies and linear amps would be pre configured as a unit in the”electronics bay” .

we had an Arctic Fox 5er for 12 years. Had a Winguard crank up “bat wing”.That system spoiled us, we could pick up the broadcasts from outer space. Now we have a small Winnebago with a little “Jack” antenna.. we must almost visually see the tower before we receive a signal.

Have you considered trying the original antenna as an FM radio before you disconnect it? A buddy has a big 5er with the house FM plumped into the TV antenna, works well on his FM.

Please keep us posted.. especially interested in how the flag pole/antenna mast works. Especially in wind. My plan is to bring the new antenna into the coach via the satellite antenna coax, power supplies and linear amps would be pre configured as a unit in the”electronics bay” .

we had an Arctic Fox 5er for 12 years. Had a Winguard crank up “bat wing”.That system spoiled us, we could pick up the broadcasts from outer space. Now we have a small Winnebago with a little “Jack” antenna.. we must almost visually see the tower before we receive a signal.

Have you considered trying the original antenna as an FM radio before you disconnect it? A buddy has a big 5er with the house FM plumped into the TV antenna, works well on his FM.
My radio antenna actually works pretty good surprisingly..I just received the mast today so hopefully I will have it installed sometime this week and will post results with a couple pics

Did you decide what antenna you are going to use, or you going to try the orby antenna,s first? I think one of the televese antenna,s might be good for your needs. Most of them have the pre amplifier built into the antenna. The power source plugs into 110 and has 2 outputs. I am preety happy with the one I have but is too big for your use. They have a compact one that is suposed to work well.

Did you decide what antenna you are going to use
I did go ahead and order a Televes DAT BOSS Mix LR tonight but it's looking like I won't have it now for at least a week.. People will know I'm watching TV at the campground with a 7ft long antenna..LOL Going to have to design a quick attach and removal for the antenna to the mast.. raising and lowering the mast won't be a problem since it's attached to the bumper and the ladder. Did alot of thinking and decided I might as well go with the best..I didn't want to get into changing the pre-amp power supply from the original 12volt one in the camper so I'll just have to see how it works out.The Televes is 12volt output also but I don't know if the camper supply will work with it..

Last edited:
I think you should be happy with the performance. After looking at your camper picture I wonder how you will travel with such a big antenna. Are you planning on taking it inside the camper When you break camp? It should fit thru door if you have a place to lay it down when you get inside. When you get it set up I hope you post a picture.

Yes I'm planning on putting it in the camper for road travel..I have a idea of mounting the antenna on a pipe that I have that will fit over the mast top section and drilling a hole through both pipes and using a pin to hold it in place.. Just like with the flagpole I can stand on the roof and pull each section up and lock them..The mast is going to be harder to rotate since it weighs about 30lb but I have a strap wrench that works pretty good for that..On the bumper there's a piece that's used for holding 2 1/2" fence post that I have 2 locking bolts to hold the mast from turning.The ladder has 2 stainless muffler clamps attached that I leave loose on the pipe but double nuts so mast rotates..Only real concern I have is lifting the antenna with the small pipe up to the roof on the ladder..I look around but couldn't find the weight of the antenna anywhere so not sure how heavy it is..I know some people think about it being dangerous because it's a 34ft mast and another 5ft on that..If there's any wind concern I will just lower the mast...I will definitely post pics of the whole project..I ordered the antenna from Lowes at a surprising low price tax and delivered for $130 with discount.Lets hope lowes actual delivery is the correct antenna..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201004-234712.png
    Screenshot_20201004-234712.png
    40 KB · Views: 241
Take a piece of pipe about six inches long that you can attach your antenna to.

Weld a cap on one end and drill a hole near the bottom of the pipe.

Weld a nut over the hole and place a bolt through the nut that you can use to tighten the pipe to the top of your mast.

We have used this method along with a two piece telescoping antenna mast (about 18 ft.) to be able to watch TV when we go deer hunting, works great and is easily removed and adjusted (no need to try to rotate the whole mast).

I also added a second nut on the bolt to use as a lock nut - it also helps lock the bolt to the pipe when not in use.

Don't forget to bring along a wrench!

I read all comments in this post. You will not need the rca pre amplifier with the televese antenna as the antenna already has its own amplifier built in. You use the power supply that comes with antenna and operates on 110 volt.

I received the antenna directly from Televes friday.Nice that buying from Lowes gets you the direct from manufacturer..I knew that I wouldn't need the RCA pre-amp once I decided on the antenna..I haven't had much time to test it on the mast yet.I did lay the antenna on the roof of the camper and unhook the cable from the original camper antenna and hook it up to the Televes..The camper booster power supply does work on the Televes antenna.Received a very strong signal even with it only on the roof..Can watch the signal meter with the booster on and off..The Televes power supply is 110volt but it's 12volt output to the pre-amp so I don't need to use it since the original Booster is 12volt.. I'm planning on working on it this week..I will have more pics.. It's a fun project

Attachments

• IMG_20201007_152619841.jpg
    IMG_20201007_152619841.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20201007_142010550.jpg
    IMG_20201007_142010550.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20201007_152718809.jpg
    IMG_20201007_152718809.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)