Pre-Wired house question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mllflying

Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Texas
I am wanting to pre-wire my house before Dtv does the install this Fri. I cannot find RG6 Quad solid copper (SBC) cable in my area. Since I have a short amount of time before the install, I can't order online. I can get RG6 Quad copper clad steel (CCS) 3ghz. My runs will be less than 50'. My question is, will the Dtv installer be ok with that or will he want to run his own. Also if someone can tell me were I can get it in Fort Worth, Tx It would be appreciated.

You do NOT need quad shield cable.

My local Home Depot and Lowes both offer 500' lengths of suitable RG6 (black or white) for about $48 so you might start there. If the cable has a cap on the end of it, pull it off to confirm that the center conductor is solid copper.

That's what I bought originally, It's not solid copper core though. After doing some research, it seems that Dtv might require it. Trying to determine if I can get away with the copper clad steel.

That's what I bought originally, It's not solid copper core though. After doing some research, it seems that Dtv might require it. Trying to determine if I can get away with the copper clad steel.

WHOA! That's really weird. Here it is almost impossible to find RG6 that is NOT solid copper core! Are you positive? As Harsh stated, HD and Loews are both flooded by suitable RG6. Good Luck! (nice avatar):cool:

to answer your question CCS will work, but its not recommended, and the installer has the right to force you to allow him to install his own wire or he can walk. Personally I would use whatevers available as long as it isnt 59. Although with the new SWM system 59 is useable as long as the feed line is still 6.

I am wanting to pre-wire my house before Dtv does the install this Fri. I cannot find RG6 Quad solid copper (SBC) cable in my area. Since I have a short amount of time before the install, I can't order online. I can get RG6 Quad copper clad steel (CCS) 3ghz. My runs will be less than 50'. My question is, will the Dtv installer be ok with that or will he want to run his own. Also if someone can tell me were I can get it in Fort Worth, Tx It would be appreciated.

In ten years of installations, using hundreds of rolls of cable I have had two instances of defective cable where a defect in the cable either shorted the line or was open and would not pass a signal. You will be fine.

The tech may not have quad fittings. Your runs are short. Use whatever rg6 you can find............and know that the tech will have cable but not have time to fish walls and cut in boxes.

Leave a foot of slack and let the tech cut his own fittings. Poorly cut fittings cause most newbie problems. You just have to inspect each one for crap in the fitting that shorts the line. Install a bad one and you have to go back and find it.

You might want to pull some cat5 with each run for landline phones. Plates with coax & phone are available.

Joe

Last edited:
Less than 150' runs copper clad will work just fine.

No need for quad sheild in residential install ever.

Get what ever your local home improvement store is selling, it will work fine. Also pull some phone cable while you are at it, and pull atleast 2 lines of RG-6 to every location.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)