Precisely what does the hopper plus module do?

InLaymansTerms

Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
Leesburg FL
PRECISELY what does the little Hopper Plus module do? I've had the Hopper Plus nearly a year and starting a week or so ago we experienced glitches-freeze up and stop go during live programs and recorded shows. After seeing a remedy in this forum, I unplugged the Plus box/module and it cleared up the glitches BUT now we have poor picture quality with dark contrast and I cannot find picture settings in the Dish menu. When Hopper receiver is turned off, my picture quality is perfect. Please advise

PRECISELY what does the little Hopper Plus module do? I've had the Hopper Plus nearly a year and starting a week or so ago we experienced glitches-freeze up and stop go during live programs and recorded shows. After seeing a remedy in this forum, I unplugged the Plus box/module and it cleared up the glitches BUT now we have poor picture quality with dark contrast and I cannot find picture settings in the Dish menu. When Hopper receiver is turned off, my picture quality is perfect. Please advise
Pretty sure you don't have the Plus as it's only been out a few months.
The plus puts the Android OS on the Hopper 2's and 3's

Reactions: charlesrshell
Pretty sure you don't have the Plus as it's only been out a few months.
The plus puts the Android OS on the Hopper 2's and 3's
Sept/2022 I was the first customer to get the Hopper Plus in Eustis Florida and being a long term Dish customer I've had several receivers, I know what I have. Do you have any solutions to fix the poor picture quality after I unplugged the Plus module/box?

I unplugged the Plus box/module and it cleared up the glitches BUT now we have poor picture quality with dark contrast and I cannot find picture settings in the Dish menu. When Hopper receiver is turned off, my picture quality is perfect.
That's a real head scratcher. Others report that the H3 (?) goes back to it's former self after the H+ is unplugged. I am going to guess that you rebooted the H3 and let time pass before coming here.

I'm going to take a WAG at this. Dark contrast sounds like something is stuck in HDR mode, but it's not getting an HDR signal. When you turn off the Hopper, you say your PQ is perfect. Does that mean you switched inputs to some other source? If so, which source?

Post pics of device and screen, please.
Which device? I'm pretty savvy when it comes to audio/visual and my LG 65 inch UHD 4K TV's picture quality is perfect for this particular model and year. The Hopper Plus was installed by Dish technician Sept. 2022. Starting a week and a half ago we experienced freeze ups, black screens and stop/go glitches, and I unplugged the Plus module/box to fix the issue and it did! But now the picture quality is poor; contrast is too dark and colors are not vibrant as before. Picture is perfect when the Hopper is off.

That's a real head scratcher. Others report that the H3 (?) goes back to it's former self after the H+ is unplugged. I am going to guess that you rebooted the H3 and let time pass before coming here.

I'm going to take a WAG at this. Dark contrast sounds like something is stuck in HDR mode, but it's not getting an HDR signal. When you turn off the Hopper, you say your PQ is perfect. Does that mean you switched inputs to some other source? If so, which source?
Yes, I switched inputs. #1 is Hopper #2 DVD player #3 LG TV

When you say you unplugged the Hopper Plus what exactly did you do? Did you just unplug the Hopper Plus?

To remove the Hopper Plus from the Hopper3 you must do the following:
1) Remove the USB connection between the Hopper Plus and the Hopper3.
2) Unplug the HDMI cable from the Hopper Plus and plug it into the Hopper3.
3) Several reboots of the Hopper3 are required.
After all this the Hopper3 will go back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk