Predicted solar storms.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
I am reading that there are supposed to be some solar storms starting Thursday morning and lasting into Friday. Do any of you knowledgeable people on this board have any idea how this could effect our satellite reception ?

I read up on this recent one and probably IMHO it will cause slight sat problems. Haven't seen what this one is rating on the scale but more than likely it won't disrupt satellites very much if at all. We will see once they announce the strength of the SS... USAtoday says that it could make the auroras come as far south as the great lakes. That would just be awesome. But if it is powerful enough to do that it may cause a few problems.

Doubt it will cause much if any issues. If anything this is 1 of 2 months we deal with solar flares affecting satellite signals so you may encounter that but I don't think you'll see much from the storm

Had a message at the office yesterday saying something this extent:

We applogiZe for the blackout....they are normally in the spring and summer caused by the sun.....

Wasnt on long so didn't get to take a pic. Don't know if this is the same topic you guys are referring to.

We applogiZe for the blackout....they are normally in the spring and summer caused by the sun.....

Wasnt on long so didn't get to take a pic. Don't know if this is the same topic you guys are referring to.
I don't think so. Back in the day when I had a C-band setup we always had signal loss twice a year due to the sun being in direct alignment with the satellite and having an overarching power that blocked out the signal. The signal would be blocked out for a minute or two and everything would be OK. I haven't noticed that issue with my D* service.

Solar flares, on the other hand, are events that just send a burst of energy outward that ultimately reaches the earth. Most of this energy is captured by the earth's magnetic field and is redirected toward the poles (hence the aurora borealis always showing up at the poles). I doubt anyone in the continental US would be affected by normal solar flares.

You would be surprised, solar flares can really be screwy with satellite tv. Some times I've seen 2 channels on 1 and seen it completely knock out the signal for a short time. It happens twice a year and we see the issues. It's a real pain trying to explain that to a customer

PhotoBlog - Solar blast could have earthly impact

NASA / LMSAL via SpaceWeather. com

This color-coded image combines observations made by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory in several extreme ultraviolet wavelengths, highlighting a bright X-class flare toward the upper left of the sun's disk on March 6.

By Alan Boyle

The sun unleashed one of the biggest flares ever seen during its current activity cycle late Tuesday — an X5.4-class outburst strong enough to trigger a radio blackout. The resulting geomagnetic storm could affect electrical grids, communication links, satellite navigation systems and airline schedules over the next couple of days. The outburst at 7:24 p.m. ET was followed about an hour later by an X1.3-class blast. Solar flares are rated on a letter-plus-number scale, with X being the most powerful category. Usually the numbers run from 1 to 9, but X-class flares can run higher. The highest reading recorded recently is an X28, observed in 2003.

Joe Kunches, a space scientist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Prediction Center, says the double blast made for a "Super Tuesday," in a different sense from the political meaning. The big question is, what effect will this solar activity have on Earth? The solar blasts threw off waves of electrically charged particles known as coronal mass ejections, or CMEs. Those waves are now speeding outward, and space-weather forecasters expect them to touch off strong geomagnetic storms when they interact with Earth's magnetic field late Wednesday and early Thursday. "The most northern states in the 'Lower 48' should have a chance to see the aurora," the prediction center reported on Facebook.

Could something more serious happen? All this activity is already whipping up an S3 solar radiation storm. "Such a storm is mainly a nuisance to satellites, causing occasional reboots of onboard computers and adding noise to imaging systems," SpaceWeather.com's Tony Phillips said. The coming geomagnetic storm is predicted to reach the G3 level, which could trigger alarms on electrical power systems and create intermittent problems for GPS navigation services. Some airline flights are likely to be rerouted so they don't fly so close to the poles, and problems could arise with communication systems in polar regions. That's the bad news. The good news is that NASA and NOAA have lots of resources in space to monitor solar activity, giving network operators more time to assess and prepare.

Check out NOAA's chart of space weather scales to learn more about what S3, G3 and the other storm desigations mean. Experts at the Space Weather Prediction Center say the storm generated by the X5.4-class flare is on a trajectory to deliver a glancing blow rather than a direct hit on Earth, but they caution that the sunspot region responsible for the flare, AR1429, "remains potent, and subsequent activity is certainly possible." For now, chances are that the most noticeable effect for most people will be an upswing in the number of fantastic pictures of the northern lights. AR1429 has been acting up over the past few days, and SpaceWeather.com has been adding plenty of stunners to its aurora gallery. If you get a nice snapshot, please consider sharing it with us via the Cosmic Log Facebook page or msnbc.com's FirstPerson in-box. The solar storm could cause communication problems, affecting radio and satellite systems. NBC's Tom Costello reports.

Update for 4:40 p.m. ET March 7: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center reports that the coronal mass ejections sent out on Tuesday are projected to impact Earth and Mars as well as several interplanetary spacecraft, including NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, the Messenger probe at Mercury and the sun-watching STEREO-B satellite. The NASA advisory also notes that the X5.4-class flare was the strongest solar outburst since an X6.9 blast on Aug. 9, 2011. In that previous case, the resulting CME was not directed at Earth, and no ill effects were felt.

Update for 5 p.m. ET March 7: A lot of commenters are talking about the Carrington Event of 1859, a solar storm that was so strong it frazzled telegraph wires. That was associated with what was surely an off-the-scale solar flare, much more powerful than the X28 referenced at the beginning of this item — so I've rephrased that reference accordingly.

Last edited:

I saw that message too on Monday I think and it was on for a few minutes. :)

IMAG0387.jpg

Could have possibly had an issue this past Friday. Mother was here for the weekend, and said the tv went out (no signal on input). When I got home from work and checked it out the receiver was off. Just had to turn receiver back on and all was well. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)